Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 943
Message 1 of 11

Y700-15ISK Win10 continously Nvidia driver crashes

I have this laptop for more than 4 months now and I cannot play on it. I am using it on two external monitors. One on HDMI and one on a USB3 display link (also hdmi). (Perfectly works when im in work using 3D Studio Max, Photoshop, Premiere pro, etc. but useless with games)

I am able to play with any games for like 5-10 minutes and then the Nvidia driver randomly crashes with various error messages:

Images of various error messages

I have tried to solve it for many many hours but I am out of ideas. Here is what I did:

- Download and install newest and some older Nvidia drivers (incluiding and excluding Nvidia Experience)
- Upgrade Bios to 35WW
- Set everything to High performance NVIDIA processor in Nvidia control panel.
- Set always Nvidia in physx
- Tried to download and install the newest (including betas) intel GPU drivers and some older.
- Set everything to performance in Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel
- Not using any external monitors (I have crashes that way as well)

I don't know where to go now... It seems that it is a driver problem, or anything like that but I don't think that it would be a hardware problem because when it is runnning it is smooth and good performance. The temperatures are totally ok, max 70-75 celsius degrees. I cannot see throttling at all.

Is anyone out there with similar problem?

The games I tried to run:
- Star Wars: Battlefront 3
- Battlefield 4

- World of Tanks
- Alien Isolation

I would like (very very want to!) to play on this machine but currently it makes me angry with these 5-10 minutes crashes.

Please help if someone has an idea or solution.

Thank you!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 934
Message 2 of 11

Re: Y700-15ISK Win10 continously Nvidia driver crashes

Could you try running Furmark, and let me know if it crashes?

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
whiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 926
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for your answer! I did it.

First I have started the stress test on 1920x1080 and waiting but no crashing. I decided to run prime95 simultainously to stress it harder and yes it has been crashed in very short time. I've received the following errors:

Nvidia crashes and graphs

If I run only furmark it is not crashing. If I run both CPU and GPU stress it is starting to crashing nearly immediately.

With these high loads the CPU starting to throttle but I cannot see that the Nvidia has started to.

whiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 921
Message 4 of 11

Ok, some further tests and a thing maybe...

So I made a lot of stress to both the cpu and gpu and I tried to monitor it with multiple graphs. I can say that every time (10+ tries) the gpu reached the 80 celsius degree and the nvidia driver has been crashed.

Is this GPU has an 80° limit and then disconnects? Is could be why the driver crashes?

whiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 897
Message 5 of 11

I've tried to get some information from other sources and found an app called Nvidia Inspector. Here as I understand the max GPU temperature for throttling is 92°.

So I don't understand how is it possible that my laptop crashes it's Nvidia driver always exactly at 80°. It is burned into else where.

Anyone has this problem besides me? I cannot beleive that only I am who faces it. If yes it could be a hardware problem...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 882
Message 6 of 11

If you are hitting 92 degrees, then there's no issue with the GPU itself. The driver crashing may actually be a result of bad memory (there's still some shared RAM services which will crash the driver if you run out of RAM).

Could you try running a memtest86 test to see if your RAM is healthy?

http://www.memtest86.com/

whiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 876
Message 7 of 11

I am unable to reach 92° the driver stops working when the GPU reaches 80°.

I am going to test the memory now, but I don't think it would be the problem. It is clearly temperature related.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 861
Message 8 of 11

Just wanted to cover the memory. Also, have you run the Hardware Scan in the Lenovo Companion App? It may help identify if there is a hardware issue.

whiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 844
Message 9 of 11

I did memtest for a night long running but it returned no errors.

I did all the quick tests and then a comprehensive in Lenovo Companion (Solution Center) but everything is alright.

http://imgur.com/a/UcZdH

I have removed the back cover and cleaned the fans and radiators with high pressure air (Cleaned the dust filter as well).

I have tried to lift the laptop upper from the table with a cooler pad, I could save some time but 80° reached again.

I have tried to turn off turbo boost on CPU to save heat, but not helping. A bit later but the GPU reaches the 80° and driver crashes as before.

My room temperature is arround 21-23° so I am out of ideas. I don't want to sit in colder environment because of the laptop.

For this model what is the usual working temperature for the GPU when gaming?

I don't think that the cooling paste / contact is wrong between the GPU and the heat pipes because the temperature goes sligthly slow to arround 80° (It takes arround 5-10-20 minutes in game. Or 5 minutes when benchmarking with Furmark and Prime95).

Because of the CPU's higher working temperature which is arround 90° (On benchmark) and based on they are on one heating system, I think that is impossible to stay lower with GPU temperature because the CPU heats it (Or am I wrong?).

What could be the source of the problem?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 825
Message 10 of 11

I'm currently about 36,000ft in the air, so setting up the Y700 is difficult right now, to say the least.

I'll try running both apps tonight simultaneously to see if I can kill the driver. 

Top Kudoed Authors