cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YAMAHAMMER
Fanfold Paper
Views: 405
Message 1 of 4

Y700 flashing loading icon. odd while hovering battery, wifi, and volume. Lenovo support a let down?

I have a stock Y700, recently the little circle loading icon next to the mouse pointer keeps flashing every 2-3 seconds for about 1 second. When I look at the processes its showing CPU running near 100

"Service Host: SCOM Service Process Launcher (6)" is running around 50% most of the time. 

I contacted Lenovo support to see if they could give me some direction or assistance. Upon describing the problem they just told me to restore my computer. I didnt even get to tell them anything regarding the CPU etc. I essentially stated the same as my title on this post and she told me to do a system restore. It wouldnt be the end of the world for me to have to backup and then restore. I just feel like there was zero effort to fix whatever the problem was, just restore it and start over. 

Am I crazy? Is this just a well know solution to a common problem that no search results turned up for on here? Or was the tech just lazy? Can anyone help me out? This is my first post here, so if there is needed information I've left out let me know and I'll provide it asap. 

I've noticed there is an odd behavior when hovering over the battery, wifi, and volume buttons. 

Short video of the issue

*Edit, I accidentally made a thread before this one and dont know how to delete it. Sorry :/

Jimbo206
Paper Tape
Views: 338
Message 2 of 4

Re: Y700 flashing loading icon. odd while hovering battery, wifi, and volume. Lenovo support a let d

There was a BIOS update issued for some of the Y700's, do you have the latest bios and updates for your model? I have the Y700-15ACZ and the latest BIOS update fixed many issues for this model.

YAMAHAMMER
Fanfold Paper
Views: 290
Message 3 of 4

Re: Y700 flashing loading icon. odd while hovering battery, wifi, and volume. Lenovo support a let d

Just checked and there are 10 updates available for mine. Somehow the automatic updates had been turned off and the last updates were 5 months ago. Will update after they're installed. Thank you, fingers crossed. 

YAMAHAMMER
Fanfold Paper
Views: 274
Message 4 of 4

Ok, so I ran all the updates that were available. Still had the same problem. However, after booting post updates a .cmd screen popped up for a split second but I didnt catch what was running. I thought that was odd since it never used to, so I booted again and took a screenshot. (which I've attached) 

Then searched my programs for "Windows Assesment Toolkit" and uninstalled it. That did the trick. No more flashing loading icon!

I used to get an error message on boot but never paid much attention to it, mostly because I had  no idea what it meant. After the update instead of the error it showed the cmd screen. Is this pre installed on our computers? I've never downloaded anything like this or given anything permission to run outside of whatever was set to run from the factory. 

SO....  what I've come away with.

Lenovo tech support is pointless. I was instructed to restore my notebook back to factory or (wipe it). Got on here, Jimbo206 directed me to update. After the udpate, found the problem myself and fixed it. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors