Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RayLivingston
Paper Tape
Views: 5,061
Message 1 of 9

Save Me From This HORRIBLE Touchpad!

I have a brand-new Y700 (16GB, UHD, etc.).  Everything about this machine is fine, EXCEPT for the AWFUL touchpad!  It is virtually unusable!  The cursor randomly jumps ALL over the screen, often even jumping to one edge of the screen, then back to several inches from where it was a second before.  When doing two-finger scrolling, it VERY often scrolls a HUGE distance in one direction, then back the other direction.  Clicks, whether in the middle of the touchpad, or down in the left corner, ALWAYS get an audible and tactile "click", but at least 20-30 percent of the time DO NOTHING.  I am reduced to moving VERY slowly, watching the cursor the whole time, waiting after every click to make sure it actually DID something.  This makes EVERYTHING take forever.

Do not suggest changing touchpad/mouse settings.  I have played with every setting there is, and turned nearly all of the "Gee-Whiz" extra features, except for two-finger scrolling OFF.  Touchpad sensitivity is ALL the way DOWN, Palm Tracking is ALL the way UP.  Regardless of ANY settings, the problems are still there.

In addition, the area along the front of the touchpad that is detected as a right-click is often HUGE, while the area that is detected as a left click is often TINY.  So, left-clicks are often missed, or treated as right clicks, unless I go out of my way to click in the extreme left-front corner.

I have just switched fram an ASUS laptop with the same touchpad, with their God-awful SmartGesture touchpad driver, which suffered from many of these same problems, though to a much lesser extent.  I finally got that one to behave by using a generic Elan driver, which worked fine.  I suspect that is the solution here as well, but don't know how to do it, or what driver to use.  On the ASUS, it was installed by a Win10 update.  I REALLY don't want ANY of the fancy touchpad feastures, other than scrolling, so a pretty basic driver is fine.

There MUST be a solution to this....

They keyboard also is nothing to write home about oon this machine, but I can probably live with that.  The touchpad is simply awful.  

Regards,

Ray L.

Guru
Views: 5,048
Message 2 of 9

Re: Save Me From This HORRIBLE Touchpad!

Do you get any semblance of normalcy if you uninstall the touchpad drivers and have Windows treat it as a generic input device?

It's possible you just have a defective touchpad from the factory, in which case you should contact warranty as soon as convenient.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
RayLivingston
Paper Tape
Views: 5,046
Message 3 of 9

How do I do that?  Basically what I want to do is install a generic driver, to rule  out a hardware problem.  But the machine seems really set on installing the latest Lenovo driver.

I found two drivers on the Lenovo support page for this machine, and tried installing the older one.  That was a disaster - as soon as the desktop came up, the mouse cursor disappeared.  When I uninstalled that one, it reinstalled the later one, which is the one the machine came with.

Regards,

Ray L.

RayLivingston
Paper Tape
Views: 5,041
Message 4 of 9

OK, I got it to install a generic PS/2 Mouse driver for the touchpad, and, so far (only a few minutes) it does seem better.  I'll keep it like this and see if it behaves for the next couple of hours.  If so, then I have to believe the hardware is ok, and this is a driver problem, which makes me, more than ever, want to find a simple touchpad driver that supports two-finger scrolling.

I still have the old ASUS, which has been working well for the last few months.  Is there a way to use that driver on the Lenovo?  I can get the driver version, but how would I find a complete install package for it?  And, how would I prevent Windows from over-writing it?

Regards,

Ray L.

Guru
Views: 5,038
Message 5 of 9

According to the driver package, the touchpad in your Y700 could be one of three touchpad manufacturers:
pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/y700-15isk/downloads/ds105106

If you can find the corresponding hardware ID, you might be able to find a generic driver for that brand.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
RayLivingston
Paper Tape
Views: 5,035
Message 6 of 9

It is definitely an Elan touchpad - the touchpad properties in the task bar brings up an Elan touchpad dialog.

I've now tried two different "generic" drivers - one the Windows default PS/2 mouse driver, and the other an ancient (ca. 2010) Elantech driver - both work just fine, but lack the scroll capability.  The ca. 2015 Elantech driver from the Support page is completely hosed (no mouse cursor, or no mouse motion - only clicks work), and the ca. 2016 driver is the one that is giving me all the grief.  Looks like I need to find one from a few years ago, before they added all the Gee-Whiz multi-touch crap, but still has the two-finger scroll.

Why are these things so fussy about the drivers?  I went through years of grief with the Asus, until Windows update finally installed a driver that works (sadly, it's an Asus driver, not generic...).

Regards,

Ray L.

Guru
Views: 5,031
Message 7 of 9

Some drivers are written better than others. Try one of the ones here?
http://smtp.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&func=select&id=89&orderby=2&page=2&l...

The latest I found was version 18.2.0.8:
http://smtp.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=2630&lan...

RayLivingston
Paper Tape
Views: 5,017
Message 8 of 9

You may have just saved my sanity!  The v18.2.0.8 driver appears, so far, to work properly.

Thank you!

Regards,

Ray L.

vladaman
What's DOS?
Views: 743
Message 9 of 9

I use Lenovo laptops for 10+ years. Once I got this last T460s my lifetime commitment to brand has changed. I really hate this horrible touchpad. It's hard to press, acceleration sucks, it's unpredictable.

I use Linux for years and switching to Windows Junk is not acceptable to me. I lost faith to the brand and moving to HP. This trackpad has been works desing decision ever.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors