cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarthVadir
Fanfold Paper
Views: 49,792
Message 1 of 42

Y700 15ISK - How to install windows 7 64bit?

My laptop came with windows 10 pre-installed.  I've been trying to downgrade it to windows 7 64 bit.  Every time i put the CD in the drive to boot windows 7, it seems to work up until the point where it scans the hardware configuration.  At that point it asks me for drivers and will not continue. There are drivers for windows 7 on the product page for this model, but they look like drivers that you would use after you get windows installed.

Can someone post me the steps about what i need to do in order to make this work?  What settings i need to have in the bios, and any drivers i would need for the install of windows 7?

Thanks

DarthVadir
Fanfold Paper
Views: 49,563
Message 2 of 42

Re: Y700 15ISK - How to install windows 7 64bit?

So to update this, i still haven't figured out how to install windows 7 on this.  Here's what i've done:

I've used both the Windows 7 DVD and i created a bootable USB wiith it (UEFI Boot).  They work.

I disabled the  security in the bios, so i could work with UEFI, but when i boot the machine with either, the windows 7 loading screen happens, then it freezes on the Starting Windows animated logo.  I can get no further.

When i set the bios to boot in legacy mode it gets past that part, but then asks me for a driver.   I've downloaded all of the windows 7 64 bit drivers on the Y700-15ISK driver page, but none of them seem to be the driver that windows is looking for.

Right now i'm a little at the end of my rope on this.  Any help would be appreciated.

DarthVadir
Fanfold Paper
Views: 49,552
Message 3 of 42

OK, the next thing i did, was to slipstream all of the drivers i downloaded into the USB install of windows 7. 

After i did that, and i booted the computer with it, i still had a screen asking me for drivers to continue the windows 7 installation.

Ok lenovo what do i do now?

bobqu
Punch Card
Views: 49,421
Message 4 of 42

Hello, 

I  have te same problem. Did you managed to solve this problem by your own?

bobqu
Punch Card
Views: 49,366
Message 5 of 42

If you are still interested I managed to solve the problem. It is a little bit of hassle to do it but it works!!!

So I installed windows 10 without activating it. You can get the iso from microsoft website. I have created 2 partions and downloaded y700 drivers from the lenovo website( put them on the win10 partition). Plug in the usb stick with windows 7 instalation files and start the setup in windows 10 and install it on the second partition. Switch to windows 7 when instalation is finished and install drivers. Afterwards you can wipe the windows 10 partition and enjoy your new windows 7 system Smiley Very Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 49,363
Message 6 of 42

@DarthVadir wrote:

So to update this, i still haven't figured out how to install windows 7 on this.  Here's what i've done:

I've used both the Windows 7 DVD and i created a bootable USB wiith it (UEFI Boot).  They work.

I disabled the  security in the bios, so i could work with UEFI, but when i boot the machine with either, the windows 7 loading screen happens, then it freezes on the Starting Windows animated logo.  I can get no further.

When i set the bios to boot in legacy mode it gets past that part, but then asks me for a driver.   I've downloaded all of the windows 7 64 bit drivers on the Y700-15ISK driver page, but none of them seem to be the driver that windows is looking for.

Right now i'm a little at the end of my rope on this.  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm late to the party, but when a Win 7 UEFI install freezes on the dancing lights logo it can mean that CSM support needs to be enabled in BIOS.  Sometimes it's an explicit setting and sometimes it's done via the "other OS" default option.  I don't have access to a Y700 to verify.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

TheJohnSmith
Fanfold Paper
Views: 49,335
Message 7 of 42

I dont really understand.  Can you explain better for a person who is an idiot?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 49,329
Message 8 of 42

@TheJohnSmith wrote:

I dont really understand.  Can you explain better for a person who is an idiot?

I don't see an earlier post from you in this thread so I'd have to guess at what you're trying to do.

Please give us some detail on your issue or project.

Regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

TheJohnSmith
Fanfold Paper
Views: 49,327
Message 9 of 42

When I use a bootable USB or the external CDDVD drive with Windows 7 installer, I always get to the same point as the first guy, which is when it says it cannot find any drivers.

I guess what I dont understand is how do you get onto Windoiws 7 on the partitoned part of the HDD to delete the windows 10 part?  

bobqu
Punch Card
Views: 49,307
Message 10 of 42

Ok, I will try to explain it clearer:

1. Go on another computer and download windows 10 installer ( http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209 ).

2. Using the tool create a bootable copy of windows 10. If you will have a problem with making the usb, create an iso istead of usb and use rufus to make a bootable usb ( https://rufus.akeo.ie/ )

3. It would be a good idea to download from lenovo site drivers for y700 wlan and put them on windows 10 usb stick.

(http://support.lenovo.com/pl/pl/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/IdeaPad-Y-Series-laptops/y700-15isk?). Remeber to download the driveers for windows 7! not windows 10. You can additionaly download usb drivers they can be handy later.

There a 2 different drivers so download them both just in case.

4. Start windows 10 installation using the usb drive you have created. During instalation create 2 partitions. On the first one install windows 10.

If you don't know how to do it here is short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8UN1njjDkM

5. Copy wlan drivers to your hardisk (to the one where the windows 10 is). After doing that plug usb with windows 7 instalation files and start the instalaltion in windows 10 (just go in file explorer into the usb drive and click setup.exe). It will go through without any error. Choose for instaltion the second partition ( the one which is empty ). After instaling go in windows 7 go to the drive  where windows 10 is and instal the wlan drivers. When you will have access to internet download rest of the drivers for your computer from lenovo website. Some of them need to be installed in order. Just read the instalation messages carefully when you do it. 

6. When you are finished, in windows 7 right click the partition with windows 10 and hit format. Uncheck the quick format option and click ok. 

7. That's all Smiley Very Happy

If you will have any other problems don't hesitate to ask Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors