09-15-2019

US

7 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 1 of 3

Y700-17ISK CPU

2019-09-15, 4:36 AM

After applying new thermal paste, my pc sometimes crashes and alot of of the time freezes, did i apply the thermal paste wrong?

I squeeze a pea-sized dot on the cpu and the other cpu-looking thing, then let the heatsink spread it so that it wouldn’t have air bubbles, is there anything else that might be causing the crashes?

I have also already tried restting my pc.

Options

254 Posts

08-21-2016

US

1256 Signins

9347 Page Views

• Views: 9347
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Y700-17ISK CPU

2019-09-16, 12:35 PM

From what you describe I think you applied the thermal paste correctly but to be more or less sure run something like HwInfo to see what the temperatures are (particularly under load): https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Generally, overheating would most likely be causing performance issues or sudden power-offs. Freezes and crashes you describe would typically be associated with undervolting (are you using for example ThrottleStop?) but there could be a lot of other reasons as well.

• Have you changed anything else recently on the computer (including software-side: Windows updates, etc.)?
  • Does this happen when the system is under heavy load, or when it's idle?
  • When fastening the heatsink did you follow the order printed on it (from 1 to 6)?
  • One other thing to consider, even if you applied the thermal paste well (I wouldn't be moving the heatsink after applying it but there's more than one way to do it right), it might be that the thermal pads on secondary components are not in contact with the surface they are supposed to dissipate heat from (this would also not show in temperature readings unfortunately). Could this be your situation?
Tell Lenovo the Y700 needs a better boot logo here
Options

3 Posts

09-15-2019

US

7 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Y700-17ISK CPU

2019-09-16, 19:51 PM

Hi, thanks for replying, I have repasted and rescrewed it in the correct order but it seems like it is still prone to freezes and crashes.  Especially freezing when I press performance on task manager, and when it crashes, it says drive power state failure as the error message; all whilst at a normal load, not heavy.  It also crashes when I try to run the HWin program.

Edit: The program works when I box the summary button. And the sensors button, but only one at a time, now the temperatures seem to do fine; they sctually seem very good of being around 90 degrees fahrenheit.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save