Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Morke97
What's DOS?
Views: 156
Message 1 of 2

Unable to update Microsoft Basic Display Adapter on Lenovo Y520

Hello Smiley Happy

I did a clean reinstall of windows 10 64 bit on my Lenovo Y520, everything was okay until I had to update my Microsoft Basic Display Adapter to Intel Graphics 630, after this update my screen went black and can only be fixed if I boot in safe mode and roll back the driver to MBDA. Without the intel driver I cannot connect another monitor via HDMI to my laptop or change my resolution or even controlling the screen brightness. Please if someone can help that would be awesome, laptop has been stuck like this for weeks and I can't manage to find a fix.

Tried to uninstall in safe mode with ddu all the drivers and then install the Intel Graphics 630 one, but again the same result. Also if I uninstall Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in normal mode and then install the intel 630, when I click on 'Scan for hardware changes' in device manager I get a black screen again. Reinstalled windows like 5 times and upgraded it from 1805 to 1905 build and its still an issue. No clue whats going on I have written 4 threads in different websites since saturday and no one has a clue whats happening. You guys are my last chance before throwing my laptop in the river.

Laptop: Lenovo Y520 Legion

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 1050 ti 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 100
Message 2 of 2

Re: Unable to update Microsoft Basic Display Adapter on Lenovo Y520

Hi Morke97! 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum discussion! 

Just to confirm, can you still login using your account (not in safe mode) to the Windows 10 OS? If yes, please try using the Lenovo vantage app https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/solutions/ht505081?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 and check for a system update, then install them all. After that, restart the laptop and test it again. Let us know how it goes. 

Regards! 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors