Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rafe91
Blue Screen Again
Views: 802
Message 1 of 3

Y700 - Webcam flashes on and off

Recently, the integrated camera on my Y700 (identified in device manager as Lenovo EasyCam) has stopped working - when invoked by any application that uses it (Skype, Windows' camera app, browser-based chat like Facebook or Google hangouts, etc), the activity light beside the camera will blink on and off, and the camera's image-capturing ability is doing the same, which is to say, it's utterly useless.

Diagnostic steps I have already taken:

- checked for and installed driver updates (the most recent is from Sept 2016)

- uninstalled and reinstalled the device *without* deleting the driver in device manager

- uninstalled and reinstalled the device *with* deleting the driver in device manager

- running anti-virus and system repair utilities

- performing a complete Windows 10 system reinstall from the Lenovo recovery partition

Is there anything else to be done, or is this a hardware failure?

Guru
Views: 799
Message 2 of 3

Re: Y700 - Webcam flashes on and off

I suspect this is a hardware failure, probably the camera cable is damaged. Just to be 100% sure, try to boot from a linux usb stick and see if the same behaviour still occurs.

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

rafe91
Blue Screen Again
Views: 769
Message 3 of 3

Re: Y700 - Webcam flashes on and off

... you don't live in a house with a dozen cats. do you have any idea how challenging it is to keep usb sticks where you last put them? :-D

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll give it a try (and my GF is going to be *so smug* if "use linux, noob" is the solution; she has, thus far, heroically resisted the urge to say that, but I know she's been thinking it *really loudly*).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors