cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zpyder
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,313
Message 1 of 20

Y700 M.2 upgrade - continuous reboot loop cycle?

Hello all

I recently bought a Y700 laptop with a 128gb M.2 drive and 1tb hard drive.

I've found that the 128gb drive is just about acceptable, but as I do photography editing, the scratch disk essentially consumes the remaining 30gb I have free instantly. I'd also like a bit more breathing room to not have to manage storage space so closely.

So I bought the following:

Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD
SM951 Series MZHPV512HDGL-00000
Capacity - 512GB

I've read that the NVMe version isn't supported, but I assumed that this one would work.

I tried using Acronis True Image to clone/backup the existing drive, made a recovery disk, and used that to restore the backup to the new drive. Up to this point everything seemed to work.

However, upon rebooting, first of all I received a BSOD message saying "Inaccessible_boot_device" and then the system reboots. At this point the loop starts, the screen shows the "LENOVO" text on black for about 10 seconds, switches off, and 2 seconds later turns on to repeat the process ad infinitum. 

Thinking it was an issue with Acronis, I tried using the Windows Installation Media disk to just fresh install windows on the drive. Again it all seemed to work, and was installing fine. However once the installation was complete, again the reboot loop started.

I should add that when the loop is occuring, hitting F2 or any other key doesn't work, so I cannot access the bios to tell the computer to boot from a usb drive etc. To get out of the loop I have to power off the laptop and remove the offending SSD drive, and then reboot. At this point F2 works, allowing me into the BIOS to re-assign the USB drive as a boot priority to try and restore the media etc.

I also tried doing "Windows startup repair", but after a few minutes the repair process said it couldn't repair the drive.

At this point I'm wondering which of the following is happening:

1 - drive is faulty

2 - drive is incompatible (hardware)

3 - drive is incompatible due to out of date drivers (the laptop is only 1 month old)

Any help you can offer is appreciated, as I doubt now I can return the drive given how it has been used now!

matrox00612
Punch Card
Views: 7,288
Message 2 of 20

Re: Y700 M.2 upgrade - continuous reboot loop cycle?

Hi,

1. When installis fresh windows did you erase partitions en recreate?

if not is a most do

2. To access bios during bootloop try powering off and hit One Key Recovery, it will show a small menu with access to bios.

3. To make shure nothing is messing up during Windows installation, remove the Harddrive just use the M.2.

Hope this helps.

zpyder
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,267
Message 3 of 20

Yes I erased the partitions. 

OneKey doesn't work as it's a fresh install without the lenovo factory partitions etc.

I tried disconnecting the hard drive and just using the SSD to ensure there wasn't a conflict. Same thing happened. I think I will try and return the drive and get something that has been known to work with the Y700. It seems a bit funky that no matter how I try to install windows, the drive is only accepted when it is first inserted into the computer.

IE, install windows, it runs. Turn off. Turn on, drive not accessible. Turn off. Take drive out. Turn on, then turn off. Put drive back in, everything works, until you turn the computer off again.

I wonder if the BIOS needs an update to work properly with the drive, however I can't seem to find a way of updating the Y700 ISK bios :/

zpyder
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,255
Message 4 of 20

An apparent fix has been to change the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy, but I kept UEFI as first priorty in boot sequence. Things seem to be working properly now.

Bit odd that the 128gb M.2 drive supplied by Lenovo was fine on UEFI, yet my 512gb one didn't work?

matrox00612
Punch Card
Views: 7,244
Message 5 of 20

Yep it suppose to work as is on UEFI mode, I have installed the mzvpv256hdgl-00000 and just replace the one that came with the Laptop without doing any other changes.

stash64
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,231
Message 6 of 20

Zpyder,

Could you elaborate a little on what you did to finally get out of the infinite "lenovo" loop ?

I am having the exact same issue as you and it has literally ruined my weekend.  I tried multiple attempts at cloning with different software and different settings.  I gave up on that and tried to do a clean install using a UEFI boot flash drive with Win10 and it seemed to work to a point and then would not boot but instead kept turning off and on while showing the Lenovo logo.

I am using a 128gb Samsung SM951.  I tried initializing as GPT first and then MBR but it made no difference.  I'm wondering if I should just toss the SM951 in the garbage and try another M.2 PCIE card.  I suspect the Samsung 950 Pro may not be as difficult since it is a retail version.  And I think it has a different driver because it is recognized by Samsung's Magician tool, whereas the SM951 is not.

zpyder
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,212
Message 7 of 20

The only thing I can think it was was a bios setting somewhere. I disabled secure boot. Changed from uefi boot to legacy support, but kept uefi as the first priority boot mode. Also disabled fast boot. And I enabled the Intel vm option as I figured "why not?".

After that it just seemed to work.

Prior to installing windows I did diskpart clean all on the drive to ensure all partitions were gone, as I suspect it might be an issue somehow with gpt vs mbr.

The windows install was also just done from a USB drive created on another computer.

Hope that helps.
stash64
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,193
Message 8 of 20

Thanks... I'll give that a try.  Did you make all the BIOS changes before or after the Windows install to the M.2 SSD ?

I really want to stick with the SM951.  I forgot that the 950 Pro's are NVMe and, being even newer tech, I am afraid may create even more issues until manufacturers and Microsoft have all the proper drivers and BIOS updates in place.

zpyder
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,184
Message 9 of 20

Can also check this thread I made on the acronis forums, the last post might help you?

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/110357

stash64
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,165
Message 10 of 20

Interesting that the last poster in the Acronis thread is insisting that we need to go thru a number of steps to ensure that the OS is installed to the SM951 in UEFI mode... but based on your experience and a YouTube video I discovered, it would appear that it only works if the install is run in legacy mode and then returning the bios to UEFI only after a successful install.  All very counter-intuitive and it suggests to me that there is something not quite right about the SM951 drivers.  I read somewhere that the drivers are internal to the SM951 SSD.

I think I am going to try the UEFI install one last time per the poster in the Acronis thread and, if that fails, I will try your method.  I've ordered Acronis software, but I think I have given up on trying to clone to the SM951.

Here is the YouTube video I referenced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors