Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-17-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 6

Unable to Complete Setup After Reset of Legion 5-17IMH05H

2021-10-17, 16:28 PM

I recently did a reset of my Lenovo Legion 5-17IMH05H using the downloadable USB Key tool provided by Lenovo. The process seemed to go smoothly, from the reformatting of the SSD to the reinstallation of all of the software. After a brief period, I was greeted with Cortana's familiar voice as she started to walk me through the Windows setup process. Everything went fine until we got to the screen where the system connected to the Internet and attempts to contact Microsoft. At that point, I become stuck in an endless loop. I will select my Internet connection and enter my login information. Cortana will tell me that the laptop was successful connecting to the Internet, and the unit will proceed with contacting Microsoft...only that contact never happens. I get the screen that says "Checking the connection to Microsoft. This might take a while." After a while, that screen will switch to one that says "Looks like something happened. Let's try reconnecting." At that point, one of two things happens...either the unit switches back to the Checking the Connection to Microsoft screen again, or I am taken back to the screen where I have to select my Internet connection. I cannot seem to get past this point of the setup.

What I have tried:

• My original connection attempt was via a WiFi connection originating from my Internet provider's gateway.
  • After the WiFi connection was unsuccessful, I tried connecting via an ethernet cable. Same result.
  • I also have a wireless router and range extenders in the house, so I attempted the connection through each of those. Same result.
  • Thinking that something in the security of my Gateway/ISP might be blocking the connection, I tried connecting via a hotspot from my phone. Same result.
  • I read on a blog post somewhere that you can get Windows to allow you past this screen if you have no available Internet connections, then you can go back and set up your Internet once you are in Windows. I powered off my gateway, router, and range extenders and tried the setup process again. This was unsuccessful as the laptop was still able to pick up WiFi signals being broadcast from my neighbors' houses.
  • Since I can't exactly tell my neighbors to turn their Internet off, I went into the BIOS during bootup and disabled the WiFi card. I did not see an option for disabling the ethernet card. When I got to the setup screen where I am supposed to choose my Internet connection, it showed the ethernet port as an option but indicated that there was no connection there (I had the cable unplugged), yet Windows did not present me with an option to proceed without an Internet connection.
  • I made sure that all external devices were disconnected from the computer prior to this process, so no external SSDs, HDDs, flight controllers...even my monitors were disconnected.
  • I also checked the date/time settings in the BIOS to make sure that was not the issue.

I had requested a callback from Lenovo this morning, but that time has come and gone without a call, so hopefully one of you has a solution to this problem.

Options

5625 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

738 Signins

34130 Page Views

• Views: 34130
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Unable to Complete Setup After Reset of Legion 5-17IMH05H

2021-10-18, 11:44 AM

Hello @UKFanInTN ,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I believe there should be an option to skip connecting to the network on the setup page.

However if this is not an option for you it could be because you've already tried connecting to a network previously on the setup.

Would it be possible for you to redo the setup then try not connecting to the network?

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

15 Posts

10-11-2021

Malaysia

9 Signins

205 Page Views

• Views: 205
  • Message 3 of 6

2021-10-18, 16:30 PM

@ UKFanInTN wrote:

I recently did a reset of my Lenovo Legion 5-17IMH05H using the downloadable USB Key tool provided by Lenovo. The process seemed to go smoothly, from the reformatting of the SSD to the reinstallation of all of the software. After a brief period, I was greeted with Cortana's familiar voice as she started to walk me through the Windows setup process. Everything went fine until we got to the screen where the system connected to the Internet and attempts to contact Microsoft. At that point, I become stuck in an endless loop. I will select my Internet connection and enter my login information. Cortana will tell me that the laptop was successful connecting to the Internet, and the unit will proceed with contacting Microsoft...only that contact never happens. I get the screen that says "Checking the connection to Microsoft. This might take a while." After a while, that screen will switch to one that says "Looks like something happened. Let's try reconnecting." At that point, one of two things happens...either the unit switches back to the Checking the Connection to Microsoft screen again, or I am taken back to the screen where I have to select my Internet connection. I cannot seem to get past this point of the setup.

What I have tried:

• My original connection attempt was via a WiFi connection originating from my Internet provider's gateway.
  • After the WiFi connection was unsuccessful, I tried connecting via an ethernet cable. Same result.
  • I also have a wireless router and range extenders in the house, so I attempted the connection through each of those. Same result.
  • Thinking that something in the security of my Gateway/ISP might be blocking the connection, I tried connecting via a hotspot from my phone. Same result.
  • I read on a blog post somewhere that you can get Windows to allow you past this screen if you have no available Internet connections, then you can go back and set up your Internet once you are in Windows. I powered off my gateway, router, and range extenders and tried the setup process again. This was unsuccessful as the laptop was still able to pick up WiFi signals being broadcast from my neighbors' houses.
  • Since I can't exactly tell my neighbors to turn their Internet off, I went into the BIOS during bootup and disabled the WiFi card. I did not see an option for disabling the ethernet card. When I got to the setup screen where I am supposed to choose my Internet connection, it showed the ethernet port as an option but indicated that there was no connection there (I had the cable unplugged), yet Windows did not present me with an option to proceed without an Internet connection.
  • I made sure that all external devices were disconnected from the computer prior to this process, so no external SSDs, HDDs, flight controllers...even my monitors were disconnected.
  • I also checked the date/time settings in the BIOS to make sure that was not the issue.

I had requested a callback from Lenovo this morning, but that time has come and gone without a call, so hopefully one of you has a solution to this problem.

@UKFanInTN   This is a known issue with newer versions of Windows 10 (20H2, in particular) that pops up from time to time. Especially after OEM recovery resets.

Can you do SHIFT-F10 (or SHIFT-Fn-F10 if it activates the multimedia keys by default) to bring up the command prompt? If yes, type taskmgr and hit enter to activate Task Manager, find the process called "Network connection flow" and then end task it. This should let you create a local offline account. Alternatively, you can type "taskkill /F /IM oobenetworkconnectionflow.exe" (without the quotes) in the command prompt to kill the offending process directly instead of needing to call up Task Manager first.

Options

4 Posts

10-17-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-10-19, 0:58 AM

Thanks for replying, @Jack_Lenovo1

I had assumed that to be the case as well, but no such luck. After a fresh restore, the system is still demanding that I connect to the Internet so that it can connect to Microsoft and will not proceed past that screen without doing so.

I even did another restore, this time disabling the WiFi in BIOS during the initial boot. All that happened then was the system simply showed the Ethernet port with no valid connection, but still would not let me proceed past that screen. I have yet to find a way to disable the Ethernet card during the boot process.

I have also reached out to Microsoft, but they are insistent that it is a Lenovo issue. I'm not sure where the issue lies, but I do know that the system is recognizing both the ethernet connection and the WiFi connections, and Windows is indicating that it is successfully connecting to each. That leads me to believe that it is a Microsoft issue. But, regardless of who is to blame, I am without a working laptop in the middle of a major work project and with my classes resuming tomorrow. So if you have any more suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Options

4 Posts

10-17-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-10-19, 1:26 AM

Hi @Cogsmith . I am able to successfully access the command prompt and the task manager. What I am not able to do, however, is to find a running process called Network Connection Flow (or anything similar). I tried searching for it in the task manager, then just to make sure I was not missing it, I also tried killing it via the command prompt. There is no such running process. I do have an application running entitled Microsoft Account, but killing that does nothing but restart it. I will not let me get past it to a Windows desktop of any type. I did notice that there is a Windows Explorer process running as well, and that is labeled as Not Responding. Killing that did not seem to have any effect. In looking up OOBE on the Microsoft website, it appears to be the Microsoft Account application, but it simply refuses to allow me past it. Any other suggestions?

Options

4 Posts

10-17-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-10-19, 6:30 AM

Thanks for trying to help, folks. I reached back out to Microsoft for assistance. Since I am a Microsoft 365 subscriber, I was originally routed to business support. After learning that I was reinstalling Windows 10 Home instead of Pro, I was pawned off to consumer/personal support, which is relegated to an online chat system. After waiting for TWO HOURS (I'm not even exaggerating here) just for someone to show up in the chat with me, I finally gave up and logged off. I grabbed an old DVD copy of Windows 10 Pro, changed my boot order in the System BIOS, and now have a working system again. I'm sure I am going to have to download some drivers over the next day or two (like my touchpad is surprisingly not working, but not a big deal since I use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard anyway), but at least I have a working system again. @Cogsmith they did finally acknowledge that it was a known issue and not a Lenovo problem, but still did little to help me. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms