cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cloves
Punch Card
Views: 1,322
Message 1 of 13

Y-700 UEFI Dual Boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 x64 on SSD Drive? Already Dual Booting on Hard Drive

Hi all,

So I just got my replacement y-700. It comes with a 128gb SSD drive. It has windows 10 installed. I want to dual boot and want a copy of windows 7 also on the ssd drive. I have sucessfully installed dual boot on the internal hard drive. Can't replicate on the SSD.

Steps so far:

- Shrunk Windows 10 to make space for windows 7

- Bios is set to "Legacy Support", "UEFI First", USB Legacy "enabled". Secure boot doesn't show up when you pick legacy support.

- I am able to boot with my windows 7 usb stick (my usb drivers are installed) but when I get to the empty partition to install, I get the “Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition”

- So then in the same menu I deleted the empty partition, and then windows gave me this isn't the recommended order to install. But went ahead to see what happened. Files started installing but at the end got an unable error.

So what did I miss? I have the internal drive dual booting no problem.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,296
Message 2 of 13

Re: Y-700 UEFI Dual Boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 x64 on SSD Drive? Already Dual Booting on Hard Dri

@cloves wrote:

- I am able to boot with my windows 7 usb stick (my usb drivers are installed) but when I get to the empty partition to install, I get the “Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition”

I currently have my Windows 7 drive on the HDD, with Windows 10 on the SSD.  So I have not yet tried what you are trying to do.  However...

In order for Windows 7 to see the SSD (which is an NVMe one), it was necessary to install the Samsung driver.  If you are trying to install Windows 7 from a USB memory stick onto the SSD, you will need to add the Samsung driver to the USB memory stick (in the same way that you did for the USB drivers).

Caution: I have not yet tried running Windows 7 from the SSD, so there may be other difficulties getting it to work.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

cloves
Punch Card
Views: 1,293
Message 3 of 13

Re: Y-700 UEFI Dual Boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 x64 on SSD Drive? Already Dual Booting on Hard Dri

Thanks for the reply CyberSimian,

I was starting to also think that I might need the Samsung driver for the ssd. But then again I can physically see the partitions in Windows 7 installer screen which has me questioning that logic as well. 

Found the Samsung drivers here,

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

cloves
Punch Card
Views: 1,279
Message 4 of 13

So I tried to install the NVMe drivers from the samsung link above on my windows 10 install. It said that it could not find a valid ssd drive. I don't see anywhere where I can get the NVMe drivers as of right now.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,272
Message 5 of 13

@cloves wrote:

So I tried to install the NVMe drivers from the samsung link above on my windows 10 install. It said that it could not find a valid ssd drive. I don't see anywhere where I can get the NVMe drivers as of right now.

I am not an expert, but I was under the impression that the M.2 socket in the laptop is of a type that can utilise either a SATA SSD or an NVMe SSD.  If the NVMe driver does not see the SSD, perhaps it is a SATA SSD?  (This might also explain why the Windows 7 installer was aware of the disk.)

My laptop came pre-installed with the SSD, and when I look in Windows 10 "Device Manager" in the "Disk drives" section, the disk has "NVMe" as part of its name.  What does your show?  It is also possible that your particular laptop has been fitted with an SSD made by another manufacturer (so you may need different drivers).

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,262
Message 6 of 13

@cloves wrote:

Hi all,

So I just got my replacement y-700. It comes with a 128gb SSD drive. It has windows 10 installed. I want to dual boot and want a copy of windows 7 also on the ssd drive. I have sucessfully installed dual boot on the internal hard drive. Can't replicate on the SSD.

Steps so far:

- Shrunk Windows 10 to make space for windows 7

- Bios is set to "Legacy Support", "UEFI First", USB Legacy "enabled". Secure boot doesn't show up when you pick legacy support.

- So then in the same menu I deleted the empty partition, and then windows gave me this isn't the recommended order to install. But went ahead to see what happened. Files started installing but at the end got an unable error.

So what did I miss? I have the internal drive dual booting no problem.

I have'nt tried it but it might be possible to use VHD boot. What I have tried is dualboot Win 8.1 and Win 10 (created first in vhd).

cloves
Punch Card
Views: 1,252
Message 7 of 13

So i was able to get windows 7 installed last night on the ssd after a few different avenues of action. I'll replicated tonight and come back with details. I'm going to need to disconnect my hd and just install both os onto the ssd. Reason being that the auto recovery and EFI hidden partitions are showing up on the hd.

Cyber, this is an interesting point. I took a look at my windows 10 and then my windows 7 install to see what i was seeing after i was successful in the device manager. Both showing similar drivers.

Also included shot of storage controller but don't think it's related.

IMAG1106-756x1344_crop_604x787.jpg

IMAG1107-756x1344.jpg

IMAG1108-756x1344_crop_683x831.jpg

IMAG1109-756x1344.jpg

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,244
Message 8 of 13

@cloves wrote:

Cyber, this is an interesting point. I took a look at my windows 10 and then my windows 7 install to see what i was seeing after i was successful in the device manager. Both showing similar drivers.   Also included shot of storage controller but don't think it's related.

It is as I surmised.  Your Samsung MZNTY128HDHP is a SATA M.2 SSD.  Look at the "Interface" box on the first line of the "Specifications" section:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/flash-storage/client-ssd/MZNTY128HDHP?ia=831

My Ideapad 700-15ISK (not a Y700) was supplied with a Samsung MZVLV128HCGR, which is an NVMe M.2 SSD:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/flash-storage/client-ssd/MZVLV128HCGR?ia=831

So that explains why you could not install the NVMe drivers, and why the Windows 7 installer was aware of the SSD.  Well done on getting a usable Windows 7 installation on the SSD (there always seems to be a bit of trial and error with tasks like this). Smiley Happy

cloves
Punch Card
Views: 1,231
Message 9 of 13

Thanks for the info CyberSimian! Totally get it now.

So trying to do this all fresh so I can backup. I disconnected the internal HD so as to make sure the recovery partitions are solely on the SD. Installed windows 10 and then went to install windows 7 and I am getting the,

"The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended order. For additional information about installing to GPT disks"

Which makes zero sense since this is the exact procedure I did on the HD originally. I am seeing the error online but not seeing a solution.

UPDATE:

So I decided to install windows 7 first. I wiped the drive and installed. NOW in the most BIZZAR twist, while installing the Y700 Windows 7 x64 drivers, most of the intel drivers REQUIRE .net 4.5. I know you mentioned this in another thread CyberSimian. BUT how the heck was I able to install windows x64 on the secondary partition originally and NOT have to install .net??? Holly cow what a twist. I didn't install .Net on my previous install. 

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,224
Message 10 of 13

@cloves wrote:

So I decided to install windows 7 first. I wiped the drive and installed. NOW in the most BIZZAR twist, while installing the Y700 Windows 7 x64 drivers, most of the intel drivers REQUIRE .net 4.5. I know you mentioned this in another thread CyberSimian. BUT how the heck was I able to install windows x64 on the secondary partition originally and NOT have to install .net??? Holly cow what a twist. I didn't install .Net on my previous install. 

My dual-boot setup is a bit different from yours, as I wanted to use the Terabyte "Bootit Bare Metal" boot manager (not freeware), and that requires converting the disks from GPT to MBR.  So my experience with GPT disks is limited.

I think that you can install multiple operating systems in a GPT system, and use the Windows boot manager to select the OS to boot.  But you almost certainly need to install the older OS first.  Windows 10 knows what setup Windows 7 used, and so Windows 10 can adjust its own installation to fit in with Windows 7.  But Windows 7 does not know what setup Windows 10 uses, and that probably caused the error that you encountered.

One point to keep in mind: when you use the Windows Boot Manager, the operating systems are able to see each others disks.  I think that this results in the following (not 100% sure):

(1) Only one OS will be on the "C:" drive; the other OS will be "D:" (or some other letter).

(2) Each OS can "fiddle with" the files belonging to the other OS.  I recollect reading on the internet (so it must be true!) that one OS would delete the restore points belonging to the other OS, which is not the behaviour that I would want.

(3) Presumably certain programs (such as the Intel installer) can use programs installed on the other OS drive, and that it why the Intel installer did not ask for .NET 4.5 when you were installing drivers on Windows 7 with Windows 10 already installed.

I am not a fan of this style of dual-boot or multi-boot management, which is why I prefer "Bootit Bare Metal" (BIBM).  Using BIBM's EMBRs, each OS can be kept totally separate.  Each OS installs on its own "C:" drive, and is prevented from seeing any partitions that you don't want it to see (such as partitions belonging to the other OS).  But BIBM is not freeware, and it does require some careful setup (to avoid partitions being overwritten).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors