Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kremore
Blue Screen Again
Views: 743
Message 1 of 10

Thermal Repaste Lenovo Y720

Hi!

I am seriously starting to think about if my Y720 even has thermal paste.... haha!

I want to change the thermal paste, but there are a billion different types of thermal paste.

Now i want to ask.... Which one is the very best for my Y720? To get the best balance between Performance and Temperatures?

Kind Regards 

Yoran Kremer

Y720

I7-7700HQ

GTX1060

16GB DDR4 RAM

256GB + 1000GB

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 730
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thermal Repaste Lenovo Y720

@Kremore wrote:

I want to change the thermal paste, but there are a billion different types of thermal paste.

The guy in the following thread had the same idea -- repaste the CPU to lower the temperatures.  But after numerous repastes, he ended up with temperatures that were higher than the temperatures that he had with the original paste.  Might be worth reading:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Y720-Overheating-after-re-pasting/m-p/4107333

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

RabidSasquatch0
Token Ring
Views: 710
Message 3 of 10

While worth reading the above (I was the guy trying to help in that thread, not trying to boast but rather to help you understand where im coming from), I have no idea how that happened.  Either he had an excellent  application to begin with or something went wrong, either way I wouldn't take it to be the norm.

In that same vein, I dropped 20 degrees (at first, its probably averaged out to 15 or so on the CPU and 10 or so on the GPU a few months after the fact) using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, not to be confused with Conductonaut (which is liquid metal, I don't suggest that due to the number of issues that can arise from electrically conductive thermal compound).  I wouldn't expect this result either (just being honest, my paste job was terrible and I would hope worse than most).  That said, if you do feel strongly about replacing it, that has my recommendation, it's got the highest thermal conductivity of any (non sketchy) non-conductive thermal compound (it transfers heat better than anything else).  Downside is its a few bucks more than its competitors, but for $10 I feel like its a worthwhile investment.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 697
Message 4 of 10

I use arctic silver 5.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Kremore
Blue Screen Again
Views: 645
Message 5 of 10

I did some research on the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, and it seems pretty good. 

Also researched alot about the Repasting. And i know exactly how to do it right now.

I will get my Grizzly Kryonaut pretty soon, so i will get back here when i applied it and of course i will leave a Stress Test with the results of the temperatures!!

Thanks In Advance

Yoran 

kingzed97
Fanfold Paper
Views: 304
Message 6 of 10

Hey! How did it go with the rapaste? Is the thermal grizzly good?

Kremore
Blue Screen Again
Views: 295
Message 7 of 10

Its amazing!! Temps dropped more than 20 Degrees, Especially under load.... while gaming etc!! Which was just like i wanted it to do!

Thermal grizzly is Amazing as long as you clean the stock paste good and don't put too much grizzly.

Yoran

Shiho
SCSI Port
Views: 251
Message 8 of 10

"Also researched alot about the Repasting. And i know exactly how to do it right now."

Could you please tell us, the other users, how to do it ?
kingzed97
Fanfold Paper
Views: 249
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for your answer! What are your avarage temps while playing?

eddggoo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 126
Message 10 of 10

can you post your temps , what are your gpu and cpu temp 20 degerees lower to  ?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors