07-14-2020

US

10 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 1 of 3

Y540 Keyboard Firmware Update 00000044

2020-08-01, 18:51 PM

I made a post maybe two weeks ago here about my Y7000 making weird sounds after installing the Y540 keyboard firmware update through Vantage, but that was possibly under the wrong section so I'll just make a new one here. 

Basically, Lenovo Vantage notified me about a new critical update called 'Y540 Keyboard Firmware Update - 10 [64] - 00000044'. I thought that it would be no big deal so I just went on with it, but when the laptop rebooted after installed the update I could hear some sort of static or crackling sound. At first I thought it was the fans but I don't know if that's the case now and I also don't know how to confirm it. All I know is that every time I press the power button and the keyboard lights up I can hear the sound, but I can also hear it whenever fans start spinning after being idle. 

I tried backflashing BIOS from 38WW to 36WW but that did nothing at all so I'm back at 38WW now. I contacted Lenovo Support on Twitter and so far it hasn't been very helpful. If I understand correctly, this firmware cannot be rolled back exactly because it's firmware, it's already flashed. I've read that some Y540 users fixed it by reflashing it but manually by launching the setup without Vantage. I'd like to try that but Vantage is no longer showing the update (so I can't download it) and I also no longer have it on my PC because I installed a fresh copy of Windows. Is there any link for the update, or does anyone still have installation files on their PC?

Oh and I tried restarting Windows and recording the backlight and the sound, I managed to pick it up but it's really faint in the video. https://imgur.com/a/8op697n

Options

1 Posts

08-03-2020

PH

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Y540 Keyboard Firmware Update 00000044

2020-08-03, 11:54 AM

@ Tannhaus wrote:

I made a post maybe two weeks ago here about my Y7000 making weird sounds after installing the Y540 keyboard firmware update through Vantage, but that was possibly under the wrong section so I'll just make a new one here. 

Basically, Lenovo Vantage notified me about a new critical update called 'Y540 Keyboard Firmware Update - 10 [64] - 00000044'. I thought that it would be no big deal so I just went on with it, but when the laptop rebooted after installed the update I could hear some sort of static or crackling sound. At first I thought it was the fans but I don't know if that's the case now and I also don't know how to confirm it. All I know is that every time I press the power button and the keyboard lights up I can hear the sound, but I can also hear it whenever fans start spinning after being idle. 

I tried backflashing BIOS from 38WW to 36WW but that did nothing at all so I'm back at 38WW now. I contacted Lenovo Support on Twitter and so far it hasn't been very helpful. If I understand correctly, this firmware cannot be rolled back exactly because it's firmware, it's already flashed. I've read that some Y540 users fixed it by reflashing it but manually by launching the setup without Vantage. I'd like to try that but Vantage is no longer showing the update (so I can't download it) and I also no longer have it on my PC because I installed a fresh copy of Windows. Is there any link for the update, or does anyone still have installation files on their PC?

Oh and I tried restarting Windows and recording the backlight and the sound, I managed to pick it up but it's really faint in the video. https://imgur.com/a/8op697n

Happened to me a while ago after getting back my y540 from repair. I was notified of the update and without checking, I let it update my system. An error was encountered during firmware installation and I was forced to reboot. Keyboard stopped working after that. Checked Lenovo vantage again, the update was there but I was reluctant to try it after reading user feedback from forums. I tried the web based updated but it just wouldn't push through...just kept me waiting in the dark :(

Checked my system and found this Lenovo System Update app so I ran it, was prompted to install the Y540 Keyboard Firmware Update and it was a success! Maybe you can give that utility a chance.

Options

1 Posts

07-14-2020

US

10 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Y540 Keyboard Firmware Update 00000044

2020-08-03, 21:25 PM

Neither Vantage nor System Update could find the firmware. I eventually remembered to check the Chinese version of the Support page and I found the firmware update there. I tried reinstalling it and the sound is still there. Now after (successfully) reinstalling the update and still being able to hear the sound, I feel like I was wrong to assume that it was the keyboard making it in the first place. It seems like it's actually the fans making the sound, although not always. They work fine and keep the temps stable under load, but they sometimes make this sound when they start spinning. I'm not sure why is this happening.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete