Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

03-29-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 4

Legion Y740-15IRHg laptop exploded

2021-03-29, 22:30 PM

So back in January of this year my Lenovo Y740-15IRHg suddenly stopped working for seemingly no reason. After it shut off I noticed a burning smell and decided to open it up. Turns out a capacitor or something on the motherboard had exploded and left a nice mess behind. I was surprised because I always took good care of the machine. I made sure the vents had proper clearance for good airflow during heavy load, and never overclocked any of the hardware.

It just doesn't seem right. I spent a lot on this machine only for part of it to literally explode 1 1/2 years after I bought it. Pretty sure it should last longer than that. To top it all off, I can't access the nvme drive's contents in any other OS because it uses some kind of Intel interface protocol that prevents that. So, I can't retrieve my data.

Unfortunately for me, my 1-year warranty expired last August. I had read on a forum that someone suggested taking it to Best Buy's Geek Squad. So I did, paid $80 for it to be shipped to a service center, only to get a call from them saying it would cost $1600 for them to replace the motherboard (which is more than I paid for the entire laptop). I declined, and they sent it back.

Which brings us to my current predicament, and my questions. Should I get an extended warranty, and will Lenovo be able to fix it if I do that? Or should I send it to a local service center? Is it going to be incredibly expensive? Is there something else I can do?

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Also, I attached a picture of the damage.

IMG_20210205_201837.jpg
Options

4173 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5894 Signins

69536 Page Views

• Views: 69536
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Legion Y740-15IRHg laptop exploded

2021-03-29, 23:41 PM

Welcome to the Community

Sorry to tell you, you can't extend a warranty after it's expired. Your best bet is to either have a service center replace it, or find a motherboard online, somewhere, and attempt it, yourself. 

In the future, no matter the brand, always get an extended warranty when offered by the manufacturer. Also get damage protection if it's available. 

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

418 Posts

11-29-2019

France

91 Signins

4701 Page Views

• Views: 4701
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-03-30, 7:50 AM
Unfortunately for you, it is recommended that you buy the motherboard yourself and replace it, which can cost less.
Options

23 Posts

06-04-2021

India

11 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-06-04, 6:59 AM
Don't expect much from their support. You only end up wasting more money than before. I'm also having a premium warranty. Although, the Lenovo claims the Next Business Day repairs, they never even confirm anything. Simply, they have your money and now they don't care at all. Stay away from these guys.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms