Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

03-21-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 5

Y740 Switching from RST to AHCI HELP!

2021-05-03, 6:47 AM

Greetings

I have a Lenovo Legion Y740 with a SKHynix_HFS256GD NVMe 256GB Drive and a Samsung 2TB 2.5inch. When I go into the BIOS it says the Controller is RST. I need to run Linux on my system from a Bootable USB for work. Unfortunately When I boot in Linux I only see The Samsung 2TB not the NVMe. Research says its because the controller for the drive is set to RST. When I try to change it it says all the data will be deleted. THAT CAN NOT HAPPEN.
Now I don't think I have any Optane Memory in this thing so i really don't need RST. I have done some research on it and is possible to change it without deleting windows... at least for a Dell and some other lenovos like the thinkpads.

1. Right-click the Windows Start Menu. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    1. If you don’t see Command Prompt listed, it’s because you have already been updated to a later version of Windows.  If so, use this method instead to get to the Command Prompt:
      1. Click the Start Button and type cmd
      2. Right-click the result and select Run as administrator
  2. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    1. If this command does not work for you, try bcdedit /set safeboot minimal
  3. Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup (the key to press varies between systems).
  4. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID (again, the language varies).
  5. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
  6. Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  7. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    1. If you had to try the alternate command above, you will likely need to do so here also: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot
  8. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.

I do Have Acronis Backups and survival kits...

Before I try this....

Has anybody Tried this on the Y740?

Thank you

Options

2656 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

551 Signins

21774 Page Views

• Views: 21774
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Y740 Switching from RST to AHCI HELP!

2021-05-04, 3:18 AM

Hello @Highlander723,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Are you only having issues when trying to use Linux on a bootable USB?

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

978 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

395 Signins

4880 Page Views

• Views: 4880
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-05-04, 15:15 PM

Hello,

Intel RST technology is a different implementation of RAID technology.   So all of your system drives are combined together into one "disk storage archive" and your data is cleverly disbursed onto all available devices to provide redundancy, error correction, and parallel reading and writing using multiple magnetic heads simultaneously.  SSD's don't have magnetic heads, so some kind of logical equivalent exists in the wiring.  So since these are logically combined into just one disk storage unit, the Linux installation programs don't detect more than one disk.

Unsetting the toggles in BIOS for RST, results in requiring a complete re installation of EVERYTHING, and then the data redundancy and speed enhancements no longer work.

If you want to use Linux OS from an external bootable  USB device, a large number of distributions allow building a "live usb with persistence."  Check your desired Linux distribution documenation for details.  The exact keystrokes are different depending on the distribution.  Here is a page for Ubuntu:   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent   I use fedora and in fedora it is possible to encrypt the /home partition within their scheme.

Using persistent live usb should not require changing BIOS settings or anything on the present Windows 10 installation at all.  Just perform orderly shutdown of Windows, (DON"T use the power button, select "SHUTDOWN" command) then while it is off insert bootable media, and then enter boot order screen.   (BOOT FROM USB must be enabled in BIOS....)

Good Luck!

Usedtoberich

Options

4 Posts

03-21-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2021-05-04, 18:15 PM

It's a very strange phenomenon it happens on Linux I tried mint I've tried umbuntu I've tried Fedora all of them have the same problem incidentally it also happens with Hiram rescue CD or any iteration of Windows PE. 

I've been doing some investigating and a lot of people say this particular problem can be solved by switching the controller from RST to AHCI.

My original question was has anybody tried the procedure I put on a Lenovo y740. 

Options

4 Posts

03-21-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-05-05, 0:28 AM

That's the thing though I don't have my two drives in raid mode at least I don't think I do because they show up as two separate drives on my windows drive C and drive d drive C being the NVMe and drive d being the traditional 2 terabyte solid state.

I did not put them into raid. in fact I added the two terabyte drive myself and my computer originally shipped with one drive.

I can understand if my drives were in raid mode and coming up as one drive I could not switch out then but these are not in raid mode they are two separate drives but the controller for some reason is set to RST.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms