Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

02-11-2018

Indonesia

140 Signins

1106 Page Views

• Views: 1106
  • Message 1 of 4

Y520 : can it overcharge?

2018-02-11, 12:25 PM

Yes, my exact question is can it overcharge?
Recently bought Y520IKBN, I5-7300HQ, GTX 1050 4GB (non-Ti), 8GB RAM. 
There was a topic here about "Plugged in, not charging" and a moderator said it was OK:

Without going into the details of Lithium Polymer batteries, they don't like to be overcharged, and actually deteriorate in lifespan if kept at 100%. 
The charging circuits are designed to charge upwards of 95%, but they don't charge the full way.

I encountered that once. But now it's always "100% fully charged". I always plugged in the laptop when playing game, and using battery when working.
Can that condition affect battery life?

Answer
Options

2954 Posts

02-22-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1083 Signins

26243 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 26243

Re: Y520 : can it overcharge?

2018-02-28, 14:20 PM

Hello Scladm1708

Thanks for using the Lenovo forums.

Yes it can, but just like the mod mentions, the idea is that the battery simply detiriorate faster when kept at 100% often for longer periods.

This is what conservation mode is designed for, so it gives you a nice long battery lifespan with still more than enough charge % available for what you may need it for in case you need to move it about.

This all of course depends on how you use the unit. If you`re using it on charger almost non stop, then you may even remove the battery from the unit, as leaving it will only decrease it`s life without actually getting any use out of it, and reinsert it when you need it to be portable.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

==================================================================================
Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Pesszimistának lenni a legjobb, vagy igazad van, vagy kellemesen meglepődsz...

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

2954 Posts

02-22-2017

1083 Signins

26243 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

2018-02-28, 14:20 PM

Hello Scladm1708

Thanks for using the Lenovo forums.

Yes it can, but just like the mod mentions, the idea is that the battery simply detiriorate faster when kept at 100% often for longer periods.

This is what conservation mode is designed for, so it gives you a nice long battery lifespan with still more than enough charge % available for what you may need it for in case you need to move it about.

This all of course depends on how you use the unit. If you`re using it on charger almost non stop, then you may even remove the battery from the unit, as leaving it will only decrease it`s life without actually getting any use out of it, and reinsert it when you need it to be portable.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

==================================================================================
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

19 Posts

02-11-2018

Indonesia

140 Signins

1106 Page Views

• Views: 1106
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-02-28, 14:40 PM

Thanks for the answer.
My question was made before I know there was something wrong with Conservation Mode in Lenovo Vantage. The Vantage itself wasn't preinstalled when I bought my laptop.
I was surprised when the battery didn't charge at the first time. I thought it was broken or something else happened.
I read many threads here and found someone said Vantage is preinstalled, albeit not Y520. It was another, maybe Y7xx or Y9xx series, I forgot.
So I downloaded from Microsoft Store. At first, there is no Conservation Mode. I thought the feature isn't compatible, and a few minutes later I reopened the Vantage and Conservation Mode option appeared. But 2 hours later, I opened Vantage and it was gone.

After browsing many threads again, I found many users had the same issue. Fortunately there was a fix and works for me and many users (although didn't work for some users), Conservation Mode is back again.
Now I'm using Conservation Mode everytime.

Options

2954 Posts

02-22-2017

1083 Signins

26243 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2018-02-28, 14:57 PM

Fantastic, thanks for the update, glad to hear everything is up and running for you.

Hope you get a nice and long life out of that badboy, but of course keep in mind that technology is not perfect :), so it can still fail randomly, best you can do is try to prevent it as best you can.

Hopefully it wont be failing for a good while.

Enjoy your day!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms