12-03-2017

US

3 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 1 of 9

Two issues with ELAN touch pad

2017-12-03, 18:57 PM

I have a Legion Y520 I bought a few months ago, and I'm having two issues with the touchpad.

Issue 1: Two-finger tap for right-click

The ELAN software has lots of settings and gestures I can set: tapping, scrolling swiping, three-finger, four-finger, etc. However, it's missing the one option I want: two-finger tap for right-click. I was able to get it working anyway with some registry edits I found online, but with the recent Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update, the two-finger tap is no longer working, which is annoying.

Is there a reason the two-finger tap option isn't in the settings? I've seen posts from four or five years ago that mention installing the ELAN software from other vendors (ASUS, etc.), but that just seems like it shouldn't be required. (I still don't understand why there are branded versions of drivers, either, if someone feels like explaining that to me. It just seems needlessly confusing and complicated.)

Issue 2: ELAN touch-pad icon

In the ELAN settings, there's the option to display a dynamic icon, static icon, or no icon at all. I have "no icon" set, but everything I restart my laptop, the icon is there. If I go back into the settings and change it to one of the other options and back, it goes away. Sometimes, just opening the settings and tabbing through a bit will make it go away as well. I think once it went away on its own, after showing up post-reboot and just waiting a while (minutes? hours? I'm not sure).

Why does the icon keep showing up on reboot when the option to not show it is selected? How can I get the software to respect that setting consistently?

For the record, I called Lenovo Support about this (apparently Live Chat isn't available in my country, the USA?) and since it's a software issue, it was going to cost $200/yr for Premium Support or a one-time $69 cost for just this issue. Yeah... no thanks. So here I am on the forums, hoping someone can help me.

Thanks in advance!

Options

16 Posts

11-17-2017

BR

77 Signins

760 Page Views

• Views: 760
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Two issues with ELAN touch pad

2017-12-05, 0:21 AM

Dear, I can update you regarding the 1st issue.

I contacted ELAN developers asking why there is no two-finger tap for right click and the answer was: "...this part of the driver design specifications are based on Lenovo's request..."

So it's not up to us, it's up to Lenovo to ask ELAN to add this option in the software.

We can press the touchpad with two fingers to access the context menu (secondary mouse button).

This function is called 2 Finger Clicking (2 Finger to press).

Hope it helped.

Options

4 Posts

12-03-2017

US

3 Signins

58 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2017-12-05, 3:22 AM

Thanks for the info about the two-finger tap issue. I can't imagine why Lenovo would ask ELAN to remove that. It just seems so unnecessary to do so.

When you say "We can press the touchpad with two fingers to access the context menu (secondary mouse button). This function is called 2 Finger Clicking (2 Finger to press).", what do you mean? This is exactly the functionality that isn't working. I had to make the same regisitry changes I made before to get that to work again. It's annoying, but at least it works now.

Thanks again for the info! Hopefully someone will have info on the other issue, as well.

Options

16 Posts

11-17-2017

BR

77 Signins

760 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2017-12-05, 10:21 AM

When you tap you don't apply force, just like your touch screen smartphone.

The function that works using to fingers, you have to apply force and press the touchpad.
You have to use both fingers at the same time and click the touch pad, until you hear the usual "clicking".

Try it.

Options

4 Posts

12-03-2017

US

3 Signins

58 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2017-12-06, 1:06 AM
My touch pad (the one on the Legion Y520) doesn't click. It has two buttons that click, but the touch pad itself doesn't. When I press with force, nothing happens. Still, as I said, I was able to get two-finger tapping to work with registry edits. It still makes no sense to me why Lenovo would ask ELAN to remove that functionality, nor do I understand why Lenovo has their own version of the ELAN software in the first place. I'm wondering if I can just install the non-vendor-specific version of the driver instead, but I don't want to break anything or lose any other functionality.
Options

16 Posts

11-17-2017

BR

77 Signins

760 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2017-12-06, 12:23 PM

Hi, i'm sorry for the missundertanding regarding your model (Y520)

I own a Y720 and mine doesn't have the right and left buttons outside the touchpad. Both buttons are in the touchpad itself.

Summarising, there is nothing we can do to "fix" it. It depends on Lenovo's request to ELAN to add this feature to the touchpad software.

Options

6 Posts

06-08-2018

BR

27 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 7 of 9

2018-06-14, 23:58 PM

Any updates? In my laptop this option is showed (Elantech Driver) but is not working.

I tested withUbuntu live boot and Touchpad works fine, including the "Two fingers tap".  Lenovoo support is very poor.

Regards

Options

1 Posts

09-21-2018

DK

3 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 8 of 9

2018-09-22, 6:00 AM

I have kind of the same issue with my brand new Lenovo V330. Nothing happened when trying two-finger click or tap. After trying various tips about Elan touchpads on Lenovo I have managed to activate two-finger click for right-click. Because my other computers are able to do two-finger-tap I would very much like my new computer to do this too. I have been through settings in the Elan software, changing in regedit and even resetting the entire computer. I am open for ideas. 

Options

6 Posts

06-08-2018

BR

27 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 9 of 9

2018-09-23, 1:59 AM

I solved with this changes in regiistry.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4f4xm5pc2midlat/enable.reg?dl=0

Download, execute and reboot to make efect.

Regards

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms