Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

12-12-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 1 of 15

Static noise in left earbud

2019-12-12, 21:53 PM

Hi,

It seems like I may have to repair my laptop but I want to ask the community first to see if there might be solutions. P.S. I did try contacting Lenovo Support but they weren't able to help me aside from telling me to take it to repairs. It's frustrating since this is a brand new laptop.

To start off, like I said, this is a new laptop. It is the Legion Y540. I literally received it a couple days ago, there is nothing wrong with it aside from this audio issue.

Details of the issue:

-static or sometimes faint screeching noise in left earbud

-not constant, sometimes it's quiet  (I would say there is static about 70% of the time)

-static persists sometimes even during music, but sometimes it stops when I play something

-volume change does not affect the static noise, except it gets quieter when I mute sound completely. It doesn't go away completely though

-there is no static noise when I take out the earbuds coming from speakers themselves

Yes I have tried multiple pairs of earbuds, it is always on left earbud only. I haven't tried wireless earbuds yet

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Actually I noticed that sometimes when the static noise stops, it'll start up again as soon as I play music or a video and then it persists. Then it'll stop eventually but then will start up again once I play something

Also, a weird thing I noticed is if I put my fingers around the port when the earbuds are plugged in, the static level changes depending on how much I cover the port. Kinda interesting

Answer
Options

2 Posts

06-27-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20

Re:Static noise in left earbud

2020-06-27, 8:45 AM

1. Right click on wifi icon (right bottom of task bar) and choose Open Network & Internet Settings.

2. Now you are at Network Connections window, Status tab (win10), click on Change Adapter Options

3. Right click on your enabled network adapter (Wi-Fi) and click on Properties

4. Now you are at Wi-Fi Properties window, click on Configure button.

5. Click on Advanced tab,

6. You will see properties in a multilist window, choose Transmit Power.

7. There will be a setting of selected property in the right side, choose the 4- Mid-High or 3- Mid option (I use 4, and default was 5-Highest)

HOPE THIS HELPS. IT WORKED PERFECTLY ON MY Y540 AND I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM

Replies(14)
Options

601 Posts

08-01-2018

United States of America

411 Signins

10555 Page Views

• Views: 10555
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: Static noise in left earbud

2019-12-13, 16:09 PM

Hi owlette!

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Based from the description on what is happening on your computer is that it is completely a hardware issue with the port. It can be grounded or misalignement with the audio jack. 

Apologies as the best recommendation we have is by contacting our support team for warranty claims.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist

Regards,

Jerry_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

12-12-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

Re: Static noise in left earbud

2019-12-13, 20:48 PM
Aww man that really sucks. Hopefully repairs don't take long. Do you know if I will have to ship out the laptop to a certain location or whether I can just drop it off to some sort of place? I really don't want to pay for shipping costs just because Lenovo messed up a brand new laptop. I'm already wasting so much time because of this problem
Options

6 Posts

02-08-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 4 of 15

2020-03-20, 13:08 PM

I have now had this very same issue on two brand new Y545 's ! static noise in left earbud that begins whenever i play any sound and continues for like a minute after stopping the sound and then stops. Repeats for every sound played. ON TWO NEW LAPTOPS. This is not a hardware issue, this is a severe product and design defect. 

I've had a heap of other issues as well with these crappy laptops, same issues on two BRAND NEW laptops, and even posted 2 posts here on the forum. And for some reason no one is offering help. I don't know if it's just the terrible Legion line to blame or if Lenovo has gone to complete sh*t. Many years ago i bought an Ideapad which seemed to run well for a long time and so I chose to trust Lenovo. I don't think you can trust Lenovo anymore...

Options

17 Posts

09-30-2019

Norway

36 Signins

312 Page Views

• Views: 312
  • Message 5 of 15

2020-03-20, 17:22 PM

I have the exact same issue on a brand new Y740. Static noise on the left channel when using wired headphones. In my unit, it kind of sounds like rustling wind but the noise stays at a constant level regardless the volume level. Strangely, if i turn the volume to zero it becomes completely silent but 1% volume is enough to turn on the left side static noise. Once you notice it, it's quite irritating. Hardware or driver issue? Hope it can be fixed with a driver update.

Answer
Options

2 Posts

06-27-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 6 of 15

2020-06-27, 8:45 AM

1. Right click on wifi icon (right bottom of task bar) and choose Open Network & Internet Settings.

2. Now you are at Network Connections window, Status tab (win10), click on Change Adapter Options

3. Right click on your enabled network adapter (Wi-Fi) and click on Properties

4. Now you are at Wi-Fi Properties window, click on Configure button.

5. Click on Advanced tab,

6. You will see properties in a multilist window, choose Transmit Power.

7. There will be a setting of selected property in the right side, choose the 4- Mid-High or 3- Mid option (I use 4, and default was 5-Highest)

HOPE THIS HELPS. IT WORKED PERFECTLY ON MY Y540 AND I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM

1 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

12-12-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2020-07-07, 8:43 AM
So actually since I made this post, the static noise is very rare (or maybe I just don't notice it as much anymore). It does still show up sometimes though I will try this solution and let everyone know if it worked or not. What exactly does "Transmit Power" do? What will be changed if I switch it from 5 to a lower number, is there any difference in performance?
Options

1 Posts

07-28-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 8 of 15

2020-07-28, 3:20 AM
this issue still persist in legion 5 (2020). and this solution still worked. thanks
Options

1 Posts

08-08-2020

Thailand

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 9 of 15

2020-08-08, 21:32 PM

Lenovo Legion 5 4800H, GTX 1650Ti (brought 8/2020) has this problem too and the above fix works (decreasing wifi adapter transmit power from 5 to 4)

thank you for the solution

Options

3 Posts

11-01-2019

United States of America

3 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 10 of 15

2020-11-02, 21:05 PM

I didn't do the exact thing as the solution poster, but after reading the post about it being related to wifi it all started to line up. I was hearing static every time the internet kicked in. I never had this problem before but what I had done recently was update my drivers. So I decided to roll back my lan and wlan drivers and poof, the problem was gone.

Thanks so much for pointing out it was related to wifi!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)