Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-10-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 5

Y540-15IRH Keyboard not working properly

2021-05-10, 1:23 AM

Been using this laptop since 2019 and up until today I haven't had any severe problems with the keyboard. I've also been ignoring the keyboard firmware updates (more on that later).
Keyboard was working until I launched open a game I play regularly. As it was loading, I hit Alt+tab, laptop starts lagging out and then crashes and reboots itself. Upon reboot, I couldn't and still can't input most of the keyboard buttons. I say "most" because the fn F5/F6 Brightness keys and the F4 Microphone key still works.
I've tried:
- Turning off tablet mode (it was already off)
- Running a system scan
- Keyboard troubleshooter through windows (nothing popped up)
- Uninstalled HID Keyboard Device and Standard PS/2 Keyboard (they would reinstall themselves back like normal but keyboard is still not working)
- System Restore (but my anti virus apparently blocked it)

- Went to Lenovo Support and did the 3-step
It says I should install the Y540 keyboard Firmware update - 10 but it's been giving me headaches. It stops itself saying "Can not Find Device! - 1" "Please shutdown Tablet PC then retry". (The error message also has a typo on it which scares me). I tried looking into this but the only thing I could find was that all other programs have to be closed while it's running so I also tried closing everything but still same error. I don't know what I'm doing. My warranty expired so I can't get on the phone with any tech support either. Someone help please.

Answer
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

332 Signins

14366 Page Views

• Views: 14366

Re:Y540-15IRH Keyboard not working properly

2021-05-10, 11:19 AM

hi Saris,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Here's a few things you can try to remedy the issue:

Step 1. Test the keyboard in Safe Mode.

- Boot up the device in Safe Mode and test the keyboard.

- If the Keyboard is working properly in safe mode, then there is a driver issue, 

- Continue below:

Step 2. Static Discharge

In the even the keyboard is unable to function properly due to static buildup in the device:

- Remove all cables attached to the device (ac adapter/power, hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)
- Ensure device is switched OFF
- Hold down power button for 60 seconds
- Re-attach all cables
- Connect the AC Adapter, then let the device charge for about 2 minutes (if it does) then start up as usual.
- Try this a couple of times in case it doesn't solve the issue the first time (2-3)

Step 3. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update  
- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.
- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.
- Click the "System Icon"
- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"
- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"
**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Step 4. Uninstall Keyboard Device + Drivers.
- Press the Windows key+X , select "Device Manager"
- Expand "Keyboards and/or Human Interface Devices"  

- Select the Keyboard/HID Keyboard Device, right click and select "Uninstall Device" There might be more then one device listed.
- If prompted to uninstall drivers associated with the device, tick the box and continue.
- Perform a restart of the computer to have Windows install the most generic drivers for this device.

- In the event this does not bring it back, go to the device manager again, 
- Right click the keyboard device and select update driver.
- Select "Browse for drivers on your computer"
- Select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
- Select the latest keyboard related driver from the list and click "Next"

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Replies(4)
Options

2 Posts

05-10-2021

Thailand

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 5

2021-05-10, 8:33 AM

I have exactly the same problem on my Legion Y540-15IRH. My F1-12 keys have gone haywire. First I thought it was hardware problem like dust collecting under the keyboard, but it turned out pressing only F5 (refresh) worked fine whereas Fn+F5 doesn't work like it used to. I've tried reinstalling keyboard driver and windows but sadly to no no avail. If anybody could help us with it'd be very much appreciated. I'm going crazy with this problem.

Answer
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

332 Signins

14366 Page Views

• Views: 14366
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-05-10, 11:19 AM

hi Saris,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Here's a few things you can try to remedy the issue:

Step 1. Test the keyboard in Safe Mode.

- Boot up the device in Safe Mode and test the keyboard.

- If the Keyboard is working properly in safe mode, then there is a driver issue, 

- Continue below:

Step 2. Static Discharge

In the even the keyboard is unable to function properly due to static buildup in the device:

- Remove all cables attached to the device (ac adapter/power, hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)
- Ensure device is switched OFF
- Hold down power button for 60 seconds
- Re-attach all cables
- Connect the AC Adapter, then let the device charge for about 2 minutes (if it does) then start up as usual.
- Try this a couple of times in case it doesn't solve the issue the first time (2-3)

Step 3. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update  
- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.
- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.
- Click the "System Icon"
- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"
- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"
**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Step 4. Uninstall Keyboard Device + Drivers.
- Press the Windows key+X , select "Device Manager"
- Expand "Keyboards and/or Human Interface Devices"  

- Select the Keyboard/HID Keyboard Device, right click and select "Uninstall Device" There might be more then one device listed.
- If prompted to uninstall drivers associated with the device, tick the box and continue.
- Perform a restart of the computer to have Windows install the most generic drivers for this device.

- In the event this does not bring it back, go to the device manager again, 
- Right click the keyboard device and select update driver.
- Select "Browse for drivers on your computer"
- Select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
- Select the latest keyboard related driver from the list and click "Next"

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

05-10-2021

Thailand

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-05-10, 14:10 PM
That worked for me. Thanks a lot!
Options

2 Posts

05-10-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-05-13, 4:38 AM

EDIT: Entering safemode worked! Just had to restart again after. Thank you.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms