Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david2b
What's DOS?
Views: 6,874
Message 1 of 10

Y700-15ISK Laptop (ideapad) keyboard replace

Hi everybody

I have to replace the keyboard of my lenovo y700-15ISK. I'm looking for the screws securing the keyboard and I can't find them. Where are they ? How do I replace the keyboard ?

TIA

David

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 6,838
Message 2 of 10

Re: Y700-15ISK Laptop (ideapad) keyboard replace

Good day and welcome to the community.

Looking at the hardware manual, pages 75-77: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y700-15_17isk_15acz_touch-15isk_hmm_201510...., the keyboard is integral to the upper case. So to replace the keyboard, it looks like a complete tear-down, and you'll need to replace the entire upper case component.

Hope this helps to clarify.
Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

david2b
What's DOS?
Views: 6,831
Message 3 of 10

Spoiler

Hi

Thank you for your answering. It's not so clear to me. I've bought the keyboard onyl https://www.myfixguide.com/store/keyboard-for-lenovo-ideapad-y700-15.html

I don't see where I have to replace the entire upper case component ...  It seems that there is no indication for keyboard replacement in this doc ?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 6,813
Message 4 of 10

Hi david2b,

The Y700's keyboard is replaceable, though it's not as simple as, say, the Thinkpad line.

If you look at the above linked manual, Lenovo usually deems the top bezel and keyboard as one part. I have no idea if your listing linked is both the bezel and keyboard, or the keyboard only. However, reading the HMM, you'll need to perform the following actions (from Page 55):

1110 Upper case

For access, remove these FRUs in order:

• “1010 Base cover” on page 33

• “1020 Battery pack” on page 38

• “1030 Solid state disk and hard disk drive” on page 40

• “1040 PCI Express Mini Card for wireless LAN” on page 43

• “1060 LED board” on page 46

• “1070 Subwoofer” on page 47

• “1080 USB board” on page 48

• “1090 Fan assembly and Heat Sink assembly” on page 50

• “1100 System board” on page 52

Given the complexity of this, may I ask what failed on the keyboard?

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
zsolesz79
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,751
Message 5 of 10

Having the same problem, removed everythiny you mentioned but can't find a way to remove the keyboard itself. Seems like it's soldered to the case. Can you give us any detailed guideline how to do it?

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 6,730
Message 6 of 10

Just a guess but I think it's some plastic parts welded together. Maybe you'd have to use a heat gun (careful with that though). Officially it's a single FRU with the top cover so there are no instructions how to split the two. If you manage to do it please share your experience.

sarrant
Paper Tape
Views: 4,250
Message 7 of 10

Update as somebody who found this thread while making this repair.

I did this: snipped the heads off the top of the plastic studs with some fingernail clippers, placed the replacement keyboard and shield/mobo mount over the studs, and put a dab of epoxy over each stud top once all in place.

oboi
What's DOS?
Views: 3,997
Message 8 of 10

Hi thanks for the update! I'm about to order a keyboard and go through the whole process too, any tips? is it still holding up well?

Cheers! 

Dinozzo1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,456
Message 9 of 10

Hi in service manual "Turn the computer over, and then open the computer display. Separate the
base cover from the upper case in the direction shown by arrow" . Is it so easy replace keyboard ?
Dieselman
What's DOS?
Views: 450
Message 10 of 10

This wasn't hard to do but was very labor intensive and requires alot of patience. The whole process with allowing the epoxy to cure took about 4.5 hours. There were at least 50 plastic rivets to cut and some were in hard to reach areas. Before you epoxy everything use some of the screws to hold down the metal backing plate to the keyboard. I also used some small plastic clamps to hold everything down nice and tight while it dried.

My only regret was that I didn't take some pictures to show anybody else that may be going this route. My honest opinion is to just replace the piece as a whole which is what they reccomend anyways. After you epoxy this the 1st time there's no chance of replacing the keyboard again. You'll have to break the backing plate off which would damage other components.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors