Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cloves
Punch Card
Views: 1,639
Message 1 of 33

Y700 Brand New - Dual Boot Windows 7 & Windows 10

Hi all,

Just got my Y700, saw that the bios is actually UEFI and not bios. Not at all impressed with windows 10! I would like to:

A. Shrink down my primary partition to install Windows 7 also add another partition for my documents and have system dual boot.

B. Fresh install windows 10 less the Lenovo bloat. This brand new computer is super slow at bootup!

C. Does putting this system in Legacy mode enable the old bios style?

Any tutorials or tips on the above would be great!

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,606
Message 2 of 33

Re: Y700 Brand New - Dual Boot Windows 7 & Windows 10

I have an Ideapad 700-15ISK (not a Y700-15ISK), and have just done pretty much what you are planning to do.  However, I had great difficulty installing Windows 7, because the Win 7 DVD does not contain drivers for the USB sockets.  Consequently, it is impossible to install Windows 7 from a USB DVD drive (or from an equivalent USB memory-stick).  It boots and starts the installation process, but almost immediately stops, complaining about a missing driver.

The recommended solution is to create a "slipstreamed" Win 7 DVD or memory-stick.  This is a normal Win 7 DVD/memory-stick, but with the additional drivers added.  If you google for "Windows 7 slipstream", you will find some web pages that address this process.  Be warned: it is not trivial!

I actually chickened out, and installed Windows 7 by a different route.  I happen to have also an Ideapad 500-15ISK, and that has an internal DVD drive.  So I installed Windows 7 on the 500, created an image of the partition, and then copied that image to the 700.  The 500 and 700 are sufficiently similar that this works (although the 700 has a flurry of driver installing on first boot).  On both systems, many drivers are missing, but almost all can be downloaded from the Lenovo support page (at least, they can for the 700; I don't know whether that is true for the Y700).

The final piece of the puzzle is to boot the Windows 10 system, and copy the missing Win 7 drivers from a USB memory stick onto a data partition that can be accessed from Windows 7.  Then boot Windows 7 and install the drivers.

The problematic drivers were:

(1) NVMe driver for the Samsung SSD.  This can be found on the Lenovo website; it's "wkssd02ws14".  Once installed, the SSD is recognised correctly by Win 7.

(2) Intel RapidStore driver.  This does not install because it uses Microsoft .Net 4.5, and that is not included on the Win 7 DVD.  So you need to download this first and install it, before you can install the RapidStore drivers.

(3) Power Management driver for "ACPI\VPC2004".  This is included in the install for various of the Lenovo "Energy Management" applications, but finding them can be difficult.  This old version worked:

http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/Driver/en/Downloads%20and%20Drivers/G460&G560/WIN7/IN1EGC15WW6....

as did this newer version (even though it has a lower version number):

http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/g50-45-noteboo...

Both include the missing driver, and both support the "battery conservation" feature.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

cloves
Punch Card
Views: 1,597
Message 3 of 33

Wow thanks for pointing this all ask out! Based on what you just mentioned I'm running searches on Windows 7 install.

I went with just the standard hard drive so the ssd shouldn't be a problem. However the other 2 you mentioned I'll have to figure out if I have those.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,573
Message 4 of 33

I have just found this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y700-15ISK-How-to-install-windows-7-64bit/td-p/...

It is worth reading, and suggests some alternative solutions.

cloves
Punch Card
Views: 1,547
Message 5 of 33

Cyber, thanks again for the link. Found that the following day. I have just started making my own custom Windows 7 sp1 iso while adding all the convenience roll ups and updates using NTlite. I downloaded the windows 7 drivers for the y700 as well and will be integrating. Its taking a beast amount of time. I have used Raymonds blog for a "how to".

Lucky for me you mentioned the problem drivers including the Intel RapidStore driver which requires Microsoft .Net 4.5. His article on page mentions that the only way to install that since it is an exe is silently when the windows 7 install reboots. I didn't integrate that portion so I will post back if my build works. Fingers crossed! Still building the iso and trying to figure out how to install windows 7 and 10 and the order etc.

Keep findign conflicting information Smiley Sad

Hoping to now go with 2 windows 7 partitions and a windows 10.

Guru
Views: 1,545
Message 6 of 33

Guys does this really means that the y700 (15 or 17) with the i7 supports NVMe ??!!

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

cloves
Punch Card
Views: 1,540
Message 7 of 33

My laptop didn't come with an SSD. I did however put the USB 3 drivers into my custom build. I'll update this thread once I get it off the ground.

Here is a link on Windows 7 and setting up an SSD with NVMe

Link

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,532
Message 8 of 33

@cloves wrote:

...  I have used Raymonds blog for a "how to"  ...   Lucky for me you mentioned the problem drivers including the Intel RapidStore driver which requires Microsoft .Net 4.5; I didn't integrate that portion so I will post back if my build works  ... 
Hoping now to go with 2 windows 7 partitions and a windows 10.

Thanks; I have bookmarked the site that you mentioned (in case I get the urge to create a slipstreamed Windows 7 DVD!).

The Intel Rapid Store drivers are not mandatory -- Windows 7 installs and runs quite happily without them.  So your build should work OK.  I think that Windows 7 uses generic Microsoft drivers on installation.  The Rapid Store drivers presumably enable optimisations that are missing from the generic MS drivers.

I will be multibooting too, but I have not got that part setup yet.  The boot manager that I will be using is "Bootit Bare Metal" (BIBM) from Terabyte Unlimited.  It is not freeware, but it is a versatile boot manager and partition imager (I create all of my partition backups using it).  The only downside is that I need to convert the Windows 10 installation on the SSD from GPT to MBR (BIBM cannot boot GPT partitions).  Windows 7 on the HDD is already MBR.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,530
Message 9 of 33

@1gamatotigraki wrote:
Guys does this really means that the y700 (15 or 17) with the i7 supports NVMe ??!!

My laptop did come with an SSD, but my laptop is a 700-15ISK, not a Y700-15ISK (who thinks up these names? Smiley Frustrated).

The 700 does support NVMe SSDs.  In Win 10 "Device Manager", the "Disk Drives" section describes the SSD as "NVMe SAMSUNG MZVLV128".  In the model number, I think that the "VLV" part indicates NVMe ("HLV" in the model number indicates something different, AHCI possibly).

Look in the "Hardware Maintenance Manual" for your Y700, and look at the parts specifications for compatible SSDs.  If the Samsung parts have "VLV" in their numbers, they are presumably NVMe SSDs. Smiley Happy

Guru
Views: 1,526
Message 10 of 33

Can you test your disk to see if it can actually reach nvme speeds and post a screenshot? Edit: The y700 is more expensive than 700 so it probably supports nvme

SSD.jpg

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors