02-12-2019

RO

28 Signins

208 Page Views

• Views: 208
  • Message 1 of 4

Y530-15ICH-1060 faint charger buzzing

2019-02-13, 13:07 PM

I know, plenty of threads on the subject already and i've read them all, even the ones that aren't specific to the Y530 model. This is a brand new, a week old Y530 with a 170W charger brick and all updates (BIOS and all drivers) to date straight from the Lenovo website and the simptoms are as follows:
- when connected to the wall socket but not the laptop ->very very faint ticking coming from the power brick ("faint" as in you must be very close or stick your ear to the brick)
- when connected to the wall socket and the laptop -> faint buzzing coming from the power brick, again if you're a few cm away you can hear it -> wouldn't notice it on daily usage even on a very good sound proof room with barely any external noises (traffic, wind, etc) but noticeable in the dead of the night when all is quiet (fully charged laptop left overnight)
- most likely it gets a bit louder when charging the laptop - again, i only noticed it at about 3.30 last night (very quiet) and had it charged (was about 40%) - no crackling sounds, just frequency buzzing but enough to notice it while sitting in bed like 2m away (I have pretty good hearing and being well acustomed to the sounds of my room i picked it up fairly quick)

Other observations:
- power brick, with all the buzzing, barely got warm while fully charging the laptop and when the battery is full and it's still connected to it doesn't warm at all (left if connected a few hours just to check on that)
- no buzzing or other noises coming from the laptop itself

- didn't try it in heavy gaming yet but i expect it to get hotter and maybe louder 
- i have 4 laptops in the house, different manufacturers including my wife's Yoga and while some of their chargers might buzz under heavy load none of them buzzes when plainly idling (battery full but connected) and some don't buzz at all.

My plain questions here are:

1. "Should I ask for a replacement power brick or not?" 
2. "What are the odds of getting a power brick that behaves the same or even worst?"

Just to make an idea, in the video below you can barely hear it <- recorded with a Samsung S8 on the highest quality possible, phone mic like 1-2cm away from the power brick, all windows and doors closed and the charger was idling (laptop asleep, fully charged) 

Link to my personal Google Drive

Thank you, 
Mike

Options

12015 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7107 Signins

742794 Page Views

• Views: 742794
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Y530-15ICH-1060 faint charger buzzing

2019-02-13, 14:11 PM

Hi Mike_DP,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Generally, static buzz may be normal on a certain degree among electronic chargers. Excessive buzz noise that interfere with normal usage and heating are the ones we should be most cautious.

Best measure for such is to have it reported to techical support so that they may be able to decide and likewise decide how to proceed best for both parties.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

1 Posts

02-16-2019

FR

1 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: Y530-15ICH-1060 faint charger buzzing

2019-02-16, 19:09 PM

Hello, i buy a Y530-15ICH-1060 (I7 8750h) and i have exactly the same charger buzzing with the same symptom, computer is new 4 days.

Options

3 Posts

04-24-2020

US

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:Y530-15ICH-1060 faint charger buzzing

2020-04-24, 15:12 PM
Hi, I have the exact same issue, did anyone solve it? The chargers are still working after all? Mine have only 4 months... The buzz is louder when you play a AAA game but it's only noticeable if you are close enough to the charger... Today I updated the BIOS, but I didn't have the time to test if it change anything...
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete