Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JanineKindon
Paper Tape
Views: 336
Message 1 of 8

Y700 touchpad clicks stopped working

My 4 mth old laptop touchpad clicks have suddenly stopped working. I've tried re-installing the relevant software although when opening I get a 'software not found' message. I've reset the Elan options to default too. The touchpad works fine for mouse scrolling but neither the left or right click pads nor the main pad clicks are working.

I'm out of ideas now and am hoping it's not a hardware related thing. tbh the touchpad has never been brilliant. It would open a right click menu by itself although that stopped a while back. I'm going to try a system restore next. I'm just thankful I managed to find an old usb mouse Smiley Happy

Just wondering if there is anything else I should try before ringing Lenovo technical support.

Thanking you all in advance Smiley Happy

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 320
Message 2 of 8

Re: Y700 touchpad clicks stopped working

A few questions

What version of Windows are you running?

Are you getting the "Software Not Found" error when trying to install the Touch Pad driver, and if so, have you tried saving the installation file somewhere other than in the downloads folder (e,g, on the desktop)?

Have you tried first uninstalling the touchpad driver before reinstalling?

Hopefully your system restore will work, but running a standard disk check ( chkdsk c: /f ) might be in order too.

Cheers,

JanineKindon
Paper Tape
Views: 309
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your quick reply JDGillis Smiley Happy

I'm running Windows 10.

Yes I'm getting Software Not Found error when trying to install the touchpad driver, as yes I uninstalled the driver before re-installing.

System restore didn't work sadly.

I'll try the dishcheck now Smiley Happy
JanineKindon
Paper Tape
Views: 307
Message 4 of 8

that would be disk check lol
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 302
Message 5 of 8

Typically the "software not found" message would indicate that a prerequisite software application is missing in order to install a patch or update, so I am at a loss as to why you are seeing that error when running the installer.    

Are there any details given in the "software not found message" that might point to what "software" the installer is looking for?

Have you scanned for malware using something like Malwarebytes free scanner  (note that at the end of the installation, you can choose to opt out of trying the full version that runs in realtime, and just use the free manual scanner)

Have you tried installing the driver in Safe Mode?

JanineKindon
Paper Tape
Views: 298
Message 6 of 8

Ah no, you misunderstand me. I uninstalled the driver and re-downloaded it, but when I came to install it THEN I got the software not found message.

Personally I think it's a hardware issue. It seems strange that literally, one minute the touchpad clicks were working and then not :/
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 281
Message 7 of 8

I understood what you were saying, but it seems that the installer for the touchpad driver is looking for some other software/driver, and it may be the lack of the other software/driver that is causing your issue.   

It is possible that the ribbon cable that connects the touchpad to the motherboard is a loose or damaged, which is certainly possible, but the error during the driver install is mighty suspicious too.   If your system is under warranty, then you might call support and open a ticket.    If not, and you feel up to it, you might be able to remove the back cover and see if there is a loose connection.    You can find the Hardware Maintenance Manual for your system at the http://support.lenovo.com website for your paticular model were you download drivers from the "Documentation" link within the blue band. 

One thing you might try is to run Windows's System File Check utility to see if perhaps a Windows system file is corrupt or missing.    It can take up to an hour to run, and may appear to freeze at times, but just let it run until it complete.   It will attempt to replace any damaged or missing Windows system files from a backups stored in the Windows Component Store.   If it cannot repair one or more files, then you will have to run DISM to first to fix the files in the Windows Component Store, and then run the SFC scan again to fix the files previously unrepairable.

How to run an SFC scan

• From a Command Prompt (Admin) type:   sfc /scannow   and press enter.

Let the scan run till complete, even it if does appear to pause, which it will do from time to time while working.

You should get one of three results.

• "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" (If you get this message, then system file corruption was not your problem)
  • "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.   Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" (If you get this message, then your problem might have been resolved)
  • Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log   If you get the message below, and are running Windows 8.1 or 10, then you will need to run DISM to first repair the Windows Component Store, and then run an SFC scan again to repair the files that it could not fix earlier

How to run DISM (Windows 8.x and 10)

Note:  An Internet Connection is required to run DISM

• From a Command Prompt (Admin) type:  DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  and press Enter

Once DISM completes, you must run another SFC scan to repair files that the SFC scan was previously unable to repair.

JanineKindon
Paper Tape
Views: 269
Message 8 of 8

I will try the sfc scan cheers Smiley Happy

If it doesn't fix anything then I'm more than happy to open the back and check for loose ribbons.

If all else fails I'll open a ticket.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors