Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elizat
Serial Port
Views: 4,903
Message 1 of 20

Y520 Bios Update Failed Aug 2018

I got a prompt from the Lenovo manager last night to update my bios, I believe it’s this one because it came out in August: 

• BIOS Update for Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 8.1 (64-bit), Windows 10 (64-bit) - Legion Y520-15IKBN
Individual Downloads
  • DownloadsBIOS Update Readme
    TXT README
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 (64-bit)
    Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
    Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Version4KCN44WW

So anyway, I clicked yes assuming I was supposed to do it. I ended up googling a bios update and discovered that it should never be done unless there’s something wrong because it can really mess up your laptop and not let it start up. Which is exactly what happened. (Also why do the bios updates look so shady and like they’re on Windows 98 software?)

It seemed to take a few minutes then I saw the Lenovo screen then my computer just turned black but I could hear it running. I let it sit all night and went to bed for fear of turning it off. In the morning it was exactly the same so I pressed power and nothing happened. I held down power and restarted and I saw the Lenovo screen then it just turned black again, but is still running (I can hear the fan). So it’s basically a brick right now. I don’t know why the system would suggest an update that ruins your laptop. I read online that you can put a bios on a flash drive and start up that way. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

FYI I did purchase the warranty plan with Costco so hopefully this would be covered but I’d rather try to fix it first. Thanks!

B3CKS
802.11n
Views: 4,853
Message 2 of 20

Re: Y520 Bios Update Failed Aug 2018

I also update my bios to (4KCN44WW) without problems. Y520 Ikbn. I5 7300HQ 1050ti 2GB.

I hope that your charger is always plug in?

Xerxed
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,845
Message 3 of 20

Very much similar scenario happene here also , last version was 4kcn28ww now updated version 4kcn44ww but mine shows symptom of booting up to desktop then after 2 -3 mins goes black and unresponsive with system fan still running.

I wanted to roll back and found old bios and downloaded it also but don't know to do it without other than from running it on  desktop . And also should I do that or is there any other solution?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,825
Message 4 of 20

The following thread describes a similar problem with the previous BIOS for this model laptop.  It is a long thread (7 pages), but it may contain useful information to help you recover from the problems that you are currently experiencing:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/DO-NOT-UPDATE-BIOS-4KCN43WW-ON-LEGION-Y520/td-p/4070439

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

elizat
Serial Port
Views: 4,821
Message 5 of 20

I found this which links to all the old bios as certified by Lenovo: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Legion-Y520-and-Y720-BIOS-update-links/td-p/4087757
Also see the comment below which links to a whole thread regarding this issue. I am going to try downloading this file tonight on a flash drive and see if it will boot. 40WW seems to be the best one according to the comments.
Xerxed
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,815
Message 6 of 20

But how can i roll back update using the downgrage setup when i cannot even boot successfully for more than 5 mins?

Please guide ...

elizat
Serial Port
Views: 4,805
Message 7 of 20

Lol I’m not too sure myself! I think I’m going to download it on a different computer and put it on a flash drive and stick it in and see if it enters a safe startup? My bf is a software developer so he’s going to look at it tonight. I’ll report back because mine is doing the same! Just totally black! 

Xerxed
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,803
Message 8 of 20

Please keep us updated, I'll be grateful... Smiley Happy

elizat
Serial Port
Views: 4,729
Message 9 of 20

I was able to find the links to download previous bios in a thread, but how do you downgrade the bios from a flash drive? We've tried running the exe file from the command prompt after enabling bios flash downgrade in the bios setting. Nothing seems to be working.

Highlighted
strawbs
What's DOS?
Views: 4,746
Message 10 of 20

Hi, so I read your post an the exact same thing happened to me. I managed to fix it though. Basically you have to reset your BIOS back to default settings.

To do this you have to turn it on and when the Lenovo screen pops up for a few seconds you have to furiously tap some F keys (I think F5 is the one that did it but I was very much button mashing). The windows repair thing then pops up. You then click through: troubleshoot >>> advanced settings >>> UEFI (I can't quite remember if this is the correct order),the screen will change to look like something designed in the 90s. In the bottom right it will say something like "[F9] system defaults" tap F9 then go to [yes] hit enter. Then using the arrow keys go across to exit, using arrow keys again go to "exit saving changes" and it should restart to normal.

This doesn't affect windows or anything that's on the drives. 

I'm not a computer guy and I only managed to do this by piecing bits together from googling. Here are some slightly better guides.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-reset-the-bios-on-a-laptop

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-bios-default-settings-computer/

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors