cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Attila1346
Paper Tape
Views: 1,254
Message 1 of 8

Y520 wifi issues - killing the network when connecting.

Hi,

I have some issues with my newly bought laptop. Once i try to connect to the wifi, if keeps (instantly or after a couple of minutes) shutting it off. It is only the home network, i can connect to my phone's hotspot and it works well. I have all the drivers and they are the most up-to-date. What can cause the issue and how should i try to fix it? I am not an expert in the topic so please write in details Smiley Happy

Thank you,

Attila

Attila1346
Paper Tape
Views: 1,247
Message 2 of 8

Re: Y520 wifi issues - killing the network when connecting.

Let me add that once i connect with the laptop, all the other devices (phones, laptops) will be dropped together with mine. Previously, we have never encountered this issue with our devices.

Guru
Views: 1,210
Message 3 of 8

Has this problem been happening since you bought the laptop?

What if you try connecting to some other Wifi, let say at a friend's house?

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
mbrierst
What's DOS?
Views: 1,149
Message 4 of 8

I have the same problem.  It has happened since I got the laptop and never before.  I haven't tried it on any other wifi networks.

Attila1346
Paper Tape
Views: 1,125
Message 5 of 8

I managed to solve the problem after I discovered my WiFi router is capable of providing 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signals. I have always tried to connect to the 2.4 GHz because i hadn't have a clue about the 5 GHz, but after I discovered, it worked properly with the 5 GHz. Check if you are connecting to a 5 GHz wifi or try it on another router, that's what I could advice. 

mbrierst
What's DOS?
Views: 1,116
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was already using a 5GHz network.  My router is set up to provide separate 5GHz and a 2.4 GHz networks.  When my computer kills the 5GHz network, I switch to the 2.4 GHz network and it usually keeps working until the next time my computer sleeps and wakes.  Then it usually kills the 2.4GHz network.  That said, I haven't had the problem in the last day (on the 5GHz network), so I'm hoping it's magically fixed!  If not, I'll post an update.

mbrierst
What's DOS?
Views: 1,037
Message 7 of 8

Yeah, very much not fixed unfortunately.  I'm now wishing I had returned the computer when I had a chance.  Too bad because I like it otherwise.  I'm living with it for now (rebooting the router ever 30 minutes or so when it's really bad).  I've already tried 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz and everything else I could think of, so I think I'm out of ideas.

mbrierst
What's DOS?
Views: 189
Message 8 of 8

It's been a while, but I found a permanent fix.  I have some checkpoint endpoint VPN software installed on my machine for logging in to work.  That software causes all sorts of problems, and after uninstalling the problem stopped.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors