Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

09-30-2019

Norway

36 Signins

312 Page Views

• Views: 312
  • Message 1 of 7

Fan Curve On The Latest 1.10 BIOS For The Legion Y740-IRH

2020-07-06, 13:27 PM

On the latest 1.10 BIOS for the Legion Y740-IRH, Quiet Mode keeps the fans running for longer, or makes them run harder. Balanced Mode, makes the fans slow down or even stop. It was not like that on the 1.08 BIOS where Quiet Mode actually turned off the fans almost immediately. Test with MSI Kombustor, for example. Start with Performance Mode and, during testing, if Quiet Mode is selected, the system fans will ramp up much more. Having a website open, or writing a document with Quiet Mode on will keep the fans running but, as soon as you change Thermal Mode to Balanced, the fans stop?

HWiNFO64 reports 25 Watt for Quiet Mode (fans start and stop more often, run longer, noisy system), 60 Watt for Balanced (fans stop for longer, much longer intervals in between fans working), 70 Watt for Performance, which keeps the fans running at low speed, if just idle. Maybe the latest 1.10 BIOS update messed the fan curve or thermal modes for this laptop?  Issue is, using less power, why is the system using the fans for longer? Undervolting maintains the behavior. Can someone double check this? Thanks!

Options

17 Posts

09-30-2019

Norway

36 Signins

312 Page Views

• Views: 312
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Fan Curve On The Latest 1.10 BIOS For The Legion Y740-IRH

2020-07-08, 4:25 AM

Apparently, the issue was within Windows 10 power plan. CPU cooling policy was set to passive. It DOES affect fan behavior. Changed the setting to active, and now, in Quiet Mode, the laptop is back to keeping the fans off most of the time.

EDIT: Nope. Still under the impression that the thermal modes and the fan curves are somehow switched around. In Vantage, changing from Quiet to Balanced immediately stops the fans so, same behavior. Funny thing is, Balanced Mode allows more power into the CPU. Lenovo shenanigans...

Options

17 Posts

08-01-2019

Canada

29 Signins

211 Page Views

• Views: 211
  • Message 3 of 7

2020-12-25, 0:58 AM

Yes, I do have somewhat similar issue with this quiet, balanced and performance mode. In my case there's no way on earth those settings work at all.

Honestly I do not understand why Lenovo would give us those three setting in their lenovo garbage application where we can easily change all the settings in windows??

Why???? 

My fans on quiet mode run the loudest, balanced and performance are just there for the show so I can throw a tomato right to the lenovo logo.

While gaming I use quiet mode because guess what.. my fans are running fast and loud and tahts exactly what I want, and most importantly I do not have any drops in CPU/GPU frequency/power. Funny. 

Please Lenovo. Just stop.

In general I am NOT HAPPY with lenovo thermals. the fan speed is a total disaster, the performance modes are even bigger **bleep**ups.

Not to mention the recent change to windows[or wherever the change took place] where I can no longer undervolt my CPU because ... "hey ... we only want your CPU to be nicely fried and crisp."

Great solutions from both teams, Lenovo and Windows.

PS:

I recenetly found out that the fan's max speed is turned on while throttling is detected, so if  you set up your throttling at 80 degrees, that's when your fans are at max speeds.. but guess what.. when I am gaming or doing something demanding I want my fans to be loud at all times and not only when LENOVO DECIDES SO!

Options

3 Posts

12-31-2020

Italy

4 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-12-31, 13:27 PM

Hello, I had the exact same problem and I've become crazy trying to understand why my laptop was unable to play any demanding game despite the hardware (i7 8750H RTX 2060). When I've bought the pc with the original BIOS everything ride smooth as butter with really high fps. Then Lenovo decided to screw up my notebook with BIOS update but, before understanding it, I've tried almost EVERYTHING. 

I've reverted back to BIOS 1.06 and ONLY NOW I'm able to FULLY ENJOY this notebook. I've got a boost in FPS and not a single frame drop. 

Just some Examples from my experience

DOOM ETERNAL

BIOS 1.12 - Ultra Preset - 60-90 FPS - min FPS 30-40 - a lot of stuttering - able to play only with Quiet Mode @2,9-3,2Ghz, with Balanced or Performances GPU has Thermal Throttling

BIOS 1.06 - Ultra Nightmere (highest) - 90-120 FPS - min FPS 60-70 - no stuttering - CPU @3,4Gz or also @3,9Ghz with no GPU Thermal throttling

CYBERPUNK 2077

BIOS 1.12 - High/Ultra, RT off, DLSS Balanced - 40-45 FPS - a tons of stuttering to 15FPS with Balanced/Perf. Stuttering to 30FPS on quite mode

BIOS 1.06 - High/Ultra, RT off, DLSS Balcned - 55-65 FPS - no stuttering but min of 35 FPS

BIOS 1.12 - High/Ultra, RT light on medium, DLSS Balanced - 25-30 FPS with tons of stuttering to 15 FPS

BIOS 1.06 - High/Ultra, RT light on medium, RT reflection on, DLSS Balanced - 35-45 FPS with min FPS to 28-30

FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2020

BIOS 1.12  - Mid Preset with Render scale to 80% - unplayable 30-35 FPS with huge stuttering to 5-10 FPS on Quite/Balanced/Performance

BIOS 1.06 - Mid Preset with Render scale to 100% - 35-50 FPS with no stuttering

In other words: Lenovo is trying to make our wonderful laptop useless in my humble opinion. 

I LOVE my Legion but I don't think I will buy LENOVO Again (and I also have an X1 CARBON for work).

Options

3 Posts

12-31-2020

Italy

4 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 5 of 7

2020-12-31, 13:44 PM
LoL That's the main problem. We do Undervolt our CPU and downclock it in order to keep it cold and to allows the GPU to use extra-power and to work with Higher frequency without thermall throttling. In this way you simply cant', because the fans will run at max speed only when the CPU il throttling (at 94°C!!!!!!!!!!!) and therefore you will always have your GPU throttling. Nicely done Lenovo
Options

7 Posts

12-04-2019

United States of America

18 Signins

154 Page Views

• Views: 154
  • Message 6 of 7

2021-01-04, 0:54 AM

The way the fans work on this laptop is very odd.

Options

7 Posts

12-04-2019

United States of America

18 Signins

154 Page Views

• Views: 154
  • Message 7 of 7

2021-01-05, 17:09 PM

I can't even get the fan speed to show on HWinfo64 i know on my old dell gaming laptop it shows the fan speed but not on the Lenovo.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms