Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rimhawk
Paper Tape
Views: 856
Message 1 of 10

Y720 rattling sound from GPU fan

Hello!

I recently bought Legion Y720 with Nvidia GeForce 1060 (6gb). However, lately I started noticing a very annoying sound coming from GPU fan. Whenever the gpu is not active the sound stops, however, when I play video games the rattling sound starts from underneath the laptop somewhere in the middle. I would compare this sound to a beetle or some bug flapping wings fast. I only have this laptop for about a month but I believe the sound was unnoticable at first and it is getting worse. 

If anyone could suggest me how to minimize the sound or what actions to take? or perhaps this is normal to every y720 with 1060 card? I am just worried it will catch on fire one day or something. Please, advise! 

Rimhawk
Paper Tape
Views: 855
Message 2 of 10

Re: Y720 rattling sound from GPU fan

UPDATE: It gets way worse if the GPU is under stress. I was playing low-requirement game before, but I tried one of the benchmark programs and then it is even louder and very bad!
lenardg
802.11n
Views: 811
Message 3 of 10

I don't think your fan should produce this sound. While fans can be loud when they are spinning fast (when you stress the GPU), it should still be a swooshing sound, no rattling or anything like you describe.

Since you only recently bought the notebook, I would suggest you contact Lenovo Support with this issue.

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
gryzor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 801
Message 4 of 10

I've seen this when either something got into the fan area or when a fan fin has broken off and is being hit by the other as they whoosh over it. If it's that indeed, then expect more fins to start breaking off after a while.
AM_Y520
Broadband 3G
Views: 771
Message 5 of 10

turn off the laptop, remove the back cover and visually inspect it and see if there is something inside, like something stuck on the fan fins and reaching the air intake grill

turn on the laptop with the back cover off, check if the sound is still there without the cover, keep your eye on the fan and look how it's acting, open any heavy game you have (or just activate Extreme Cooling) and see if there is any difference.

if there is nothing visually weird inside and nothing stuck on the fan, but the rattling sound is still there, it may be the fan bearing is faulty making the fan turn eccentrically so it's touching its housing, then you have to call Lenovo support to replace the fan assembly

Rimhawk
Paper Tape
Views: 734
Message 6 of 10

So I took the lid off and the rattling sound is actually coming from the subwoofer area. The two fans on the sides work perfectly. But around the subwoofer area when the laptop is under stress it goes audibly buzzing. What could cause this? Is there another fan under there or is this electrical?

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 731
Message 7 of 10

Only the two fans of the fan assembly are what are moving parts in there. 

Under the subwoofer there are no fans or anything major, if you check out the hardware maintenance manual of the Y720 you will see. I attached an image to this post with the subwoofer removed. I added a red rectangle to where it used to be. (don't mind the yellow rectangles, those are originally in this image). You can find the HMM here: Legion Y720 Hardware Maintenance Manual

y720.JPG

This image is from page 49. If you want to look at the subwoofer assembly, check page 43. It shows how to remove the subwoofer.

I wonder if it is some sort of resonance? Maybe a loose screw or something? Resonance could be an explanation, because you said the sound inreases as the fans spin up faster.

You shouldn't actually poke around the system if it is under warranty (but I will admit to having it done myself with notebooks Smiley Happy ), but of course following the HMM you could check on the different screws in that area of the notebook if you are familiar with notebook assembly/disassembly in general and have good tools. Otherwise I would recommend you either return it or call support to check on the notebook.

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
Rimhawk
Paper Tape
Views: 724
Message 8 of 10

I have strong reason to believe this might be electromagnetic interference (EMI) that causes the subwoofer to produce these buzzing sounds when components around it are working hard. If that's the case there is probably not that much I can do about it right?
Gyuros
Paper Tape
Views: 491
Message 9 of 10

I have this problem too Smiley Sad 

Any idea ?

High fps in game high electric noise in subwoofer.

Rimhawk
Paper Tape
Views: 465
Message 10 of 10

Send it back if you still have warranty. I wonder if turning the subwoofer off would help? I still havent fixed mine Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors