Options

2 Posts

10-01-2019

PL

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 1 of 3

Y540-15IRH certain keys not working after overnight charging (W, R, U, I, F3, 1 on numpad)

2020-09-17, 8:16 AM

I keep my laptop usually connected to the power at all times and don't use the battery. One day I woke up and noticed that   some of the keys (W, R, U, I, F3, 1 on numpad) aren't working. 

I updated all drivers (also BIOS) and everything's up to date. I also updated Windows and tried reinstalling the keyboard's drivers, but nothing helped. I've read that on some of the Lenovo laptops disconnecting the battery helped with keyboard issues, but since the battery is inside in this model I didn't feel like disassembling it, so I only disconnected it from the power and went to sleep.

Next day I connected it again and to my surprise the keys were working again, so I figured it's fixed and left the laptop connected to the power before going to sleep. Today the same keys are not working again. I assume this might be some kind of short circuit, when it's fully charged, but I'm not sure. Is this something fixable or is this a hardware problem?

Options

990 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

121 Signins

5541 Page Views

• Views: 5541
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Y540-15IRH certain keys not working after overnight charging (W, R, U, I, F3, 1 on numpad)

2020-09-17, 8:25 AM

Hi swidziniak,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Usually when the non functional keys are in the same section/area or row of the keyboard. It's due to a static buildup that is short circuiting around that place. A static buildup in a laptop is not uncommon. Most consumers have found that performing a static discharge of the device has remedied the issue:

Static Discharge

- Remove all cables attached to the device (power, hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)

- Ensure device is switched OFF

- Hold down power button for 60 seconds

- Re-attach all cables

- Plug in the AC adapter. Let the device charge for 2 minutes, then start it back up.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2 Posts

10-01-2019

PL

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Y540-15IRH certain keys not working after overnight charging (W, R, U, I, F3, 1 on numpad)

2020-09-17, 15:46 PM

I kept the laptop unplugged the entire day and then proceeded with the static discharge according to your instructions, initially the same keys didn't work at all again, but then they started working when I clicked them multiple times, they are very laggy, I need to click the same key like 10 times, before it finally sends a signal and I cannot combine it with shift to make a capital letter (e.g. Shift + U won't work). It's very annoying, any other ideas?

Edit: I also noticed this quiet static crackling/noise coming from the laptop when the issue is happening, when the keys start working again it goes away. 

Edit 2: I drained the power from the battery to 0% and then performed the static discharge procedure, it helped for like 10 minutes - then the same keys started lagging/not working again. It goes from lagging, to working, to not working, to lagging etc. over and over again. What seems to fix it when the keys stop working is plugging and unplugging the AC, but then it only fixes it for like 2 minutes and then it's breaking again. I suppose this is some hardware issue and will return the laptop.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete