Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alexandru21
Punch Card
Views: 346
Message 1 of 11

Y520 Shutdown Issue

Hi, got a problem, my laptop randomly shuts down, it started yesterday while gaming and I thought it was a overheating problem so I cleaned it. It worked fine today but while I was writing in word with only the browser opened( no heavy load so no overheating) it shut down. It was plugged in at the time but I can.t figure what is wrong with it. All drivers are up to date including Bios and everything else, checked for viruses also, nothing. Can someone help, please? 

Guru
Views: 297
Message 2 of 11

Re: Y520 Shutdown Issue

Is it shutting down as if you pressed shutdown. Or is it shutting down like the battery drained and it suddenly closes?

Drain the battery, let it hit 0%. When it shuts down, press the power button and see if it turns on, if it does, repeat.

Once the battery if fully drained, hold the power button for 1 minute, then plug it back in and power it up.

Let me know what happens.
Alexandru21
Punch Card
Views: 286
Message 3 of 11

It shuts down instantly, and there.s a subtle noise when it shuts down. Did that, nothing happened. Drained it, pushed for 1 min, then I plugged it in and in 2 minutes it shut down again. I opened it this time, cleaned the fans plugged and unplugged the ram and ssd, I didn't touch the hdd. No visible problems from what I can tell but I am not a tech guy.
Alexandru21
Punch Card
Views: 279
Message 4 of 11

Also used the wmic and diskdrive get status, both my ssd and hdd work...
Guru
Views: 276
Message 5 of 11

Is it under warranty? You should get it checked out.

Things like this will usually be a hardware issue. Did you recently update your BIOS? Did you make sure the battery connection isn't loose?
Alexandru21
Punch Card
Views: 272
Message 6 of 11

No bios update in the last month from what I remember, the battery connection isn't lose. I do have the warranty but I would rather not send it because I have a BA paper to write and this is my only laptop... do you have some other idea, what it may be ?
Guru
Views: 269
Message 7 of 11

Nothing comes to mind. You may need a part replaced. Best to let Lenovo check it out and solve the issue. You can send it after you finish the paper if it'll still be in warranty.
Alexandru21
Punch Card
Views: 268
Message 8 of 11

The problem is that I can.t keep it on long enough to even open file explorer ...
Alexandru21
Punch Card
Views: 268
Message 9 of 11

Also the light next to the ac connector when its plugged in keeps giving 3 red blips and
Alexandru21
Punch Card
Views: 252
Message 10 of 11

OK, i think that i solved this, for the moment. I don't know for sure but i will come with another message tomorrow if nothing else happens. What i did was change the slot for the ram and unplugged the batter, i don't know which of them did the job. But now it works

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors