Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cauchyabel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,580
Message 1 of 10

Y520 Dual Drive - 2TB HDD always missing in Windows

Just received this 2TB HDD+256GB SSD Y520 2 days ago. However, I found that the HDD is always missing from Windows, meanwhile I could always find it in BIOS settings. Is there anyone who is experiencing the same issue with me? What could be the possible solution?

I really like this laptop, however, it seems I could not enjoy from it because you can use it with HDD missing all the time.

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,560
Message 2 of 10

Re: Y520 Dual Drive - 2TB HDD always missing in Windows

my guess is thgat it hasn't been initialized and partitioned.  Start disk management.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,557
Message 3 of 10

Have you checked to see if the 2TB HD has been partitioned, formatted and assigned a drive letter using Windows Disk Management (Right-click on Start and select Disk Management).   

In Disk Management, Disk 0 should be your SSD and will probably show several partitions as well as the OS Drive C: partition (partitions being sections of the whole hard drive), and my guess is that there will also be a 2TB Disk 1 showing as being Unallocated, and perhaps also Not Initialized as well. 

The document below describes how to setup a new drive using Disk Management.   If your 2TB drive is listed as Not Initialized, they you will need to do that step first (I would choose GPT (GUID partition table) but if not skip to the next step, which would be to partition the drive. 

How do I set up a hard drive and partition in Windows?

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000588.htm

Hope that helps, but if not please to reply back if you need more assistance.

Cheers,

cauchyabel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,528
Message 4 of 10

But from what I see the disk was partitioned, the thing is I was downloading game to it when it was visible.

When I restarted my laptop, it was just gone, I can't start game either, like it never exists. But BIOS could always show the disk in the system info.Disk.png

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,513
Message 5 of 10

Well from the image you posted from Disk Management, the 2TB drive is properly formatted and should show up as Drive E:  so are you saying that you do not see Drive E:\ when you open My PC or File Explorer?     

It also shows that 3% of the drive is used, so there are clearly some files stored on drive E:\ too, so I am at a loss why the drive is not visible sometimes, and is at other times.     

Perhaps there is a loose connection, but you might run a Hardware Scan using Lenovo's Solution Center just to make sure there are no problems with the drive itself, which should show up when it performs the S.M.A.R.T tests.    Lenovo's Solution Center should already be installed, but the latest version can be found here if needed.

Good luck,

cauchyabel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,507
Message 6 of 10

It was just a lucky time when I got this screenshot for you guys that it was there. I could easily get one shot without the drive after I restart

cauchyabel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,456
Message 7 of 10

Following up with this issue, I think the laptop I received was definitely a defective product. The hard drive was missing a couple of times after that before I received my replacement laptop.

Now with the new laptop everything looks normal...

Slynk
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,213
Message 8 of 10

Mine did something similar. Turned out the drive r/w head had magnetically locked down to the platter. Ruined the drive. Bought a new one and swapped them out and within 24 hours and a clean install restore, the same thing happened. Something wrong with the SATA connector or chipset. Do you hear a faint, breif, intermittent buzz, like a bee inside your laptop?

Y5201
What's DOS?
Views: 1,166
Message 9 of 10

I had this experience as well on a brand new Legion Y520 machine. after poking around I found that the HDD drive has fallen off of the BIOS and still visible in Disk Manager but now was not mounted/allocated. Ran a format of the unallocated drive and now working properly

Graphite
What's DOS?
Views: 793
Message 10 of 10

Hi Sorry for the necropost. I am currently having this same problem. I brought my unit to the asset services center after reading this topic. Turned out they needed to check on it but it's gonna take a whole month before they return the unit. I dunno why since the process of checking the hard drive ans reattachind the SATA cable dont take that long. However I opened my unit carefully but it appears I have one striped screw on the case thats holding the HDD in place. (talk about unlucky). I might try to unscrew it later with super glue. But I wanted to know first what should I do with the drive If I take it off? Simply reconnect it or do I have to fiddle with the HDD itself. I know the HDD is not corrupt since its readable for a few minutes then disappears if I try to use it on load copying files to an external hard drive. I feel like there is a loose connection down there. So what should I do? This happened after 2 months. Heck and the 2tb HDD wasnt even full.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors