cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LenovoStyle
Punch Card
Views: 1,574
Message 1 of 4

Y520: *DIY GUIDE* How to make yourself HDD bracket out of beer can ! *Works like a charm* Pictures

I know how it feels like to not have the HDD bracket whenever you want to upgrade and put in new HDD and then you have to order it and you don't know when you gonna get it (availability is sometimes also very unpredictable).

I was in the same situation so I decided to make a homemade HDD bracket out of a beer can and surprisngly, it was so stable and sturdy that I actually don't even need to buy the bracket anymore. Though I still supported Lenovo company and bought the bracket anyways but this homemade HDD bracket would still work like a charm if you need to, very stable:

I got inspired by a user in this forum: "dodongdodong" so thansk to him I managed to complete the task.

So here is how the final product looks like:

IMG_20180104_012622.jpg

tQiLtJL.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
And here below, I tried my best to draw a detailed drawing map of how you should shape your model. First you need to get a piece of paper and draw everything the same way like this picture below.

After that you need to grab a rather larger beer can (just so it will be easier to work with). I used Somersby beer / cider can because that was rather a large can but you can use anything which is made of aluminium since it's easier to work with and also suitable for being used inside a laptop.

Here is the picture of the model with very detailed drawn out measurements and everything so just copy it and you will have the same model:
ritning2.jpg

I have here also uploaded some sort of "slide show" of the working process so you can follow step by step, I'm sorry that I didn't have that much time to sort out the pictures (a lot of working hours at the hospital), some pictures might be repeated so please bear with me. But if you follow the slide show, I think you would not have any problems to create your own homemade bracket. The process did not take that much time and effort but you just have to be careful when you bend aluminium since it's very brittle sometimes.

Use electrical tape to fortify and stabilize the frame and also it's good to use electrical tape since it can resist heat and of course, good for electrical devices.

I used 4 screws in total: 2 on each sides of the HDD into the bracket and 2 that I hooked up between the bracket and the laptop so therefore it provides maximum security and I don't have to be worried that it will come off anytime soon. This is rock solid even for a WD black which spins like no others.

Here is the slide show of the whole entire process from the beginning to the end:

https://imgur.com/a/kZ4bn

Enjoy your new HDD bracket! Smiley Happy

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,477
Message 2 of 4

Re: Y520: *DIY GUIDE* How to make yourself HDD bracket out of beer can ! *Works like a charm* Pictur

Hi LenovoStyle,

this is pretty sweet! Thank you very much for sharing! Smiley Wink

Best regards,

Juraj
German, Czech & Slovak Community Lead

Wurde dein Problem bei uns bereits besprochen? Schau mal nach: Forum Suchoption
Bitte füge den Typ, Modell (nicht die S/N) und das benutzte OS zu deiner Nachricht hinzu. Es beschleunigt die Lösung deines Problems.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

LenovoStyle
Punch Card
Views: 1,442
Message 3 of 4

Re: Y520: *DIY GUIDE* How to make yourself HDD bracket out of beer can ! *Works like a charm* Pictur

Thank you so much for your kind words, ! :-)

I really appreciate that! I hope this will help any members of our community Smiley Happy

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,428
Message 4 of 4

Very welcome! Well deserved! Smiley Wink I really like DIY stuff and this is simply brilliant, am definitely going to build my own when I take my PC apart next time Smiley Wink

Best regards,

Juraj
German, Czech & Slovak Community Lead

Wurde dein Problem bei uns bereits besprochen? Schau mal nach: Forum Suchoption
Bitte füge den Typ, Modell (nicht die S/N) und das benutzte OS zu deiner Nachricht hinzu. Es beschleunigt die Lösung deines Problems.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors