Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

07-30-2020

Sweden

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 11 of 146

Re:Stop the RIDICULOUS Spiral Rainbow Keyboard backlight effect!! Let us turn it off!!

2020-07-30, 15:56 PM

This is horrible! I bought the 17-inch rtx 2070 model few days ago and got instantly frustrated by the fact I couldn't find the way to permanently turn off blue-light. It would always return at reboot. Today (before I found this thread) I did firmware update and now it's even worse - I get freaking rainbow lights instead! I'm not 9 year old - I'm in late 30s and just want to have a descrete business + gaming laptop = the main reason I went from this design. Give us possibility to turn off this circus on BIOS-level! 

The only comfort is that I got the computer really cheap here in Sweden since this is the previous years model - otherwise I would have returned it to the retailer at once. So I'm keeping it. But if I'm ever to buy a Lenovo computer again - I'm expecting Lenovo to fix this in next firmware. Why forcing us to watch this light show ? .

Options

1 Posts

08-04-2020

Afghanistan

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 12 of 146

Re:Stop the RIDICULOUS Spiral Rainbow Keyboard backlight effect!! Let us turn it off!!

2020-08-04, 10:18 AM

I bought this laptop because its simple design for business and pleasure. I then realised that its ruined with this mandatory circus show.
This lightshow also makes my head hurts due to dislexia.
I understand the initial idea of yours, however there should be a choise to opt it out by the user.
Please make a new update as soon as possible, my head hurts.
It seriously ruins the overall good quality of this 7i laptop.

Moderator note: Comment removed which did not comply with the Community Rules.

Options

3 Posts

08-07-2020

Romania

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 13 of 146

2020-08-07, 18:41 PM

I also have a 7i and I find it incredible that I can't turn off that light effect. I am 40 years old and I am ashamed to start my laptop at work ... 

Options

1 Posts

08-08-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 14 of 146

2020-08-08, 21:23 PM

Dang, I've had my Legion 7i for two days and came here looking for an answer. Sad that there's no fix for this yet. My Cooler Master CK552 keyboard has the ability to change the lighting effects via the keyboard firmware, so this should be able to as well.

Options

12 Posts

08-10-2020

Netherlands

18 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 15 of 146

2020-08-10, 13:45 PM

My main issue isn't even the effects itself but the fact that iCue software cuts your battery life in half. This is a well documented issue that's been going on for two years now. 

Lenovo please find a way to let us disable RGB altogether so I can uninstall all Corsair software and actually use this laptop on the go..

Recent 7i reviewer finding this:

Go to https://twitter.com/JarrodsTech/status/1287191617594470400

and the comments on this video:

Quick search on Google gives plenty of hits for other laptops as well, unfortunately going back as much as two years so I doubt Corsair is going to fix this issue:

https://www.google.com/search?q=corsair+service+battery+drain&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNL913NL913&oq=corsair+service+battery+drain&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.5843j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Options

12 Posts

08-10-2020

Netherlands

18 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 16 of 146

2020-08-13, 16:24 PM

I asked support and they just gave me some nonsense about there being a chip somewhere that controls this and that there isn't a way to disable it on startup. Seems to me the bios needs to tell that chip to start so the bios should then also be able to disable said chip..

Anyway, I did find that iCue isn't necessary. You can just uninstall the whole thing and then use the FN + spacebar and FN + arrow down to disable the light. It will remember being disabled on sleep mode but when you restart you need to disable RGB manually again.

There's also a button in Vantage and in the Vantage quick settings to enable/disable keyboard back light but that doesn't work for me. 

Options

12 Posts

08-10-2020

Netherlands

18 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 17 of 146

2020-08-16, 10:58 AM
Update: the remembering is inconsistent but I think it will remember when the laptop hibernates and not when it goes to sleep. In other words, you spend quite a bit of time thumping the FN + Down Arrow :(.
Options

21 Posts

03-14-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

182 Page Views

• Views: 182
  • Message 18 of 146

2020-08-16, 13:41 PM

While the overall problem isn't fixed (i.e., allow us to set a reasonable basic back-light in BIOS), after seeing the replies over the past year, I decided to look in to this again... and I found a work-around (as others have mentioned). This assumes iCue is installed and normally running with Windows (assuming you want to customize your back-light---I chose a rather dim red color). M_Netherlands shared a way to avoid iCue altogether assuming you're OK with the other back-light presets.

If you manually lock your laptop and leave it on, you can then FN-space to toggle the lighting presets. Unfortunately, it always defaults to rainbow spiral, but after pressing FN-space multiple times (while locked), you can cycle through some presets. When you type in your password, it'll return to your custom lighting program... so no spiral while locked. So...

Win-L, FN-Space to get the solid bright blue light

or

Win-L, FN-Space, FN-Space to turn off the keyboard back-light (but you'll get this bizarre light animation when typing in your password---best to look away)

or 

Win-L, FN-Space, FN-Space, FN-Space to turn off the keyboard back-light completely

...not ideal, but at least there's a relatively simple way to avoid the rainbow spiral while the laptop is on/unattended.

Options

10 Posts

08-07-2020

United States of America

10 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 19 of 146

2020-08-17, 19:15 PM

Bump

My Legion 7i should arrive soon and need this disabled for the office.

Asking for Lenovo Rep to respond.

Options

4 Posts

07-25-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 20 of 146

2020-08-18, 3:11 AM

Stupidest move in the history of laptop manufacturing! Idiotic, childish. Probably designed by a 12yr old! Not professional at all! I hope this idiot get their acts together and fix this!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms