Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

03-14-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

182 Page Views

• Views: 182
  • Message 1 of 141

Y740 Stop the RIDICULOUS Spiral Rainbow Keyboard backlight effect!! Let us turn it off!!

2019-10-17, 19:35 PM

I'm not an affluent 10-year-old trying to impress my 9 year old friends.

For the love of God, is there any way to stop my Y740 from always booting with this stupid rainbow lighting effect? It only stops with "iCue" gets up and running, and then obnoxiously returns when the laptop is on the lock-screen. There's no BIOS control either.

I saw somewhere that there is firmware for the keyboard--is there a version that I can flash that simply shows static white colors upon startup? Is there a way to hack the firmware (i.e., compiles from a human-readable language)?

Moderator note: Comment removed which did not comply with the Community Rules.

Admin Edit: Added the Model regarding which the discussions was created.

Answer
Options

10215 Posts

08-17-2015

Slovakia

26758 Signins

581450 Page Views

• Views: 581450

Re:Stop the RIDICULOUS Spiral Rainbow Keyboard backlight effect!! Let us turn it off!!

2021-03-02, 11:02 AM

Hi all,

I have received flash files for a blue alternative for the spiral rainbow keyboard effect from our developers, which is zipped and attached to this message. The archive contains two folders, one for the 15" and the other one for the 17" version of the Y740. There is no other source for these files other than the attached archive on this message, it's not going to be officially released on our support page and there is no official support for this tool, but most importantly, you're using these files at your own risk.

To flash the FW of your keyboard, unzip the archive and choose the correct folder based on the screen size of your Y740. Run ITESHFU.exe and let it flash the FW of your keyboard. After it's done, the exe is going to generate a log in the folder in which you ran it, which is going to state whether the flash was successful or failed.

Best regards,

Juraj
German, Czech & Slovak Community Lead

EN : Welcome to the Community! Have you already participated in the forum survey? Please, let us know what you like about our forum and what we can improve. We listen to your feedback!

DE : Willkommen in der Community! Hatten Sie bereits an der Foren Umfrage teilgenommen? Wir benötigen die folgenden Informationen. Wir hören zu und lesen Ihre Kommentare gerne!

CZ/SK : Vítejte v Komunitě! Už jste se zúčastnili našeho průzkumu fóra? Potřebujeme následující informace. S radostí posloucháme a čteme vaše komentáře!
_
Communities: English Deutsch Español Portugues Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Moto English
_

Replies(140)
Options

7 Posts

11-06-2019

Finland

19 Signins

306 Page Views

• Views: 306
  • Message 2 of 141

Re: Stop the RIDICULOUS Spiral Rainbow Keyboard backlight effect!! Let us turn it off!!

2019-11-07, 10:53 AM

Hi,

being a torpid layabout, I will just paste my comment from another related thread here.

Anyhow. Same issue. This is an absolute disaster for me. I have a sensory idiosyncrasy, so this gives me instant nausea. Furthermore, I need to install Arch Linux on this machine so very likely I cannot control the ghastly bedlam of colours at all, as it happens. 

On Windows, as you are very much aware, should I lock my account, the infuriating disco goes off again and keeps on going until I unlock the flipping thing. Every time I open the lid - there we go... Also, I find it quite embarassing in cafés and, frankly, anywhere in public. 

I utterly fail to see why on earth should they implement such a tacky feature and leave it unconfigurable. To me this is such an issue (ref. my first point) that I probably have to take this one back to retailer. What a shame, truly.

Any solutions yet? Where could I download the firmware downgrade ASAP?

PS. One of the main reasons I bought this Y740 was that is was discreet  as opposed to gaming laptops of yesteryear. Also, most reviews pointed out this subtlety of design as a definite plus, thus influencing my decision to purchase. Not very unostentatious anymore. At least my 6-yo is delighted - a piffling consolation.

Cheers,

-j-

Options

17 Posts

09-30-2019

Norway

36 Signins

312 Page Views

• Views: 312
  • Message 3 of 141

Re: Stop the RIDICULOUS Spiral Rainbow Keyboard backlight effect!! Let us turn it off!!

2020-01-21, 4:27 AM

No one really asked for the spiral rainbow. It's there only for show, not use. Ever. You see it once and that's that. It IS ridiculous and takes away not only from the image of the laptop because it makes it look like a juvenile thing, but it also affects the person using it, specially on a professional or crowded environment. It's not cool Lenovo, not at all. The blue light is acceptable, and no light is better than the obnoxious spiral. Update the firmware again, remove the idiotic spiral from our faces, and put it like it was before. Blue light is more than enough.

Another thing; with the last keyboard firmware update (1311), the LED's don't save the brightness level set by the user during use. If you turn the laptop off and on, the LED's turn on at full brightness. Please, have the courtesy of fixing these issues in order to make the use of your products a pleasant experience. Thanks. 

Options

2 Posts

03-09-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 4 of 141

Re:Stop the RIDICULOUS Spiral Rainbow Keyboard backlight effect!! Let us turn it off!!

2020-03-19, 14:43 PM

please let me turn off the rainbow RGB. 

Moderator note: Comment removed which did not comply with the Community Rules.

Options

35 Posts

12-09-2012

United States of America

104 Signins

623 Page Views

• Views: 623
  • Message 5 of 141

2020-03-28, 0:32 AM

Agreed, Lenovo!  It's clear from your understated design (for a gaming laptop) that you're going for a more discreet look that doesn't look out of place in the business world.  It's why I chose this laptop.

So...why the heck would you torpedo your own marketing intentions and simultaneously alienate your users with this absurd spiral rainbow and not let users turn it off?!  Do you really think we want this psychedelic visual vomit kicking in when we resume our laptop in front of clients and colleagues?  Frankly I feel like I need to apologize to those that see it.  Is this the kind of advertising you want?

Let us disable this at the BIOS level.  What's the harm in that? We shouldn't even need to load iCUE to get this basic control.

Hoping you'll seriously consider acting on our feedback.

Options

1 Posts

04-03-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 6 of 141

2020-04-03, 9:12 AM

YES, full consent and support for getting the ridiulous rainbow turned off...!

Everything is said, so LENOVO update the bios/firmware as soon as possible!

Thanks!

Options

1 Posts

07-14-2020

Canada

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 7 of 141

2020-07-14, 12:24 PM

Wow. Please give us the ability to turn this off. I absolutely hate it. Agree with the comments above - the reason I chose this is the understated design! Having a rainbow circus when the screen is locked or booting is downright embarassing.

Options

1 Posts

07-14-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 8 of 141

2020-07-14, 18:33 PM

My understanding is the only way to end this is to uninstall iCUE completely

Options

21 Posts

03-14-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

182 Page Views

• Views: 182
  • Message 9 of 141

2020-07-14, 20:03 PM

Sadly, it's built in to the firmware of the keyboard lighting, and powers-on this way. Running iCUE is the only known way to disable it, and the iCUE service is always churning away some of the CPU for no good reason. I've re-flashed the keyboard firmware before, but the new firmware apparently also powered-on in the rainbow swirl state.

Options

4 Posts

07-08-2020

Canada

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 10 of 141

Stop the RIDICULOUS Spiral Rainbow Keyboard backlight effect!! Let us turn it off!!

2020-07-15, 8:03 AM
I have the Legion 7i with the exact same issue. I can't find a way to turn off the rainbow RGB on startup.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms