English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

09-15-2020

IN

8 Signins

70 Page Views

  • Posts: 9
  • Registered: ‎09-15-2020
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 15

Y530 - 15ICH shutting down after 10-15 minutes of playing games.

2020-09-15, 17:20 PM

From last 2 days whenever I play games for 10 -15 minutes, the laptop shuts itself down. I checked for overheating using Intel Extreme Utility and saw the temperatures reaching up to 94 degree Celsius in the CPU stress test, so I opened up the back panel and cleaned the fans. I checked again in the Intel Extreme Utility and the temperatures were up to 92-93 degrees. It wasn't an improvement and the problem persisted. I updated the Intel graphics drivers as well as the NVidia Graphics drivers from GeForce Experience(V. 452.06) but still no luck. 

My normal operating temperature is pretty warm(30-32 degrees), but the problem persisted in an AC room as well with low room temperature. 

I also tried different games to see if the game was the problem, but the laptop shut down in other games also, even while playing CSGO(which is not a demanding game).

My CPU is - i5 8300H

Graphics card - 1050ti

RAM - 8GB

My Windows version is 1909.

BIOS Version- 8JCN52WW

Please help me solve my problem.

 

Reply
Options

723 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

77 Signins

4398 Page Views

  • Posts: 723
  • Registered: ‎03-11-2020
  • Location: NO
  • Views: 4398
  • Message 2 of 15

Re:Y530 - 15ICH shutting down after 10-15 minutes of playing games.

2020-09-16, 11:05 AM

Hi,

 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum community!

 

This might be an issue where Windows updated a driver, which it should not have updated.

 

Try reinstalling all drivers and see if this helps, worste case, do a factory reset, disable Windows from updating drivers:

  1. Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
  2. Make your way to System and Security.
  3. Click System.
  4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
  5. Select the Hardware tab.
  6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.
  7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.



Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Reply
Options

12 Posts

10-02-2018

MY

35 Signins

314 Page Views

  • Posts: 12
  • Registered: ‎10-02-2018
  • Location: MY
  • Views: 314
  • Message 3 of 15

Re:Y530 - 15ICH shutting down after 10-15 minutes of playing games.

2020-09-16, 19:20 PM

Undervolt and repaste to fix the overheating problem. 

Reply
Options

9 Posts

09-15-2020

IN

8 Signins

70 Page Views

  • Posts: 9
  • Registered: ‎09-15-2020
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 70
  • Message 4 of 15

Re:Y530 - 15ICH shutting down after 10-15 minutes of playing games.

2020-09-17, 16:17 PM

@ Adjutor wrote:
 

 

Hi,

 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum community!

 

This might be an issue where Windows updated a driver, which it should not have updated.

 

Try reinstalling all drivers and see if this helps, worste case, do a factory reset, disable Windows from updating drivers:

  1. Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
  2. Make your way to System and Security.
  3. Click System.
  4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
  5. Select the Hardware tab.
  6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.
  7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.

 

Thank you for the suggestion. I have disabled automatic driver updates.

But can you please tell me how do I reinstall all the drivers?  

Reply
Options

9 Posts

09-15-2020

IN

8 Signins

70 Page Views

  • Posts: 9
  • Registered: ‎09-15-2020
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 70
  • Message 5 of 15

Re:Y530 - 15ICH shutting down after 10-15 minutes of playing games.

2020-09-17, 16:21 PM
I did try undervolting using IXTU to around -130mV but it didn't solve the problem. I will try repasting. Also, have you seen a significant difference after repasting? Can you please tell me? Thank you for your suggestion.
Reply
Options

9 Posts

09-15-2020

IN

8 Signins

70 Page Views

  • Posts: 9
  • Registered: ‎09-15-2020
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 70
  • Message 6 of 15

Re:Y530 - 15ICH shutting down after 10-15 minutes of playing games.

2020-09-17, 18:48 PM

@ Bhavik17 wrote:
 

 

From last 2 days whenever I play games for 10 -15 minutes, the laptop shuts itself down. I checked for overheating using Intel Extreme Utility and saw the temperatures reaching up to 94 degree Celsius in the CPU stress test, so I opened up the back panel and cleaned the fans. I checked again in the Intel Extreme Utility and the temperatures were up to 92-93 degrees. It wasn't an improvement and the problem persisted. I updated the Intel graphics drivers as well as the NVidia Graphics drivers from GeForce Experience(V. 452.06) but still no luck. 

My normal operating temperature is pretty warm(30-32 degrees), but the problem persisted in an AC room as well with low room temperature. 

I also tried different games to see if the game was the problem, but the laptop shut down in other games also, even while playing CSGO(which is not a demanding game).

My CPU is - i5 8300H

Graphics card - 1050ti

RAM - 8GB

My Windows version is 1909.

BIOS Version- 8JCN52WW

Please help me solve my problem.

 

 

Edit- I played games in an well cooled AC room where the CPU and GPU temperatures were 60-65 degrees, but still it shut off. So I think the problem is not just overheating.

Can anyone please help.

Reply
Options

12 Posts

10-02-2018

MY

35 Signins

314 Page Views

  • Posts: 12
  • Registered: ‎10-02-2018
  • Location: MY
  • Views: 314
  • Message 7 of 15

Re:Y530 - 15ICH shutting down after 10-15 minutes of playing games.

2020-09-17, 23:45 PM

@ Bhavik17 wrote:
 

I did try undervolting using IXTU to around -130mV but it didn't solve the problem. I will try repasting. Also, have you seen a significant difference after repasting? Can you please tell me?Thank you for your suggestion.

 

Yes, definitely. Before the repaste, my Y530 would easily reach 85-95c (CPU) and 75-80c (GPU) when gaming (even after undervolting). After the repaste, the temps mostly stay at 65-75c (CPU) and 65-70c (GPU). I'm using Kryonaut by the way.

 

Though I never had the laptop shut down on me due to overheating, so your model must have very bad stock paste. 

'

Reply
Options

9 Posts

09-15-2020

IN

8 Signins

70 Page Views

  • Posts: 9
  • Registered: ‎09-15-2020
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 70
  • Message 8 of 15

Re:Y530 - 15ICH shutting down after 10-15 minutes of playing games.

2020-09-18, 7:41 AM

@ pilot35 wrote:
 

 

@ Bhavik17 wrote:
 

I did try undervolting using IXTU to around -130mV but it didn't solve the problem. I will try repasting. Also, have you seen a significant difference after repasting? Can you please tell me?Thank you for your suggestion.

 

Yes, definitely. Before the repaste, my Y530 would easily reach 85-95c (CPU) and 75-80c (GPU) when gaming (even after undervolting). After the repaste, the temps mostly stay at 65-75c (CPU) and 65-70c (GPU). I'm using Kryonaut by the way.

 

Though I never had the laptop shut down on me due to overheating, so your model must have very bad stock paste. 

'

 

Okay I will change my thermal paste and see if it works. 

Thank you very much.

Reply
Options

9 Posts

09-15-2020

IN

8 Signins

70 Page Views

  • Posts: 9
  • Registered: ‎09-15-2020
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 70
  • Message 9 of 15

Re:Y530 - 15ICH shutting down after 10-15 minutes of playing games.

2020-09-18, 7:43 AM

@ pilot35 wrote:
 

 

@ Bhavik17 wrote:
 

I did try undervolting using IXTU to around -130mV but it didn't solve the problem. I will try repasting. Also, have you seen a significant difference after repasting? Can you please tell me?Thank you for your suggestion.

 

Yes, definitely. Before the repaste, my Y530 would easily reach 85-95c (CPU) and 75-80c (GPU) when gaming (even after undervolting). After the repaste, the temps mostly stay at 65-75c (CPU) and 65-70c (GPU). I'm using Kryonaut by the way.

 

Though I never had the laptop shut down on me due to overheating, so your model must have very bad stock paste. 

'

 

But the laptop shut itself down even in well cooled AC room while playing GTA 5 with CPU and GPU temperature not exceeding 60-65 degrees. So I think the problem is something else also on top of the overheating.

 

Reply
Options

723 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

77 Signins

4398 Page Views

  • Posts: 723
  • Registered: ‎03-11-2020
  • Location: NO
  • Views: 4398
  • Message 10 of 15

Re:Y530 - 15ICH shutting down after 10-15 minutes of playing games.

2020-09-18, 7:59 AM

How to reinstall drivers:

 

Press the Windows Key + X, or right click the Windows icon in the bottom left. Select Device Manager from the list.

 

 

Update them by choosing from the driver lists on your computer, make sure to choose the most recent drivers you can find that is Audio related.

 

(Usually the top one or the one marked in blue if no dates are shown)

 

 

 

- Right Click the devices

 

- Select Update Driver

 

- Browse my computer for drivers

 

- Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer

 

- Select the most recent driver from the list for every device then Click Next

 

- Close confirmation dialog.

 

If that doesnt work, try factory default installation:

To do a factory reset, first you will need to make a backup of your important files to an external USB storage unit, or to an online drive.

Then you need to turn off your laptop completely, by holding down the power button for 10 seconds.

To initiate the factory reset, you need to push the tiny button located (Go to pcsupport.lenovo.com search with your serial number, then select pane "Knowledgebase and Guides" Then find the user manual and locate the Novo buttons placement in the manual), You can use for example, a paperclip to press it, after  

you have pressed the button, the laptop will power on, and present a small menu, use the arrow keys to select factory reset, and press the  

enter key to select. Now follow the on screen instructions.

  1. Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
  2. Make your way to System and Security.
  3. Click System.
  4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
  5. Select the Hardware tab.
  6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.
  7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.

 

Reboot, launch Lenovo Vantage and update all drivers, reboot, update windows and see if this solves the issue, if it does not, then im leaning toward a hardware issue.

 



Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete