PL

3 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 3

Y540-17 i5 2060 - bios with best fan acoustics

2020-09-17, 8:12 AM

Hello

I recently bought Y540 on sale in version i5 2060 17 inch but i have a problem with fan noise in games. Id like to play while other people are in the same room but my fans are too loud.

My temps are around 60 GPU 65 CPU (-1.35 undervolted CPU) but fans are very loud even in quiet mode. I would prefer temps in the 70 and quieter fans.

Im suspecting the bios - i have vesrion 38ww. I tried to backlfash to 26WW but it was dissaster. My laptop started freezing and the only solution was to use bios recovery. 

Getting to the CMOS battery in the 17 is a pain in the a** so i wouldnt want to do it again. Does anyone know what Bios works with my configuration and has gentler fans at least in quiet mode?

thanks for any help

Options

1020 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

123 Signins

5676 Page Views

• Views: 5676
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Y540-17 i5 2060 - bios with best fan acoustics

2020-09-17, 9:32 AM

Hi muszkieter,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I can not say what kind of BIOS is best for the device, but I do have some troubleshooting steps you can try to perform to alleviate the noise. 

Step 1. Decrease Processor maximum state.

- In the Search field type, Control Panel. Select the result.

- In View by: select Large/Small Icons, then select Power Options.

- Click on "Change Plan Settings" for the selected Plan for your device

- Select "Change advanced power settings"

- Expand "Processor power management"

- Set "Maximum processor state" to 98%

Step 2. Checking BIOS for Quiet Mode/DPTF/Thermal Solution Settings.

**Might be that this is where you turned on Quiet Mode, but if you turned on quiet mode in Lenovo Vantage, the BIOS might override that setting if it's off.

- Press the power button to completely shut down the unit.

- Press the Novo Button - The button can be reached/clicked by an unfolded paperclip or similar.

- Go to the option BIOS setup.  

- Then navigate to the Configuration tab and find the option DPTF and switch mode to enabled.

- Under that option, you have the System Performance Mode. Please switch that mode to Quiet Mode.

**NOTE - Not all BIOS versions have these option or the layout varies a bit.

Step 3. Updating the Chipset and Thermal Solution Drivers 

Make sure you have the latest Chipset, Serial I.O and Management Engine Interface(MEI), Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework (DPTF) and/or Intelligent Thermal Solution (ITS) drivers for your device:  

You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page

Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter, might have to press it twice, then head to Drivers & Software then Chipset section.

Step 4. Lenovo Power/Energy Management.

If you have this program, then some consumers have reported removing it has helped with CPU usage, power consumption and fan noise.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

4 Posts

09-16-2020

PL

3 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Y540-17 i5 2060 - bios with best fan acoustics

2020-09-17, 13:32 PM
I turned quiet mode in vantage, didnt know about bios settings. I will try that today
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete