02-19-2017

US

23 Signins

316 Page Views

• Views: 316
  • Message 1 of 1

Y700 PSREF SSD Info Seems to be Accurate

2017-02-20, 19:11 PM

I was going to post this in a prior new post but it disappeared so no sure if that is because I'm new or if there was some complication with it since it was there and now not...  Anyway,

I was given some direct information from Support and then in turn from an "Expert" that when the PSREF says that a particular Y700 laptop runs a SATA 3 SSD then that machine can only be upgraded with that bus design.  Not saying that it may not act like AHCI so it can handle an NVMe but as in high end performance SATA mode (correct me if that is accurate). But anyway SATA 3 drive units should be expected to perform as such.  If you have an 15ISK machine that comes with a PCIe NVMe drive then you are good to go on upgrades in that format.  Someone not in Support noted that the M2 only designation machines can run NVMe but that is not certain.  Also from non- Support feedback, there was a mention that the issue with the DMI "capped" issue was more of a motherboard limitation so that was the reason for the limited top end performance for the NVMe drive units. This is not confirmable either but just putting it out there as something that was stated.  I did not address the reverse compatibility with the NVMe SSDs since it was a very bad connection...Sorry   :/

Just a footnote that maybe all this information is just conjecture although direct info from Lenovo. Just saying this is what I was told today when I pressed for answers to the question(s).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete