Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
papacawda
Paper Tape
Views: 4,849
Message 1 of 21

Y530 Battery Drain While Gaming

I was playing CSGO (not a very intensive game) and I experience significant battery drain. I was at 100% and it drained to less than 10% in less than 2-3 hrs of gaming. Is the power brick (135w) not strong enough for the i7+1050ti? Anything I can do to improve my battery life? I had the screen at 100%, maybe turning it down could help. Not sure, Hoping for some help. thanks!

maazsheikh97
Punch Card
Views: 4,789
Message 2 of 21

Re: Y530 Battery Drain While Gaming

When you are gaming, always plug the laptop into power to ensure best performance and its totally normal for a laptop to last 2-3 hours while gaming. Gaming while running the laptop on battery can damage the battery. Try turning on conservation mode for maximum battery lifespan if your laptop is always plugged in. If its still draining while plugged in then thats a problem.

Lenovo Employee MHubb85
Lenovo Employee
Views: 4,781
Message 3 of 21

@maazsheikh97 wrote:

When you are gaming, always plug the laptop into power to ensure best performance and its totally normal for a laptop to last 2-3 hours while gaming. Gaming while running the laptop on battery can damage the battery. Try turning on conservation mode for maximum battery lifespan if your laptop is always plugged in. If its still draining while plugged in then thats a problem.

This is something that I would really like clarified. Is the battery draining while you're connected to power? 

Like maazsheikh97 said, it's very common for your battery to drain quickly while gaming. Using a machine with a dedicated GPU that's under a constant load for 2-3 hours is very demanding of power. 

Matt731981
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,736
Message 4 of 21

This is an issue I have noticed with Mine as well. I have had it for about a week. The power brick will get extremely hot, and you can here it buzzing. the battery will either slowly discharge, or just sit and say its charging, but not really. it might go uo a few percent in an hour or so. with video's/games off, it charges pretty normal i'd say. the brick is cooler, and there is little/no sounds coming from it

dashtomar
Paper Tape
Views: 4,614
Message 5 of 21

yes the battery drains while playing game and connected to charger

dashtomar
Paper Tape
Views: 4,613
Message 6 of 21

this happens in all the legion Y530. There is a problem with design and customer care also won't help in this matter. I've ordered this laptop two times but it does not help.
dashtomar
Paper Tape
Views: 4,613
Message 7 of 21

There's an issue with the design in Legion Y530. The battery drains while playing games and connected to power at that time. The battery brick makes buzzing sound when hot. I have ordered two times the same laptop for these same issues. But nothing works and the customer care also won't help. They just say return it.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,598
Message 8 of 21

I never noticed this. I am always on CS:GO too... Let me game a bit tonight and test this out.

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
Matt731981
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,584
Message 9 of 21

Ok.  I had a support ticket submitted, and Lenovo sent me a new Power brick right away, which was awesome. the new one doesn't buzz ( as much ).   But the biggest change I found is with a new BIOS update they released for the Y530.   its here; https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-y530-15ich/dow...   once I did that, it seemingly resolved the slow charge/drain issue when it is gaming.  give that a whirl

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,577
Message 10 of 21

Awesome stuff @matt!

So I was gaming with AC for 20 min on CS:Go, battery dropped 4%. Saw Matt's post, decided to upgrade to 43WW (good bye old BIOS boot animation and hello Legion logo) then unplug AC, let the battery run till 90% and charge it back up to 100%. Game for another 10 min with the same config as previously, no more battery drain.

Kudos Matt for your share ... ^_^

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors