Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LanceTheeGamer
802.11n
Views: 680
Message 1 of 3

Why did Lenovo give up on the ultrabay?

Just as the title states. When the y400/500 were first announced and then released, I was so excited. Using the concept of removeable slots,, as found in business machines, to augment a gaming machine seemed like a brilliant idea. And it was, they sold like hotcakes. The y410/510p made some incremental improvements, like activating the iGPU with Optimus and increasing the resolution on the 14" model. As expected, they were popular as well.

Then came the y40/50 and now the y700 series. Lenovo completely designed their gaming lineup, removing the ultrabay and cutting fuctionality. Why? I can have 2 full sized HDD/SSDs and a 42mm M.2 installed in my 14" y410p, but the 15" y50/700 only has 1 full sized bay. Just what. Then instead of 850/860M SLI we get a single 860M in the y50, which was updated to a 960M in the y700. Yes the 860M is a decent card, and beats the 755M handily, but it's practically on par with 755M SLI.

I just find it strange that such a great concept on such popular machines was cut. I'm sure there were issues, but removing the ultrabay just makes Lenovo's newer laptops just another crop of mid ranged machines. They lost a lot of what made them special, and what I feel made the brand take off after the y580 generation. 

y410p - Windows 10 x64 | i7-4700MQ | 16GB RAM |GT 755M SLI| 512GB ZTC M.2 |
3DMark: 4228 - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7029653
tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 645
Message 2 of 3

Re: Why did Lenovo give up on the ultrabay?

Cheap cut backs on even on large foot print notebooks.

An earlier main notebook I bought from HP had dual stata drive installed. Every port available at that time, Firewire, Cardbus, S-video & many others. But now even eSATA is dropped from those that had it as in my T520, only 1 - USB 3.0 (I see 2 on competitors systems), Ultrabay was on the T520 which is a 15.6" chassis. But even on my current Z70-80 ports are minmal and no 2nd HD capability, no eSATA, & the only fast port is USB 3.0 which is only one. Real time transfer don't seem fast at all which could be the driver but come on with 17.3" base there is room for more ports an a 2nd HD. Heck even the DVD drive is not swappable (not ultrabay) but requires the back taken off. Yours and mine are NOT entry level low cost systems. Adding ports to these are not possible. The old Cardbus slot allow eSATA, & any other port to be added even discrete video. No we in purchasing need to be clearly aware of these limitation and look for a system that has what is wanted. In many of the cases EG USB & SATA controllers are already there and merely wiring up an additional port or two for additional connectivity is all that's needed.
Display spanning needs a dedicated port (VGA I have for that) but DVI would be better for higher res panels for display spanning. Most system seem to think you should use the HDMI port (NO, for multimedia only).

I don't think the designers like in the real world and newbies from some school short listing the design. Rock solid cooling quiet running should be job #1 but clearly is not based on years of reading posts on various products built by Lenovo. This includes the ThinkPads
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Guru
Views: 633
Message 3 of 3

Re: Why did Lenovo give up on the ultrabay?

I can readily attest to that, I have the 755m SLI and its pretty much playing the latest games at high settings. It has a heat problem but if you know you can easily combat that.

To keep the cost low, I guess that's where Lenovo makes the cuts. Putting in a 960m is probably the biggest disadvantage.

They have been taking feedback but really a gaming laptop needs to have a high end GPU with good price. At the moment, you can find $1k laptops that have the 970m.

I am not a fan of SLI much since several games need special drivers or compatibilty to make use of that. Also, anything below 30 fps on SLI results in Stuttering, which does not happen on a single GPU. I am all in for a strong single GPU such as the 970 or 980m.

I think a good configuration should have 980m and Lenovo needs to keep the price competitive. Frankly for a gaming laptop, you need a good CPU, great GPU and min 8GB RAM + superior cooling + Open BIOS. All that while keeping the price low can certainly make Lenovo get ahead.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors