Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stash64
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,452
Message 1 of 7

Y700 (15ISK) Display

Just ran a calibration of the display using Calman RGB last night and have to say that I am a little disappointed.  The grayscale calibration worked well and I ended up with under .5% error but the color was way off out of the box and for some reason the Calman software could not make any significant improvement to the primary and seconday colors.  Initial color error was almost 9%... a very noticable flaw in color reproduction.  Calman did manage to improve other color points to get the overall color error to about 3% but, if just measuring the primaries and secondaries, the error appears to be in the 7% to 8% range.

Curious if anyone else has tried calibrating their Y700 and managed to achieve better results ?

Also curious what others think about the mod to remove the anti-glare film ?  I don't like it.  It actually creates a haze under direct sunlight.  And I wonder if the anti-glare film is messing with the color.

systox
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,346
Message 2 of 7

Re: Y700 (15ISK) Display

The antiglare really does impact clarity. I'm not sure if colors are affected by it, but reason seams to think yes to some extent.
stash64
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,338
Message 3 of 7

Yeah... I think I will end up removing it, but might wait until the warranty is up.

I came across someone on YouTube removing it very slowly and carefully using some heat from a hair dryer.  Wish I would have thought to bookmark the link but should be able to find it again with a little googling.

My favorite monitor by far has been the Dell VA panel I purchased a year or so ago and it has absolutely no anti-glare feature.  It has better color reproduction and is sharper/more detailed than any LCD monitor I've owned previously.

systox
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,332
Message 4 of 7

I performed the modification on one of my laptops from lenovo. I did use the hair dryer technique. I put it on the hottest setting and the slowest fan speed.

In case you need to remember later, you can only heat up a small strip at a time, there's no way to keep the whole thing hot enough.

I started by heating up the bottom left corner since it had the biggest gap i could find between the protector and screen edge ridges and very very carefully used a razor edge to lift it up. I highly recommend you find some extremely sticky double sided tape to do the lift up instead so you don't risk scratching the bezel.

From there on i just gently lifted and applied heat right where i expected the protector to lift off of the screen.

The process takes some patience and care not to tug on the screen excessively but its not difficult.

I bet, those glossy displays are beautiful. I'm not going to remove the protector from the y700 either. I wish it was sharper, but i can't risk the reflections in my current setting.
dwsalzer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,039
Message 5 of 7

My antiglare plastic film had become quite scratched so I used the same technique as systox to remove it from my Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga screen.

I had seem some postings indicating it might take an hour to remove the plastic anti-glare film but the whole process took less than 10 minutes.  I found the corner with the most accessible edge of the plastic film (2mm gap between the edge of the film), used a hair dryer to heat up the corner, used a razor blade to peel up the film a bit, used tweezers to grab hold of the film and pull back diagonally.  I switched to needlenoze visegrip pliers to hold the film (to get my hand further away from the hot air) and kept peeling back, sweeping the hair dryer back and forth along the peel line.  I then got my wife to run the hair dryer so that I could use one hand to hold the panel flat against the counter and the other hand (with a glove, again to deal with the heat issue), to peel the film back.  The adhesive is strong so you have to pull pretty hard so it was helpful to have an extra hand to hold the screen down.

The whole process went very smoothly and there was almost no residual adhesive left on the glass.  The little bit of glue that was there (at the starting corner) cleaned off easily with glass cleaner.

My screen looks SO MUCH BETTER - I wish I had done this a year ago.  I've added some adhesive pads around the perimeter of the laptop to keep the glass raised up off the keyboard - and especially the ridge at the top of the touch pad.  Contact with the keyboard and chassis ridge was responsible for the worst of the markings on the plastic film.

tarekr
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,346
Message 6 of 7

I have the same problem. I contacted Lenovo support via chat. They told me to uninstall and reinstall the driver but with no sucess. The screen of Samsung Note4 mobile phone is more vivid than Y700 screen. After repetitive contact with Lenovo support they said to contact my local support because maybe it is a hardware defect.

The problem is persiting and don't try to touch the color calibration because it will lead to others problems

Jemlnlx
Paper Tape
Views: 537
Message 7 of 7

This thread is old but I wanted to share my experience with removing the Anti-Glare film. I've had my 4K 15" Touch Y700 for about two years now and have been happy with it as far as performance goes. Being heavily into photography and looking at my camera LCD and external monitor, I noticed immediately that the colors were off on the laptop, casting a greenish/yellow hue. I read that this is the case with botht the 4K and FHD models. I tried using the in-computer color calibration tools in the computer but couldn't get it right. I even bought a ColorMunki color calibrator but I still wasn't happy with the post-calibration results. I read that the the Anti-Glare film was the cause of the bland and greenish yellow hued colors. Initially I didn't want to remove due to warranty concerns at that time. 

I finally bit the bullet and removed the Anit-Glare film last night. As mentioned in a few other forums (including this one), I used a blow dryer. Started at a corner that gave me the most free play and used an exacto knife to life the corner. I tried a credit card at first but even after heating the corner with the hair dryer it didn't just pop up as I expected. I carefully slid the exacto knife under the film and was able to pull about an inch of the film away from the screen. At that point, I simply ran the hair dryer (on low setting) back and forth while pulling away (in the opposite corner direction) of the film. I took my time. The film was stuck pretty good on there and the only way it gave way was when I had the hair dryer on there for about 2 minutes at a time. The whole process only took me about 20-25 minutes. I think it could be cut down to 10-15 but I only pulled away at the film when there was less resistance, to ensure the screen would be damaged, or no residue would be left. The film itself is fairly thick (as you can see from the cutout hole around the webcam). 

The glossy screen underneath is beautiful. No gummy/adhesive residue at all. Looks sharper and colors are better...but definitely not a "fix" for the laptop's color issues. It is definitely an improvement though. After I removed the film, I used the Color Calibration tool on the laptop and matched it to colors on my SLR (5D Mark IV) and my other monitor, to where I was satisfied. I actually ended up using the color profile (ICC file) found online: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Ideapad-Y700-15ISK-80NW-Notebook-Review.155878.0.html

The touch function works fine, but because the screen is now glassy, there is more resistance when swiping, especially if you have sweaty fingertips...just something to keep in mind. I did notice a bit more glare on the glossy screen, but haven't been in a high-glare environment yet to see how bad it gets. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors