Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nathantse53
Paper Tape
Views: 1,057
Message 1 of 5

Y700... Loud fan? Normal or not?

I recently bought the Y700 from lenovo. I have a question regarding the fan in this system..

Hoping someone can chime in. Is the fan suppose to run ALL the time? When I'm gaming, the fan kicks in "decently" loud, but the sounds of the game kinda covers it up. When in idle (webbing, videos), there seems to be a faint fan noise. However, when I begin to open more tabs, the fans kicks in momentarily, then lowers back down.

The temp of the computer is warm when gaming ~ 65C, and when doing regular stuff on the web ~ 37C. 

Is this normal or is something wrong?

Jourdy288
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,018
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y700... Loud fan? Normal or not?

This is normal. My Y700 has always sounded like a jet engine.

However, when I'm playing a game in 3D, the fans kick up to max and then the computer crashes. Something's wrong with the GPU and the drivers, I suspect, but I haven't gotten help fixing it.

Zabi1994
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 998
Message 3 of 5

I think the Ideapad Y700 line has some fan/throttling issues.. My Y700 also seems to have its fan running all the time although not very loud.. I can barely hear it (if I actually put my ears close to the laptop) but if I put my hands on the rear I can feel air being blown out from within the laptop.. The air is not hot though, actually its pretty cold and not even warm on light tasks (web browsing, youtube, document editing).. It does get hot on heavy gaming but I suppose that's normal..

I did face an almost similar issue as you did whereby the fan got really loud really quick and then in seconds went back to being quiet.. Probably twice and the last occurrence was about 2 weeks ago if I remember correctly.. Personally, I don't think it is much of an issue, provided that the fans are not as loud (can't hear under the sound of my ceiling fan) and there is no performance hit..

Ohh, and I don't seem to notice any hit on battery life as well.. I put on around 20-30% for both display brightness and speaker volume level.. On 100% battery level unplugged, I still get around 7 hours of battery life (web browsing, youtube, music, document editing, Android emulator/virtualization) in case you're wondering..

Guru
Views: 986
Message 4 of 5

Sounds normal to me but it depends on your room temprature and cleanliness, be sure to always have the vents clear of dust and unblocked. If you choose any power plan other than High Performance your laptop will be more quiet

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

Nathantse53
Paper Tape
Views: 973
Message 5 of 5

Ohh I see. If this is normal behavior of the computer than I guess that's that. 

I was comparing it to my girlfriends's Lenovo flex3, I believe its has a 1TB HDD & a small maybe 32GB SSD, but that thing is super slient. Even when watching videos or using progamming softwares, you can't hear a thing. However, I never tried to game on the flex3. 

For my Y700, I run the battery mode on balance, & brightness 85%. I keep the laptop leveled on a cooling pad that is on as well. But even so, browsing on the web the fan is still spinning, but not as intense as if I were gaming. 

I mean, at least I'll know it won't overheat right?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors