Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CataF
802.11n
Views: 414
Message 1 of 6

Y720 battery not charging

So I have the laptop since octomber 2017 and since then it was a total of around 15minutes on battery power (I use it plugged in) and the battery was always between 55-60% (conservation mode was allways on). Yesterday I was at the airport and wanted to browse a little before my flight arrived (it was plugged in before I left home, the time lapse from home to airport was around 20 minutes) so I took the laptop out and tried to start it but after pressing the power button nothing happened, I tried several times but still nothing. I found a wall socket and plugged in the laptop and it started without a hitch but the battery indicator said I have 52% battery wich was strage so of course I shut the laptop down and unplugged it and tryed to start it again but in no vain it still would't start on battery.

So here is what I've done so far :

1. Check Vantage to see Battery status

apparently the battery is OK and hase 52% charge

2. Check battery with other hw program

same as vantage battery is ok, 52% charge, wear level 3.5%

3. Check for updates via Vantage and online page

everything is up to date

4. Check for windows updates

everything is up to date

5. Unplug laptop, keep power button pressed for 45 seconds and recheck everything ( point 1-2)

same results

6. Turn off conservation mode and wait to see if it is charging

still 52%

7. Turn on fast charge and wait

You guesst it , still 52%

8. Uninstall battery drivers, restart laptop, recheck point 1-2

still nothing changed

N.B. if I unplug the laptop while it is working it shutsdown

my battery indicator does not show me time until fully charged

checks were made with no extra monitor attached, no cosumers, no wireless on , no bluetooth on , no nothing just the power cord connected

CataF
802.11n
Views: 365
Message 2 of 6

Re: Y720 battery not charging

So the problem still exists not charging but I saw something interesting.

I've seen that I am not the only one having this problem and not the only model with this problem. Nobody has a solution but it is rather strange how everyone has this problem after the newest windows updates. Can anyone that has this issue (regardless of the model) confirm that their problem started after the win uptade ? I know mine appeared after a windows update.

statik1
Paper Tape
Views: 306
Message 3 of 6

Did you manage to solve this ?

I have the exact same issue and i am pretty sure it started after I put in some windows update last week.

My laptop does not power on until it is plugged in.

When I do switch it on with the power plugged in, all is normal and the battery even shows that it is charging.

And my laptop model is Y720 151KB

CataF
802.11n
Views: 287
Message 4 of 6

Hello, no I didn't rezolve it. I wanted to open the laptop and check the conectors but my laptop is still in warranty and I don't want to lose it. I thought of doing a clean windows instal but I don't have the time for that now.

statik1
Paper Tape
Views: 275
Message 5 of 6

I actually did that already and tried the hard reset after disconnecting the battery from the motherboard.

My system is still under warranty, but i understood that just opening the back cover does not void the warranty because i have the option to add an HDD anyways. 

In any case, hope you hear back positive news from the Lenovo support, let me know if they manage to solve this. Smiley Happy 

statik1
Paper Tape
Views: 98
Message 6 of 6

Hey..Just wanted to check if this was resolved finally by the service centre and what was the issue. Did the windows reinstall help ??

I was under the impression that my system is under warranty(which is still is) but apparently the battery was under warranty just for a year and hence expired. Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors