Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ciprianu
What's DOS?
Views: 597
Message 1 of 5

Y520-15IKBM reduce fan speed

How can I reduce the fan speed on my Y520-15IKBM? While I'm doing less intesive activities like typing into text editors (no intelli sense), browsing text mainly web pages, I'm not expecting to hear the fan noise.

I bought this laptop for doing my programming job and fan noise is disturbing when you know you're not hitting your system with anything. There are no windows updates pending in background, no antivirus activity.

Thank you,

Ciprian

Dragha
Paper Tape
Views: 500
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y520-15IKBM reduce fan speed

I have the same problem as you, and the support won't answer us just got my new legion y520 for 3 weeks now and the fan is too noisy while I'm doing nothing, hope the support find us a solution bro

GeoCk
Paper Tape
Views: 463
Message 3 of 5

Hi guys, have you found any solution? I am having the exact same issue. I couldn't find any driver or optimization tool to fix this.
Dragha
Paper Tape
Views: 441
Message 4 of 5

still no reply from support
Sir_Sean
Paper Tape
Views: 155
Message 5 of 5

Hi all! First of all, I beg your pardon for my bad English. As I understand, the problem exists in different versions of the Legions and it had different versions of the BIOS. I had a Legion Y520-15IKBN with core i5 and the BIOS version of July-August 2017 and there were no problems with the noise of the coolers. Now I have a version of Legion Y520-15IKBM with a CORE I7 and it is a newer model, with 1060 max-q and its own version of the BIOS. And here I came across the same problem of noisy coolers under low load. Also I noticed that the processor does not lower the frequency, even in idle or small load . And it is on latest version of BIOS - 5xcn22ww. It seems to me that the problem really is in settings of speeds of the fans at low temperatures in BIOS, and also that the processor does not reduce the frequency. By setting the maximum processor frequency to 50% in the power profile of Windows, I was able to achieve a comfortable level of fan noise with low load in everyday tasks. For games and serious work, of course, you need to use a different power profile. Lenovo, please, solve that silly problem. Previously, everything worked correctly.

Top Kudoed Authors