US

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 3

Y740 Overheat No Start

2020-06-30, 5:31 AM

Hi,

Three days ago, I received my brand new gaming laptop and was loving life. Tonight I come back to my laptop an hour after shutting the lid and notice the logo light is still on. Further, I smell a hot smell and the laptop feels extremely warm to the touch. The keyboard was still lit up, but nothing on the screen when I opened it up. I turned it off and now it will not turn back on. No light from the charger as well. Nothing. I chatted with technical support and they suggested it was a hardware issue and that the in home service would come after receiving the correct parts. When I asked how they knew what the correct parts would be, Jen could not give me a straight answer. Only that they were well trained to know. I am now awaiting an email about the in-home service. Has anyone else worked with in-home service? Will the technician be able to give me a straight response? I am worried that the whole thing is fried (still smell it). This sucks Lenovo. I was really looking forward to some gaming at the end of the day with a new laptop that I payed 1700$ for.  Also, just remembered that the fans were not on at all when I returned, why would the fans not turn on?!

Solved! See the solution
Options

274 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

47 Signins

1875 Page Views

• Views: 1875
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Y740 Overheat No Start

2020-06-30, 9:54 AM

@ Martonik wrote:

Hi,

Three days ago, I received my brand new gaming laptop and was loving life. Tonight I come back to my laptop an hour after shutting the lid and notice the logo light is still on. Further, I smell a hot smell and the laptop feels extremely warm to the touch. The keyboard was still lit up, but nothing on the screen when I opened it up. I turned it off and now it will not turn back on. No light from the charger as well. Nothing. I chatted with technical support and they suggested it was a hardware issue and that the in home service would come after receiving the correct parts. When I asked how they knew what the correct parts would be, Jen could not give me a straight answer. Only that they were well trained to know. I am now awaiting an email about the in-home service. Has anyone else worked with in-home service? Will the technician be able to give me a straight response? I am worried that the whole thing is fried (still smell it). This sucks Lenovo. I was really looking forward to some gaming at the end of the day with a new laptop that I payed 1700$ for.  Also, just remembered that the fans were not on at all when I returned, why would the fans not turn on?!

Hi there Martonik.

Welcome to the Community Forums.

It is indeed very unfortunate when these things happen, but they do happen quite often throughout all types of brands and machinery. Be it when it is assembled on the assembly line or packed, shipped, put together etc. There are so many factors to look at.  

Having that said, the technician that will be arriving will have some replaceable parts with him for the most likely culprits causing the issue you are describing. 

The technician will troubleshoot it and be able to resonate himself towards the problem and then give you a straight response on what it is. Overheating can be one of several things: Fans, power and motherboard.

I have personally bought motherboards, graphic cards and ram that has just not been working when it has arrived, it is quite disappointing, but it is also the reality of very complex electronics. 

There is no doubt in my mind that the technician will fix it and you'll be back up and running in no time! 

Good luck o/

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

I do not respond to private messages.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

06-30-2020

US

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Y740 Overheat No Start

2020-06-30, 14:13 PM
Thank you for this reply Voithos.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete