Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

01-28-2016

United States

13 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 21 of 38

Re: Y700 black screen

2016-01-28, 17:58 PM
If that's what turns the screen on and off, yes.

You can tell the screen is on, it's a dark blue / backlit color. When you press the button it goes pure black.
Options

11 Posts

01-28-2016

United States

13 Signins

63 Page Views

• Message 22 of 38

2016-01-29, 14:25 PM

I found something quite interesting.

This issue, at least for me, may be related to the Microsoft Edge browser (or something the browser loads, Flash, etc.).

When putting espn3.com in the url bar and hitting enter my screen goes black IMMEDIATELY. I have no mouse cursor or anything happenning on the screen, BUT... if I move my mouse to the upper right (just guessing where the cursor is) and manage to close the window by hitting X on the browser - BOOM, screen comes back.

Any ideas?

Again, this is a BRAND new machine, this started day one.

Options

49 Posts

06-28-2015

Florida

54 Signins

437 Page Views

• Views: 437
  • Message 23 of 38

2016-01-29, 17:15 PM

That's a good point, now that i think about it, when i first got mylaptop i used edge exclusively to give ita shot. I'd often get intel gpu failed and has been restarted messages when using it. I was using the laptop stock at that time. I later reformatted and pulled video drivers directly from the manufacturers. I thougth that fixed it but maybe it went away because i switched back to chrome....

Anyway, needless to say, i havn't had a problem since updating the video drivers directly from windows or intel and switching away from edge. Not sure which fixed it... but not one crash since...

Options

11 Posts

01-28-2016

United States

13 Signins

63 Page Views

• Message 24 of 38

2016-01-29, 17:22 PM

Well, looks like we're getting somewhere!

The first thing I did when I received the black screen was update the Nvidia drivers (not Intel, I guess I hadn't realized there are two GPUs - not sure why there are?).

I've since still gotten the black screen, I believe ONLY when using Edge or waking up from sleep (though the browser may have been on the screen when I put the machine to sleep... which would explain that.)

I don't believe it's any sort of GPU or heat issue, as once I'm in a game the machine runs great.

For now, I chalk this up to something to do with Edge. I'll update the Intel GPU drivers and experiment some more. It's much easier than getting in touch with tech support or ship this thing back - I'd prefer to troubleshoot it on my own if possible.

I'm still getting the GPU crash pop up.

Options

49 Posts

06-28-2015

Florida

54 Signins

437 Page Views

• Views: 437
  • Message 25 of 38

2016-01-29, 17:24 PM
I agree. There are 2 gpus for battery life. They switch automatically for gaming. Performance is equal for other uses but lets you use it longer on battery.
Options

11 Posts

01-28-2016

United States

13 Signins

63 Page Views

• Message 26 of 38

2016-01-29, 17:28 PM

I see. Thanks.

I'll post anything else I discover.

Options

11 Posts

01-28-2016

United States

13 Signins

63 Page Views

• Message 27 of 38

2016-01-29, 17:42 PM

Searching "Microsoft Edge Black Screen" seems to produce a lot of results regarding video playback / black screens. This supports what I found and doesn't seem to be a Lenovo specific issue (though this should never be shipped with such a glaring QA issue.)

Options

11 Posts

01-28-2016

United States

13 Signins

63 Page Views

• Message 28 of 38

2016-02-01, 14:44 PM

Zero issues since I stopped using Edge.

Options

7 Posts

02-08-2016

UK

14 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 29 of 38

2016-02-10, 14:21 PM

Guys,

Sorry for the long post but thought it may help some of you, I had a terrible experience with Lenovo and right now I'm giving my Y700-15ISK one week to stay 'OK' otherwise I'll get a full refund and never use them again.

I bought my laptop the first week of Jan, first one I received the screen started flashing and distorting as soon as I took it out the box and pressed the power button, it seemed to be a loose connection and would be fine at a certain angle (within a 10-15° window). Thought it was an issue similar to the Windows 10 / Norton thing but found if I pressed on the case near the left hinge it got so bad the screen just freaked out and went black until I took my finger off the casing.

Had to wait 4 weeks for the retailer to get some back in stock and got a second one delivered on the 1st Feb, as soon as I opened the laptop and pressed the power button I saw a complete single row of dead pixels vertically, seriously      off at this point. The retailer was pretty good and got me a replacement sent out on Monday this week.

The first day on Monday I was gutted and on the verge of calling the retailer and telling them to pick the third laptop up and just refund my £1,100! The screen was going mental, kept flashing and an error message saying something about "various program names" blocked from accessing graphics memory, seriously this was one after the other about 30 times, the screen was staying black between reboots for several minutes, nothing seemed to work (NVIDIA control panel refused to connect to the internet on all three laptops I tried), and there was a program called something like 'Lenovo application accelerator'? This thing was KILLING my laptop! Seriously the only thing I tried to do was remove the     McAfee trial and install avast, 1 hr later the progress bar was 5%, it was performing like a £200 netbook, or like it had a memory hog virus.

I uninstalled this Lenovo program and immediately it was a hundred times better, but the black screen was still there, whenever the laptop went to sleep it wouldn't wake up (**bleep**?!), or if it was turned off for an hour and I came back the black screen would return after the Lenovo logo on startup, I had to hard-rest it every time. Oh and the touchpadwere terrible! My touchpad kept locking up for 5 mins then when I wasn't touching the laptop it started freaking out and moving on it's own, highlighting text on the page, re-sizing the screen etc. It was like it was cathcing up everyting I had done earlier! 

Yesterday (Tues) I thought       this, grabbed a Windows 10 USB and wiped the complete drive, and all partitions. I did a clean install and Windows installed pretty much every driver I needed, the only things I installed myself were the NVIDIA panel and driver (from NVIDIA direct! Don't use Lenovo's as it doesn't connect to the internet!), I only took from Lenovo's website the intel drivers (chipset controller, rapid storage drivers etc.), bluetooth controller, touchpad drivers and the Dolby sound driver/utility package. Don't install the Lenovo softwate seriously, the Intel drivers seem fine but the application accelerator and especially the power management & ACPI (or AHCI)       is seriously useless and I suspect is causing these problems.

I've been using this laptop now for two days without any of the            Lenovo apps (power management, accelerator etc.) and it is a BEAST! In fact the Passmark benchmark score went from around 3200 to 3832.5!! No blank screen issues and no touchpad issues or anything else.

Really hope this helps other people, it takes 20 mins to re-install Windows 10 and at the most an hour or two to install all your programs and restore files from backup (depending on internet connection etc. but this laptop was complete             for me until I wiped away Lenovo's software, it's a completely new laptop now and totally warrants the price.

Cheers

Matt

Mod's Edit: Please keep in mind that these forums are accessed by people of all ages. Profanity
                     and attempted profanity by circumventing the profanity filter is prohibited by
                    Forum Guidelines and have been removed.

Options

11 Posts

01-28-2016

United States

13 Signins

63 Page Views

• Message 30 of 38

2016-02-10, 14:32 PM

What an awful experience.

Luckily, from the moment I stopped using the Edge browser I have not had a single issue.

Question, since contacting customer service seems like an excrutiating process... do you lose any warranty/return policy privaleges if you reinstall Windows on the machine (which would be my next step, if I experienced more issues)?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms