Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
louptest123
Paper Tape
Views: 126
Message 1 of 3

Using internal HD for Storage Pool

I have a Y520-15IKBN with 2 TB HDD + 256 GB SSD. I have used up all the memory on the SSD and I would like to add the 2TB HDD via Windows Storage Pool but it is telling me "Can't prepare drives, Close all applications that are accessing the drive, and then try again" Also: "Access is denied (0x000000005)"

I do not have anything on that drive, although when I go to Storage> System & Reserved, under System files it says 270MB: "These system files help Windows run properly. Your PC won't work without them".

I don't want to format this drive under Disk Managemant for fear of deleting those system files. Under Disk Management everything looks fine- 1862.89 GB NTFS, HEalthy (Primary Partition). 

I want to confirm I am not able to use this drive in my Storage Pool. I know I can save files there manually if needed. 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 105
Message 2 of 3

Re: Using internal HD for Storage Pool

Per the document linked below, you would need at least one additional HDD to setup the Storage Pool, which is probably why you are seeing the error.  

What do I need to create a storage space?

You need at least two extra drives (in addition to the drive where Windows is installed). These drives can be internal or external hard drives, or solid state drives.  You can use a variety of types of drives with Storage Spaces, including USB, SATA, and SAS drives. 

Storage Spaces in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces

Cheers,

louptest123
Paper Tape
Views: 91
Message 3 of 3

Re: Using internal HD for Storage Pool

Thank you for the quick response and insight; for my situation that was not the case (I didn't need mirroring) but I was able to finally get the internal drive added to the Pool. If anyone else has this issue (and the drive is completely empty) give this a try- I first disabled the drive in Disk Management, restarted the computer, then went back in and enabled the drive, restarted, and then tried to create the Storage Pool and voila! Everything worked exactly like it should and my 2TB internal drive is pooled with the SSD drive. I still don't know what was "connecting" to my drive preventing me from adding it to the pool but I confirmed there was absolutely nothing on it. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors