12-12-2018 01:18 PM
Note: Model info below signature.
Hi everyone. I was hoping to be able to post an introduction before my first issue, but alas that wasn't in the cards....
I admit to having bunked my own Windows installation - the how isn't important but suffice it to say that I did. Now, I'm looking to recover using Lenovo's factory image, downloaded via DDRS and written to a 16GB USB drive.
The drive was created successfully, and booting from it works without issue. The Lenovo recovery tool comes up, I accept, and it completes to the point where it asks me to remove the [removable media], which I do. I hit OK - and it reboots.
So far, this all seems to work as advertised... then, it reboots.
A few DOS (cmd.exe) windows open up.
Two are minimized, one is visible and has this in the titlebar: Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe - startnet.cmd
This has a bunch of commands and messages, but it stops at a "Press any key to continue . . .", which is never good in an automated process.
The few lines prior to it stopping are as follows:
C:\SWWORK\VolumeD\HddInfo>goto error C:\SWWORK\VolumeD\HddInfo>echo There is some error when read HDD info There is some error when read HDD info C:\SWWORK\VolumeD\HddInfo>echo HDDSUM=2 HDDSUM=2 C:\SWWORK\VolumeD\HddInfo>echo Disk0.TotalSize=0 echo Disk0.TotalSize=0 C:\SWWORK\VolumeD\HddInfo>echo Disk1.TotalSize=0 echo Disk1.TotalSize=0 C:\SWWORK\VolumeD\HddInfo>pause Press any key to continue . . .
The other two (minimized) DOS windows both show this:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.1734.1] Not enough memory resources are available to process this command. X:\>
Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I could do to fix this? I've re-executed the recovery boot from USB twice with the same result.
Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to offer!
Lenovo Legion Y530-15ICH - Core i7 - 16GB - 256GB NVME (Upgrade from 128 NVME) + 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
Solved! Go to Solution.
12-12-2018 06:22 PM
Well, I searched for the same type of problem and only found a few references. What I found was happening was that there were three strange "devices" being detected that all had 0 bytes of space available/free. They were what I would call "Phantom Drives". The strange thing was, if you looked closely enough you'd find that they all had the exact same specs and identifiers as the NVME drive.
I went into DiskPart and performed a manual "rescan" and the disks dissapeared. Unfortunately, the remaining disks were numbered 3 and 4, and the Lenovo restore scripts are looking for 0 and 1. I rebooted after performing a "clean" on the two physical drives, and tried the Lenovo restore again - same results. Apparently, there is no way to force the drives to renumber after the rescan.
At this point, I gave up - I pulled out the 256GB drive, and put the 128GB back in (the one that came with the laptop when I bought it) and everything worked immediately. The Lenovo restore (which I didn't have to do, because the 128GB had the original image on it, but I did anyway as a test) loaded without issue, and the restore completed.
So, I guess this is a long-winded way of chalking this one up to a bad drive. Good thing I didn't pay for it, and inherited it from someone
Hopefully someone out there will find this helpful, if they ever run into the same problem.