Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AugustHaze
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 28,307
Message 1 of 8

Y700 15ISK Screen color calibration

Hello guys. I've had my Y700 15ISK 80NV for abouth a month now. Out of the box, the colors look very much washed out. I've tried a manual calibraton of the screen with Intel HD Graphics color setup but I just can't find the right spot. Some advice on this?

ebaig5
What's DOS?
Views: 27,644
Message 2 of 8

Re: Y700 15ISK Screen color calibration

Hey I just came across your post on the forums. I just recently bought the Y700 and noticed the same slightly washed out colors on my display. I was wondering if you happened to come across a solution and would be willing to share?

Thank you!

AugustHaze
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 27,599
Message 3 of 8

I'll gladly share. I found 2 ways to calibrate the screen:

1. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Ideapad-Y700-15ISK-80NW-Notebook-Review.155878.0.html

Head to the display section, right next to the screen brightness grid you'll find a box with the summarized description of the screen. The last sentence is a WINDOWS COLOR PROFILE link (ICC File (X-Rite i1Pro 2)), download it and install it (I searched on google to do this, it's really simple).

2. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10026/the-lenovo-ideapad-y700-laptop-review

I found a user's comment in the review of this laptop model by anandtech.com that gave instructions on a personal calibrating method. It uses Intel and Windows setup.

1. Go to Control panel then Intel HD graphics, then Display. Select colour settings then select Basic. Reduce brightness from 0 to -20. Leave gamma and contrast as default. Click Apply. Then select Advance. Increase hue from 0 to 16, increase saturation from 0 to 57. Click Apply and close Intel HD graphics. 2. While still on control panel window, select Display then select Calibrate colour. Click next next next until you reach Adjust colour balance. Move the Red and Green sliders from 100% to somewhere around 85% by eye. Leave the Blue slider at 100% (default) and click Next then Finish.

I chose the calibration profile from notebookcheck.com, personal preferences, it's up to you.

PD: When you use a custom Windows Color Profile, full screen applications (like any game running in full-screen) will override it and show the default color profile from Windows (washed out colors). To prevent this, you can switch the application to windowed full-screen or download "Color Profile Keeper", which locks your custom color profile even if you're using a full-screen app. I always use this CPKeeper for gaming.

I've also created a IntelHD profile called "gaming", which is basically just a little bit more gamma and brightness.

Hope this helped!

ebaig5
What's DOS?
Views: 27,566
Message 4 of 8

Thank you thank you thank you AugustHaze for the in-depth answer (especially since I commented months after the initial post)!

Honestly really appreciate it. Seemed to do the trick and fixed the washed out colors problem!

AugustHaze
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 27,541
Message 5 of 8

Glad I helped! Hope you fight your color spot!
David_uh
What's DOS?
Views: 21,566
Message 6 of 8

The problem is the screen protector included in it, remove this using heat from a hair dryer NOT HEAT GUN in this video you can see this https://youtu.be/f4UatgJxohY

Jemlnlx
Paper Tape
Views: 10,821
Message 7 of 8

This thread is old but I wanted to share my experience with removing the Anti-Glare film. I've had my 4K 15" Touch Y700 for about two years now and have been happy with it as far as performance goes. Being heavily into photography and looking at my camera LCD and external monitor, I noticed immediately that the colors were off on the laptop, casting a greenish/yellow hue. I read that this is the case with botht the 4K and FHD models. I tried using the in-computer color calibration tools in the computer but couldn't get it right. I even bought a ColorMunki color calibrator but I still wasn't happy with the post-calibration results. I read that the the Anti-Glare film was the cause of the bland and greenish yellow hued colors. Initially I didn't want to remove due to warranty concerns at that time. 

I finally bit the bullet and removed the Anit-Glare film last night. As mentioned in a few other forums (including this one), I used a blow dryer. Started at a corner that gave me the most free play and used an exacto knife to life the corner. I tried a credit card at first but even after heating the corner with the hair dryer it didn't just pop up as I expected. I carefully slid the exacto knife under the film and was able to pull about an inch of the film away from the screen. At that point, I simply ran the hair dryer (on low setting) back and forth while pulling away (in the opposite corner direction) of the film. I took my time. The film was stuck pretty good on there and the only way it gave way was when I had the hair dryer on there for about 2 minutes at a time. The whole process only took me about 20-25 minutes. I think it could be cut down to 10-15 but I only pulled away at the film when there was less resistance, to ensure the screen would be damaged, or no residue would be left. The film itself is fairly thick (as you can see from the cutout hole around the webcam). 

The glossy screen underneath is beautiful. No gummy/adhesive residue at all. Looks sharper and colors are better...but definitely not a "fix" for the laptop's color issues. It is definitely an improvement though. After I removed the film, I used the Color Calibration tool on the laptop and matched it to colors on my SLR (5D Mark IV) and my other monitor, to where I was satisfied. I actually ended up using the color profile (ICC file) found online: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Ideapad-Y700-15ISK-80NW-Notebook-Review.155878.0.html

The touch function works fine, but because the screen is now glassy, there is more resistance when swiping, especially if you have sweaty fingertips...just something to keep in mind. I did notice a bit more glare on the glossy screen, but haven't been in a high-glare environment yet to see how bad it gets. 

icebean
Paper Tape
Views: 10,587
Message 8 of 8

Thanks. I also removed the Anit-Glare film just now. The Anit-Glare film is thick and not clear.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors