Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-14-2016

ISRAEL

2 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 1 of 38

Y700 black screen

2016-01-14, 17:22 PM

My Y700 is a month old and i loved it

until today!

my screen won't turn on no matter what i do! no logo no nathing i can control the back lights on the key board with FN+space and thats it!

i tried to connet another screen - didnt help

i tried rebootind - didnt help

i dont know what to do no external battery so cant discharge and no screnn so basicly nothing i CAN do

i dont want to send it back 'cous i need the stuff on it fot a test next week

pls helpppp!!

Answer
Options

1609 Posts

09-16-2014

United States of America

3048 Signins

61403 Page Views

• Views: 61403

Re: Y700 black screen

2017-02-14, 19:34 PM

In response to customer reports that Y700-15ISK, Y700-15ISK Touch, and Y700-17ISK laptops do not wake from sleep mode, may unexpectedly reboot, or may show a Yellow Bang, Lenovo has provided a Service TIP.

The Service TIP is available here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht118255

Thank you,

Replies(37)
Options

6 Posts

01-14-2016

Poland

25 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 2 of 38

2016-01-15, 0:32 AM

Same here. Owned the laptop for about a month. Had a very similar problem on boot there was Lenovo logo with the spinning circle afterwards nothing but black screen. (I could change the brightness using fn + arrow keys) after waiting few minutes I've shut down the laptop manually (by pressing the power button for a few seconds). Next time it boots fine, a bit long though, with Lenovo logo and the black screen before windows logging screen appeared :) Looks like it's not just you. Mine came back to life though.

Aside this little incident I'm enjoying the laptop a lot. Sadly can't say it's been flawless, having other problems with it (CPU temps, none of lenovo apps working properly)

i7 6700HQ

RAM 8GB

4GB GTX 960M

1TB SATA

Win 10

Options

13 Posts

01-05-2016

San Jose, CA

19 Signins

216 Page Views

• Views: 216
  • Message 3 of 38

2016-01-15, 16:39 PM

Same problem for me also, at least very similar.  I had my Y700 for a month, during that time it failed to wake up from sleep mode several times, meaning I would press the power button and release but no result.  In those cases it had to be hard-rebooted by holding down the power button until lights on the front turned off, then press it again to turn back on, losing any unsaved files.  Within the first week of ownership I learned to avoid Sleep mode entirely and use Shut Down even if I wanted to take a short break from the computer.  Sometimes I forgot though.

After a month, one time I left it overnight plugged in and forgot to shut it down.  It went into Sleep automatically and in the morning it wouldn't wake up.  This time it was the black screen of death, it never woke up.  I called support, we did a power drain, this and that.  Nothing helped, the Lenovo logo never appeared, it never booted up.  Strangely the keyboard backlight would turn on when I pressed the power button, but nothing appeared on the display.

If you need your files, you could do what I did:  I took apart my M700 and removed the SSD.  I bought an M.2 SSD enclosure from Fry's, put the SSD into it, and plugged it into a different computer.  Then I was able to access the files on the hard drive and recover what I needed.  Be sure to look in all folders, some are located deep into the hierarchy where you might not think to look.  Afterward I cleared all data (didn't want to send my personal files to Lenovo) using a quick format, then put the SSD back into the Y700 and closed it back up.

When I called the first level of support, they told me this problem is quite possibly a bad motherboard or memory.  I sent it back 3 weeks ago and still waiting.

Lenovo, are you listening to these issues?  This needs to be fixed.  I am starting to compile a list of places on the web where people are talking about problems with the Y700 model.  It seems Lenovo has gone cheap with hardware components, or with testing, despite their great reputation with other models.

Even on my favorite site for laptop reviews, notebookcheck.net, in their Y700 15" review they mention problems with waking from sleep mode.  It happened to them during the review!  But they couldn't reproduce it consistently.  This seems to be a widespread problem for the Y700, not just a fluke for a low percentage of them.  

I hope someone is sending our forum posts to the technical department, so we can inform their work on fixing the problems.  If there are issues affecting most or all of Y700s, Lenovo should either recall them, or release BIOS updates, or whatever is necessary so that all Y700 users will feel good about their ownership of this product.  I had high hopes for the Y700, and it's still possible to turn this around if they acknowledge the issues exist, fix them and make it right by all the customers.

Options

1 Posts

01-16-2016

Portugal

2 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 4 of 38

2016-01-16, 10:52 AM

Surprise, surprise... I have the exact same issue.

This seems a frequent problem with  Lenovo range of notebooks.

I was already pretty disappointed with my Y700 to start with. Random issues with USB and Wi-fi that would come and go, starting from sleep is/was a nightmare, fan weird noise when starting, screen resolution (thats more to do with windows, I guess), and now this.

The screen won't turn on, no matter what, Tried hooking up to another screen and nothing. Did the start button trick after letting the battery die, and nope, nothing.

It's a shame that after a month (28 days actually!) I'll have to send it to warranty.

Had I known that Lenovo would be this unreliable, I would obviously chosen other brand.

Way to impress a first time costumer...

Options

13 Posts

01-05-2016

San Jose, CA

19 Signins

216 Page Views

• Views: 216
  • Message 5 of 38

2016-01-16, 21:41 PM

Oops, I wrote "I took apart my M700 and removed the SSD." when I meant to say Y700.

Options

18 Posts

12-28-2015

Poland

42 Signins

285 Page Views

• Views: 285
  • Message 6 of 38

2016-01-19, 14:11 PM

I have the same problem, black screen... only backlit of the keyboard... exactly 1 month after recieving it!!!! Do you have any update on repair from lenovo?

Options

49 Posts

06-28-2015

Florida

54 Signins

437 Page Views

• Views: 437
  • Message 7 of 38

2016-01-19, 15:16 PM
I know most of you tried this, but in case anyone didn't get the memo..

Make sure that after its booted up, if the screen is dark you try the fn+f2 combo to turn on the screen backlight.

Just a PSA for those who missed it. IF that doesn't solve your problem, you'll need tech support.
Options

4 Posts

01-19-2016

Polska

21 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 8 of 38

2016-01-19, 22:21 PM

I bought Lanovo Y700-15ISK on 9 January 2016, sleep of death was at 18.01'2016... so i Think is really dangerous hardware bug... I think, Lenovo must, take all of Y700 to service, and repair at own cost. If not, they will have really big problems at seeling new laptops...

Tryied :

- remove battery
- battery drain and recharge
- bios reset

- fn+f2/3

Didn't help...

so i Wan my money back. I will buy something new but not from lenovo. 

Never trust anymore.

ps: My bro working at computer store, and he told me:
Someone buy brand new Lenovo Y700 like you (me), and gived back after 2 hours (black screen). So i Think is really big problem.

Options

49 Posts

06-28-2015

Florida

54 Signins

437 Page Views

• Views: 437
  • Message 9 of 38

2016-01-20, 15:12 PM

Its always difficult to assess how widespread a problem is.

Let’s say that 3% of laptops sold will fail within the first month.

If Lenovo sold 500 laptops, that means 15 people are going to have a problem.

485 people will be happy with their purchase.

Those 15 people will report to multiple sites, post questions on the support forum, tell their friends, get word of mouth from other people, and etc. The other 485 people who are happy with a good product... they're probably going to go on with their lives. They have no reason to visit the support forum or spread information since the product is working as it should be. A very few of those will post up a review or maybe tell a friend who is looking to buy a laptop that they are happy with theirs.

So what ends up happening is that what the public will see about the product will be skewed towards the negative. The 15 people with a problem are much noisier than the 485 without one. This can lead someone to believe that a problem is more widespread than it is. The bad noise about the Y700 would have to dramatically increase before we can suspect that this is a widespread problem in this line of laptops. Only Lenovo can definitively tell if there is a design flaw since they can keep track of what the actual failure rate is.

I'm sure Lenovo will be happy to refund your purchase or repair your device. As of yet, I'm not sure we can draw a conclusion about whether this is a really big problem, if Lenovo should do a mass recall, or if you should be dissuaded from purchasing Lenovo products in the future. Lenovo already will repair all sold laptops at no cost for one year and will refund purchased laptops that fail within the first month.

DOA failure rates are common from all manufacturers. I've had a good experience with Lenovo repairs and if they make mistakes, I’m always compensated for them.

Lenovo is not completely blameless though, in my experience their lack of transparency, communication, and sloth like behavior when addressing user concerns or releasing updates is condemnable.

Options

4 Posts

01-19-2016

Polska

21 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 10 of 38

2016-01-20, 17:36 PM
At one shop only in my country, was sold 23 laptops lenovo y700, returned at warranty 21, any questions?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms