Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zergged
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 374
Message 1 of 9

Y700 Win 10 Two Monitors, screen saver, all applications move to laptop

I think the title is self-explanatory but I will do my best to answer questions. I am using an HDMI-to-HDMI cable at the moment.

Movement of applications occurs from external to laptop screen, same orientation/snap as they were more or less. Sometimes the desktop shortcuts get screwed up too.

Guru
Views: 336
Message 2 of 9

Re: Y700 Win 10 Two Monitors, screen saver, all applications move to laptop

The question or information is unclear.

Could you please state what is the issue here? or are you trying to provide a solution?

Thank you.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Zergged
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 328
Message 3 of 9

Okay, it is a problem.

Display settings: Monitor 1 is 27 in external monitor, main display. Monitor 2 is the Y700's screen.

There would be let's say 4 applications/windows open on Monitor 2, snapped to be completely inside the screen and stacked on each other.

Monitor 1 has almost exclusively one application, usually a game, but so far the type of thing opened on Monitor 1 has not had bearing on the problem.

Upon the computer locking, whether by screensaver or by manually locking the computer, every single application currently open on both screens decide to re-orient themselves in more or less the same arrangement, but all on Monitor 1. Monitor 2 is now devoid of application windows.

Guru
Views: 324
Message 4 of 9

It seems like somehow your laptop is thinking that the HDMI cable has been unplugged.

1) Make sure you are using 'Extend these displays' setting under the Display Options.

2) It could be a faulty HDMI cable. Test another one, not same brand if you have.

3) Check the Power plan settings > Advanced Power plan settings and make sure that Intel Graphics power plan is on Balanced or High performance.

Let me know if either of those help you out.

I have a Y700 connected to my TV via HDMI, I can test it out later in the evening.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Zergged
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 315
Message 5 of 9

1: Double-checked, and this is enabled.

2: I went and bought a completely new HDMI cable (needed to replace really old crappy Comcast no-name ones anyways...). Plugged it in, let the Y700 sit, aaaaand same thing. Everything still moved from Monitor 2 into Monitor 1.

3: I am hoping Maximum Performance is the same as high. Although, I am going to switch to Balanced and see if that changes anything.

Another thing: the HDMI port on the Y700 is somewhat loose, or the cable still can wiggle when inserted all the way. This was a problem I had/have with my previous Y50 as well, though if it was slightly tapped it would lose connection.
Zergged
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 313
Message 6 of 9

Changing from Max to Balanced did nothing.

dhonzik
Punch Card
Views: 309
Message 7 of 9

Do you have auto arrange icons turn on? Right click on the desktop then select view to check. When you return from a locked state windows may be initializing the desktop and rearrange the icons on the primary display. Uncheck and see if you still have the problem

Zergged
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 303
Message 8 of 9

Auto arrange icons was turned on, so I turned it off. Nothing.

BUT, then I thought "hey, what if dhonzik was on to something?" I turned off snap desktop icons to grid.

Locked, screen went off, logged back in and voila! It didn't screw up the layout!

Thank you dhonzik and rockykoston!
Zergged
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 270
Message 9 of 9

Unfortunately the hiccup occurred again. This fix does work, but not all the time. Sort of back to the drawing board...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors