cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
novaspring
Paper Tape
Views: 579
Message 1 of 4

Y700 DOA from factory - exception for in-home repair?

I purchased a Yoga 700 14ISK via EPP (friend of an employee).  I was looking for something new to take with me on a contract (Canadian going to work in the US for 6 months) which I am leaving for in less than 3 weeks.  I can say that I was a bit excited to get my new machine, especially with an i7 and Geforce graphics.  After waiting 14+days, the machine was delivered to my home late last night, and with coffee in hand this morning, opened the box and was ready to get down to making it mine.  Manufacture date on the bottom of the machine Jan 21, 2016....sweet!

All my hopes were dashed in the first 10 seconds....as per the instructions in the box I connected the machine to the power supply, apparently so the battery would come out of "ship mode".  Keyboard backlight lit up, fan came on for 1 second then.....nothing.  Black screen, no fan, no beeps,  just silence.  I thought OK, turn it off, then on again....nope, then ok, maybe the battery is so dead it needs a bit of a charge...back in an hour.....nope, same result.  Hum, Dual monitor, fn f10, nope, brightness, fn f11, nope, somehow in rotation mode, fn f9....nope

So on the phone I get with lenovo support.  After going through the name, S/N stuff, I describe my problem...oh and I should mention that even thought the machine appears to be DOA as described above, the keyboard caps lock will light up and I can also make the keyboard backlight come on (fn spacebar) so machine does how power.  The Lenovo support person asks me to

1. disconnect the power and hold the power button for 1 min to "drain the battery" connect the power back up and turn back on...no change.  

2. Asked if the light on the power button is on, yes, unplug, is it still on, yes.

3. Turn off and use the novo button.....nope

Support then informs me that there is nothing else they can do and I can either contact post sales on Monday for a refund or I can send it for Depot repair (I purchased 3 yr extended support with AD but did not get in-home as I was advised by pre-sales that they would not honor the in-home in the US, but would honor depot).  

Neither option will leave me with a working machine in time for my departure

1. By the time I order a new machine, have it manufactured and sent, I will be off to the US

2. Depot service is not an option as service is 7 business days and with 5 days for shipping on either side, I will be gone.

3. Support supervisor suggested taking the DOA machine to the US then having it serviced there, but as anyone who has flown recently knows, airport security will not allow laptops through security if they don't turn on.

Based on my situation, I asked the supervisor to grant an exception for in-home service this one time since the machine is DOA out of the box.....nope, sorry, I will need to take it up with post sales and they are not open until Monday at 9am.

So, if anyone has any suggestions - either technical suggestions to try to get my machine going or otherwise, it would be much appreciated.  Unfortunatly, I will most likely be left to return for a refund and purcahse something simular elsewhere.  Not the outcome I really wanted.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 568
Message 2 of 4

Re: Y700 DOA from factory - exception for in-home repair?

Just want some clarification on your statement "3. Support supervisor suggested taking the DOA machine to the US then having it serviced there, but as anyone who has flown recently knows, airport security will not allow laptops through security if they don't turn on.". Does this restriction for 2016 since I haven't experience it in August of lastyear traveling from the US to Winipeg and back?

novaspring
Paper Tape
Views: 553
Message 3 of 4

Thanks LenBlazer, let me clarify.  This issue is not particular to traveling to the US. At any Canadian airport you must past through security screening regardless of your destination, before proceeding to your gate.  During the screening process you are asked to remove any large electronics from your carry on (ie laptop).  If the Screening Officer does not like the look of something you are taken to secondary screening where your belongings might be swabbed (for drugs, explosives, etc), usually it is your large electronics.  At the discression of the SO, he/she can ask you to turn on your electronics to ensure they are working.  Why a person get chosen is not for this form (there are lots around) but based on my travel experiences I have been subject to secondary screening several times in 2015.  Taking a non working laptop through screening you run the risk of having it seized....with the $$$ investment I just made, not a risk I want to take especially when the machine was DOA at hour 0.

Hope this helps with your question.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 547
Message 4 of 4

@novaspring wrote:

Thanks LenBlazer, let me clarify.  This issue is not particular to traveling to the US. At any Canadian airport you must past through security screening regardless of your destination, before proceeding to your gate.  During the screening process you are asked to remove any large electronics from your carry on (ie laptop).  If the Screening Officer does not like the look of something you are taken to secondary screening where your belongings might be swabbed (for drugs, explosives, etc), usually it is your large electronics.  At the discression of the SO, he/she can ask you to turn on your electronics to ensure they are working.  Why a person get chosen is not for this form (there are lots around) but based on my travel experiences I have been subject to secondary screening several times in 2015.  Taking a non working laptop through screening you run the risk of having it seized....with the $$$ investment I just made, not a risk I want to take especially when the machine was DOA at hour 0.

Hope this helps with your question.

Thanks for the clarification. As stated earlier I have not experience it while moving from an airport to another airport in Canada on my way back here in the US. I do am subjected to a secondary screening but its not because of my notebook, ipad, etc but due to my carying my daily medicine with me. But I see your point. It's possible. Thanks again for  the explanation.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors