cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soaks
Paper Tape
Views: 191
Message 1 of 4

Y700-17ISK - No Firmware Update Still for Intel Spectre & Meltdown / Installation issues.

Will I ever get a firmware upate for my Y700-17ISK Ideapad?  The firmware listed at this location, https://support.lenovo.com/pe/en/solutions/len-18282, E5CN62WW, does not work as a download and the same version listed under 700-17ISK will not install as the installation program says it isn't compatable with my machine.  This has been unbelieveably frustrating.  Still having sart-up issues.  Is there any hope in the near future the new firmware will be available?  Been waiting for months.

Mod's Edit: Additional information added to Subject line for clarity of issue.

soaks
Paper Tape
Views: 140
Message 2 of 4

Re: Y700-17ISK - No Firmware Update Still for Intel Spectre & Meltdown / Installation issues.

Thanks to the forum!  One post mentioned going into the bios and setting the bios setting to allow previous versions to be installed.  I did this and was at least able to reinstall the current bios and get back where I started before the intel meltdown and spectre issue.

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 130
Message 3 of 4

Re: Y700-17ISK - No Firmware Update Still for Intel Spectre & Meltdown / Installation issues.

The 700 series is a different design: firmware is Tianocore-based, while on the Y700 it's Insyde H2O. I don't think there will be any further updates for the Y700, ever. Yeah, it is remarkable how they don't even acknowledge their product on the page listing affected systems that you linked to.

If you're concerned about Spectre/Meltdown mitigation, you can flash newer ME and microcode updates manually. It might slow the computer down though. Whatever start-up issues you're having, it's unlikely to be related to these vulnerabilities though. Reflashing the BIOS restores all settings to their defaults, which is why it was likely to help.

soaks
Paper Tape
Views: 108
Message 4 of 4

Thanks Hyperfish.  Last Lenovo for me.  I've always bought their products and recommended them but this has made me rethink that based on their lack of committment to service.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors